Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death Penalty

135 posts in this topic

Posted

I find those that are pro life and pro death penalty somewhat confusing.

They also tend to be anti-euthanasia as well.

A head scratcher for me.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this issue.

I think for the most part the practice is barbaric, and as currently used not a deterrant.

So if we go ahead and ADMIT that this is good ol' fashioned frontier justice....fine.

I think many people unfamiliar with the criminal justice system ASSUME that the vast majority of guys on death row are innocent. Framed up. Didn't do it.

This simply isn't the case.

SOME, yes.....which makes me say the death penalty, if it fries ONE innocent person, is wrong.

NOW, the FACT is, quite a few cases are very much cut and dried. NOT like on tv. The facts of the case ARE NOT in dispute. The guilty are either caught red-handed, or have even admitted to the crime. With NO shoddy police work.

A case that my brother recently was peripherally involved in had a woman and her two accomplices found guilty of murdering a woman for her unborn baby.

Performed a crude c-section in which the baby survived.....so that she could have a baby of her own.

She and both of her accomplices admitted to the crime and showed absolutely NO remorse for the crime.

In cases where the crime is heinous, the facts are not in dispute, or the defendant admits to the crime, and/or the guilty are caught red-handed, I believe very swift, expedited trial and capital punishment is acceptable.

I simply say this because I can't figure out WHY a lengthy incarceration at taxpayer expense makes any sense. The person has forfeited their right to live by their actions.

Again, my opinion.

And as I stated, I do waffle a bit on this one.

If anything, I hate inconsistency, and when I put myself in the place of someone that has lost a loved one to violence, I know that in my heart I would not be satisfied knowing that the person was still eating meals, watching tv, and working out, maybe even enjoying a bit o' prison lovin' while my loved one is gone.

Honest opinion.

What he said.

Posted

what would happen if all inmates were given solitary confinement, without tv or visitation rights and rope as part of their life in prison sentence? wouldn't that clean out the prisons pretty quick?

Posted

What you just described sounds like Norman, Oklahoma.

Posted

Who are we to play God?

Unacceptable.

We "play God" all day everyday.

Save lives that would otherwise end.

Heck, with that answer we should all be taken to the Christian Science Reading Room after a massive car accident or if a baby gets polio.

Posted

Unacceptable.

We "play God" all day everyday.

Save lives that would otherwise end.

Heck, with that answer we should all be taken to the Christian Science Reading Room after a massive car accident or if a baby gets polio.

You need to read up on your sophocles. :rolleyes:

You as a human have no right to decide whether another human lives or dies.

Kinda why murder is against the law, no? (and why malpractice is bad too :smilewinkgrin:)

The things you listed are either a) god playing god (or fate playing fate, bad luck, etc)

or B) humans playing humans.

Posted

Yeah, lets put Caylees Mom in a comfy cell the rest of her life, hell she might even got out early.

Or spend the millions incarcerating her giving ten needy kids college educations.

Posted

You need to read up on your sophocles. :rolleyes:

You as a human have no right to decide whether another human lives or dies.

Kinda why murder is against the law, no? (and why malpractice is bad too :smilewinkgrin:)

Wha?

Isn't it YOU that needs to read up?

lol

I believe humans make decisions on whether humans should live or die every day, as previously stated. Doctors, family members, generals commiting armies to battle and the leaders that ordered them to war.

So if you mean by that....sophocles thy name is inconsistency....I guess you made your point.

So which is it?

It is ok to make it "the will of God" in some cases, but not in others?

Stupid Greeks.

The will of God argument is weak sauce, since it can never and has never been consistently applied. At least not since we last feared the sabre toothed cat.

Posted

If people would be more honest about why they want to have the death penalty, I might be more receptive.

It's cold, calculated, naked vengeance and nothing more.

Posted

the "will of god" isn't a part of the argument at all.

"playing god" means acting as if you are god regardless of whether you perceive existence of a god or not.

sophocles' ironic twist was that by playing god, you become god. sort of.

And usually, if a human is given an opportunity to choose whether another human lives or dies, and chooses death, it's viewed as wrong, n'est-ce pas? So it really isn't a choice now is it?

Posted

Mercy killing?

Posted

Mercy killing?

Interesting twist.

Difference being that a death row inmate usually wants to live.

Plus you could still find more than a handful of people on here that would find it wrong.

Posted

Doesn't matter how much you try to say otherwise, if some 38 year old dude kidnaps a 12 year old little girl and keeps her in a basement for days while he does things that I cant bring myself to type out until she dies. That fugstick deserves to die and I don't give a rats ass how much he was abused as a child or whether or not he is menatly capable of distinguishing right from wrong. Ill be more than happy to pull the switch on that monster.