• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm a noob web design major and I'm looking for a forum to go to when I have weird wacky problems that I could use advice on.

It seems odd that I'm asking advice on this but i feel like so many of these forums I find on google might not be the best and it would actually be better to just ask by word of mouth.

#2 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Here

#3 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

bah! i knew that would happen

#4 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

If you're having problems with something then stack overflow. For ideas and articles there are plenty like noupe and psdtuts.

#5 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Yea def stackoverflow. Are you looking for help in actual design or in front-end development?

#6 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

front end development mostly.

#7 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, then definitely stackoverflow - make sure you include all necessary tags in your posts so more people can see it. (HMTL, CSS, Javascript, etc...)

Also, (though not endorsed by the W3C itself) W3Schools has some pretty useful tutorials. A lot of developers shun the site however since it isn't associated with the W3C and has a few tutorials that use bloat code. However, I find it a good resource and reference from time to time.

#8 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

thanks for your replies

#9 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

http://stackoverflow...swfobject-in-js

#10 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

I've never done anything with swfobject but can you not just wrap it in a div and show/hide the div?

#11 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

hmm, when you call the startNewPuzzle function and use:

swfobject.removeSWF("myytplayer");

it completely kills the initialized SWF it seems like. Like natty said, you could put the call to embed the SWFObject into a separate div and utilize like a flipper.

Looking at the API (I haven't messed with SWF either in a while) it seems like it will only re-initialize on a refresh. What happens if you re-register the object after you kill it in your startNewPuzzle function?

#12 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

I've never done anything with swfobject but can you not just wrap it in a div and show/hide the div?

I tried putting a div(for the video) outside the div(image) that holds my images but when the removeSWF object executes it removes everything inside the div(video) as well as the div(video) itself.

At first I made the swfObject equal to my variable hangPicElement and the ID for the embedSWF object was picID but that would take everything out.

The show/hide div thing sounds like it might work I don't think we learned that much we just learned enough html/css to not be totally helpless then went into js

#13 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

hmm, when you call the startNewPuzzle function and use:

swfobject.removeSWF("myytplayer");

it completely kills the initialized SWF it seems like. Like natty said, you could put the call to embed the SWFObject into a separate div and utilize like a flipper.

Looking at the API (I haven't messed with SWF either in a while) it seems like it will only re-initialize on a refresh. What happens if you re-register the object after you kill it in your startNewPuzzle function?

I'll try that soon right now there seems to have been a problem with my website I'm not quite sure what happened. my code didn't update from the other day and it's broken at the moment.

EDIT: I missed a comma when trying your idea so it messed up my initialize function lol

Thanks for your help!

#14 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Between Stack Overflow and Experts Exchange you should be able to get anything you need answered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.