Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFL Mulling Over Idea Of Letting Players Race In The 40 At The Combine

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I don't really like it...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/24/league-thinks-about-shaking-up-the-combine/?module=HP11_headline_stack

The NFL is considering making some major changes to its annual scouting combine, including having prospects compete against one another in the 40-yard dash and the bench-press, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

Posted · Report post

I think the change that they should make to the combine is have the guys do drills in pads, especially the speed drills because running in pads is completely different than running in shirt and shorts

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

All about getting more eyes to the TV. Then getting mo money.

Posted · Report post

Why not, make it more competitive and it might make some run faster.

Posted · Report post

I think racing would be a disservice to the players... I mean you're already racing the clock, but to add the pressure of another guy there, might throw off timing etc. But I get it that the NFL wants more people watching...

Hey, here's an idea... get off your ass NFL and work out a deal with TWC to get NFLN on... then a LOT more people would watch... fugin' assholes the lot of 'em.

Posted · Report post

I think the change that they should make to the combine is have the guys do drills in pads, especially the speed drills because running in pads is completely different than running in shirt and shorts

This would be a huge improvement, but unfortunately it will never happen. :(

Posted · Report post

Agreed.

There is a difference between speed in track clothes and speed in a full set of pads

Posted · Report post

I like PackPanther's suggestion and agree with Biscuit as well.

I just don't see how having players race against each other would be beneficial to their performance.

And how do you pair them? Do you make it like a tournament? I just don't see how that wouldn't hurt the players mentally.

Look at last year for instance... What if Cam raced against Andy Dalton? How is that even fair, lol. It could put an unhealthy emphasis on the competition for numbers and have more of a negative impact on players than if they just went out and ran bad by themselves.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Why don't they just get ferocious dogs to chase them and see how fast they go?

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I like PackPanther's suggestion and agree with Biscuit as well.

I just don't see how having players race against each other would be beneficial to their performance.

And how do you pair them? Do you make it like a tournament? I just don't see how that wouldn't hurt the players mentally.

Look at last year for instance... What if Cam raced against Andy Dalton? How is that even fair, lol. It could put an unhealthy emphasis on the competition for numbers and have more of a negative impact on players than if they just went out and ran bad by themselves.

I am pretty sure the players would chose if they wanted to race, and if they chose to race they would race against someone who is willing to race them.

Posted · Report post

This is a terrible idea and you don't know what the combine is for.

Posted · Report post

Then they can dress half in rabbit suits and the rest in wolf suits and let the fun begin! :D