Photo
- - - - -

Death Penalty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#121 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:22 PM

Was it your joke telling ability?

Oooh, sick burn.

CH 7
SSM 0.

I'm from Oklahoma.

SSM 70
CH 7

#122 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

That's a Texas Tech score. Obviously your math skills are from Oklahoma, though.

#123 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

That's a Texas Tech score. Obviously your math skills are from Oklahoma, though.

Just remember I fully support the death penalty.

#124 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

I would say that life in prison without parole is a pretty serious reprecussion. You ever been in a maximum security prison?

quite obviously it isn't because there are murders constantly still occuring!!!

and no, I haven't been...and maybe it's rougher and tougher than I pretend to think I know it is, but I guarantdamntee you, it's way easier than burying a loved one!

#125 pir8fan05

pir8fan05

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

WE HAVE TO PROTECT THIS UNBORN CHILD AND VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WILL INSURE THERE IS NO WELFARE NET TO PROTECT HIM FROM A CIRCUMSTANCE WE FORCED HIM TO BE BORN INTO!

18 years later (15 in texas)

KILL THIS MOTHERf*ckER

The opposite sounds just as whacky.

Kill the baby....but save the murderer.

#126 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

I find it confusing that people can't understand the want to protect the unborn, and still want ultimate justice for the monsters that perpetrate the most heinous acts against humanity. I find the two quite separate...As a pro-lifer...I'm very much for putting monsters down once and for all...They forfeit their right to live when they rob someone of their right to live. And I believe it would be a deterent if we didn't drag it out for so long and give people a belief that even if they commit the most atrocious act, they will live long enough to have the sentence commuted.

#127 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:53 PM

The Ultimate Punishment? Never took you for an atheist.

#128 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

I find it confusing that people can't understand the want to protect the unborn, and still want ultimate justice for the monsters that perpetrate the most heinous acts against humanity. I find the two quite separate...As a pro-lifer...I'm very much for putting monsters down once and for all...They forfeit their right to live when they rob someone of their right to live. And I believe it would be a deterent if we didn't drag it out for so long and give people a belief that even if they commit the most atrocious act, they will live long enough to have the sentence commuted.

Sorry but pro life means you hold all life sacred.

#129 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

and no, I haven't been...and maybe it's rougher and tougher than I pretend to think I know it is, but I guarantdamntee you, it's way easier than burying a loved one!

People do not think about death vs. life in prison when they kill, if they think at all - all they think about is getting caught vs. not getting caught. Neither is a more effective deterrent than the other. Again, revenge is the only motivation here, and didn't Jesus say to turn the other cheek? If you are a Christian, you HAVE to be against the death penalty, as only God should control life or death.

I'm not a religious person, so I approach it from the angle that our judicial system is too screwed up to be entrusted with this kind of decision. Want to make prison tougher? Sure, why not. Streamline and eliminate a lot of the parole and early release programs? OK, as long as we are willing to pay for the extra prison cells, courts, etc. But state sanctioned murder is just simply wrong; most of the civilized world understands and accepts this idea, but we still have too much of a cowboy mentality to grasp this fully.

#130 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

Texas has more executions than any state, yet they still have murders occurring. And to take it a step further, if you kill someone in Saudi Arabia, they try you on Wednesday, and take you to the public square on Friday and chop off your head in public. And yet, they still have murders. Not as much as some other places, but thats primarily because its a police state with armed cops on about every corner.

#131 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

Sorry but pro life means you hold all life sacred.

OK, then...I don't hold the life of violent murderers sacred...They forfeited that right.

#132 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

People do not think about death vs. life in prison when they kill, if they think at all - all they think about is getting caught vs. not getting caught. Neither is a more effective deterrent than the other. Again, revenge is the only motivation here, and didn't Jesus say to turn the other cheek? If you are a Christian, you HAVE to be against the death penalty, as only God should control life or death.I'm not a religious person, so I approach it from the angle that our judicial system is too screwed up to be entrusted with this kind of decision. Want to make prison tougher? Sure, why not. Streamline and eliminate a lot of the parole and early release programs? OK, as long as we are willing to pay for the extra prison cells, courts, etc. But state sanctioned murder is just simply wrong; most of the civilized world understands and accepts this idea, but we still have too much of a cowboy mentality to grasp this fully.

You have not right to TELL a Christian what they should believe. You don't like to be told what to believe, so at least practice what you preach.

#133 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

You have not right to TELL a Christian what they should believe. You don't like to be told what to believe, so at least practice what you preach.

hmmmmmmm

#134 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

People do not think about death vs. life in prison when they kill, if they think at all - all they think about is getting caught vs. not getting caught. Neither is a more effective deterrent than the other. Again, revenge is the only motivation here, and didn't Jesus say to turn the other cheek? If you are a Christian, you HAVE to be against the death penalty, as only God should control life or death.

I'm not a religious person, so I approach it from the angle that our judicial system is too screwed up to be entrusted with this kind of decision. Want to make prison tougher? Sure, why not. Streamline and eliminate a lot of the parole and early release programs? OK, as long as we are willing to pay for the extra prison cells, courts, etc. But state sanctioned murder is just simply wrong; most of the civilized world understands and accepts this idea, but we still have too much of a cowboy mentality to grasp this fully.

part of the problem though...people don't fear the repercussions. I realize alot of people morder when they are in an altered state of mind due to drugs, alcohol, extreme anger etc etc etc, but somehow there needs to be more emphasis on the punishment. No different than drinking and driving...people are pretty much aware of the outcomes, but still do it. You have me on the religious argument for sure, I have no answer for that...but if someone were to murder my wife or one of my daughters, I'd be willing to throw the switch, inject the serum and take my chances with the Man!

#135 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

Maybe I'm not clear enough on that point - when people murder in an unpremeditated fashion, reprecussions never enter their mind. When premeditation is going on, the reprecussions are clear, but people either feel they will be too smart to get caught, or simply that the reward is worth the risk - life in prison vs. death is not really that much of a step up in risk at that point, if you are willing to consider murder in the first place.

And HTar, I may not have the "right" but there is no doubt that the Christian religion teaches pacifism and forgiveness (even moreso) as it's central tenets. If you have a problem with that, maybe it's time to examine your interpretation of Christianity. Just because I am not a Christian does not mean I have not studied it - and if fact, it may be easier to view objectively when not immersed in the minutae of it on a daily basis.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com