Photo
- - - - -

Obama proposes getting rid of some nukes, GOP goes ape shit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#133 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

A few years ago I would have wondered where they would get the money to upgrade. I guess they are counting on a lot of oil money rolling in. If the price of oil keeps going up, they may be right.

#134 chris999

chris999

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

We have the means to dismantle any countries infrastructure with conventional weapons, nuclear weapons are nothing but mass murder/destruction tools and as such are by definition barbaric. The idea that our nuclear arsenal is a deterrent from minor nations holding us hostage with a nuclear weapons is asinine. While some crazy rogue state might wish to detonate a nuclear weapon in order to kill a large amount of our population, us having nuclear weapons isn't going to prevent them from doing so since we can completely annihilate their entire military and civic infrastructure with conventional weapons with ease, without the unnecessary mass murder of a nuclear explosion.

Our nuclear arsenal's purpose isnt to protect us from small rogue nations, it's purpose is to protect us from large powers like Russia and China.

No matter how we feel ethically about nuclear weapons, we cant get rid of them until the other big kids do. Its that simple.

Now, If someone could convince Vladimir Putin and the Chinese Premiere to stand down, then it would be great, but I dnt think that Putin is willing to give up his leverage.

#135 chris999

chris999

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

A few years ago I would have wondered where they would get the money to upgrade. I guess they are counting on a lot of oil money rolling in. If the price of oil keeps going up, they may be right.

Actually, while China is fastly becoming the world's next Superpower, Russia has been on they're heels all along.

Russia still has it's Soviet era ambitions, and the price of oil is exactly why they will reach them.

Now is definately not the time to disarm, especially since Russia and China are riding high on they're new industrial revolutions, while we are drowning in debt with our money-on-paper downfall.

#136 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Soviets have big booms.

#137 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

lol tsarbomba. that thing is half myth, they only made one.

pretty ridiculous though.

very cool site btw.

Edited by mmmbeans, 21 February 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#138 Kaleu

Kaleu

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

In other news...Putin moves to modernize their weaponry

http://en.rian.ru/ru.../171407962.html

Yay for unilateral disarmament!

The new Russian ICBM's are rumored to be capable of penetrating Missile Defense systems. Obama get's rid of nukes because you have a capable Missile Defense system. You are not signing unilateral disarmament agreements without a back-up plan.

Actually, while China is fastly becoming the world's next Superpower, Russia has been on they're heels all along.

I don't think that neither nation will be a superpower on the level of the US and USSR during the Cold War. China will likely rank #1 in several categories but will face a number of very strong regional challengers like Russia, India, Korea (ROK,) Brazil, EU and the USA. Some of the Next Eleven may join this group one day.

Edited by Kaleu, 21 February 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#139 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

Missile defense systems have nothing to do with it. They may help a bit but are nothing to depend on at this point. We just don't need 3000 of the things anymore.