Photo
- - - - -

Death Penalty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#16 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

I find those that are pro life and pro death penalty somewhat confusing.
They also tend to be anti-euthanasia as well.
A head scratcher for me.

Anyway, I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this issue.

I think for the most part the practice is barbaric, and as currently used not a deterrant.
So if we go ahead and ADMIT that this is good ol' fashioned frontier justice....fine.

I think many people unfamiliar with the criminal justice system ASSUME that the vast majority of guys on death row are innocent. Framed up. Didn't do it.

This simply isn't the case.
SOME, yes.....which makes me say the death penalty, if it fries ONE innocent person, is wrong.

NOW, the FACT is, quite a few cases are very much cut and dried. NOT like on tv. The facts of the case ARE NOT in dispute. The guilty are either caught red-handed, or have even admitted to the crime. With NO shoddy police work.
A case that my brother recently was peripherally involved in had a woman and her two accomplices found guilty of murdering a woman for her unborn baby.
Performed a crude c-section in which the baby survived.....so that she could have a baby of her own.
She and both of her accomplices admitted to the crime and showed absolutely NO remorse for the crime.

In cases where the crime is heinous, the facts are not in dispute, or the defendant admits to the crime, and/or the guilty are caught red-handed, I believe very swift, expedited trial and capital punishment is acceptable.

I simply say this because I can't figure out WHY a lengthy incarceration at taxpayer expense makes any sense. The person has forfeited their right to live by their actions.
Again, my opinion.
And as I stated, I do waffle a bit on this one.
If anything, I hate inconsistency, and when I put myself in the place of someone that has lost a loved one to violence, I know that in my heart I would not be satisfied knowing that the person was still eating meals, watching tv, and working out, maybe even enjoying a bit o' prison lovin' while my loved one is gone.

Honest opinion.

#17 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

should the burden be on the tax payers to keep these folks alive in prison (cost of food, shelter, clothing, medication)?

nope sorry death penalty cases, in the end, are always more expensive

#18 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

WE HAVE TO PROTECT THIS UNBORN CHILD AND VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WILL INSURE THERE IS NO WELFARE NET TO PROTECT HIM FROM A CIRCUMSTANCE WE FORCED HIM TO BE BORN INTO!

18 years later (15 in texas)

KILL THIS MOTHERfugER

#19 Go To Girl

Go To Girl

Huddle Mom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

A head scratcher for me.

I think for the most part the practice is barbaric, and as currently used not a deterrant.
So if we go ahead and ADMIT that this is good ol' fashioned frontier justice....fine.

I think many people unfamiliar with the criminal justice system ASSUME that the vast majority of guys on death row are innocent. Framed up. Didn't do it.

SOME, yes.....which makes me say the death penalty, if it fries ONE innocent person, is wrong.

NOW, the FACT is, quite a few cases are very much cut and dried. NOT like on tv. The facts of the case ARE NOT in dispute. The guilty are either caught red-handed, or have even admitted to the crime. With NO shoddy police work.
A case that my brother recently was peripherally involved in had a woman and her two accomplices found guilty of murdering a woman for her unborn baby.
Performed a crude c-section in which the baby survived.....so that she could have a baby of her own.
She and both of her accomplices admitted to the crime and showed absolutely NO remorse for the crime.

In cases where the crime is heinous, the facts are not in dispute, or the defendant admits to the crime, and/or the guilty are caught red-handed, I believe very swift, expedited trial and capital punishment is acceptable.

I simply say this because I can't figure out WHY a lengthy incarceration at taxpayer expense makes any sense. The person has forfeited their right to live by their actions.
Again, my opinion.
If anything, I hate inconsistency, and when I put myself in the place of someone that has lost a loved one to violence, I know that in my heart I would not be satisfied knowing that the person was still eating meals, watching tv, and working out, maybe even enjoying a bit o' prison lovin' while my loved one is gone.

Honest opinion.

What he said

#20 Towelboy

Towelboy

day late & a dollar short

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

how much does a plugged in toaster and a full bath tub cost? or would a bullet be cheaper?

#21 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

Got no real problem with it in theory. The way we practice it is maddening to an extreme. Arrested, arraigned, wait, jury selection, wait, trial, conviction, wait, sentencing, wait, appeal, wait, sentencing, wait, appeal, wait, sentencing, wait, petition for clemency, wait, petition for commutation, wait, petition for stay, wait, death by natural causes 16 years later brought on by the stress of living on death row.

That's inhumane.

#22 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

I'm Pro-Death Penalty not for any of the reasons that most Death Penalty supporters tend to be for it. I know it doesn't deter crime. I know in some cases it's more expensive to put these people on death row than it is to keep them in prison for life. I know it's barbaric. And I think it's pretty scary that some of the people that are put to death are innocent.

But I think spite is a wildly underrated emotion. Some of these people, like Epi pointed out, just flat deserve to die.

#23 Towelboy

Towelboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

the system is broken. it costs too much and takes too long. if we are to enforce the death penalty, do it quickly and save the tax payers money.

#24 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,202 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

privatize it! Brilliant, let's give the contract to GE. :)

They've already been doing it with law and order and ER for over a decade.

#25 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

A head scratcher for me.

Again, my opinion.

Honest opinion.

What he said.

#26 Towelboy

Towelboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

what would happen if all inmates were given solitary confinement, without tv or visitation rights and rope as part of their life in prison sentence? wouldn't that clean out the prisons pretty quick?

#27 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

What you just described sounds like Norman, Oklahoma.

#28 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Who are we to play God?

Unacceptable.

We "play God" all day everyday.
Save lives that would otherwise end.
Heck, with that answer we should all be taken to the Christian Science Reading Room after a massive car accident or if a baby gets polio.

#29 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,202 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

Unacceptable.

We "play God" all day everyday.
Save lives that would otherwise end.
Heck, with that answer we should all be taken to the Christian Science Reading Room after a massive car accident or if a baby gets polio.

You need to read up on your sophocles. :rolleyes:

You as a human have no right to decide whether another human lives or dies.

Kinda why murder is against the law, no? (and why malpractice is bad too :smilewinkgrin:)

The things you listed are either a) god playing god (or fate playing fate, bad luck, etc)
or B) humans playing humans.

Edited by Jase, 11 December 2008 - 02:46 PM.

#30 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

You Paid A Dollar For This?

• HUDDLER
  • 17,523 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, lets put Caylees Mom in a comfy cell the rest of her life, hell she might even got out early.
Or spend the millions incarcerating her giving ten needy kids college educations.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com