Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

natty

The religious right is America's Taliban

76 posts in this topic

Its not like the Bush Administration tried to have the nude statues around DC covered up...

oh wait

I never noticed a huge movement on the left against Afghanistan. No more than I've seen from the right, so that's pretty strawman-ish.

Yeah I didn't hear a peep out of anyone about going into Afghanistan. Even if there was an uproar about it, we should 'teach' these people to treat women better or have better morals by dropping bombs on them?

Extremist Muslims represent Islam as much as McVeigh represents Christianity.

Yeah I didn't hear a peep out of anyone about going into Afghanistan. Even if there was an uproar about it, we should 'teach' these people to treat women better or have better morals by dropping bombs on them?

Extremist Muslims represent Islam as much as McVeigh represents Christianity.

In strict Islamic countries, women who expose their faces get acid thrown on them. There are violent crimes upon women here, too, but the govt doesn't approve of them.

They do treat their elders better than we do. I'll give them that.

Its not like the Bush Administration tried to have the nude statues around DC covered up...

oh wait

That's just penis envy. Have you seen the package Michelangelo put on the statue of David?

Big difference - those countries are not our countries. We can refuse to trade with them, encourage sanctions, whatever....but we should not be in the business of trying to make other places act like us. Certainly saying that we invade countries to "bring them freedom" is a hack argument - it's always a justification to whatever else we are interested in.

If we present a good case for emulation, some nations might come around (and many have).

Big difference - those countries are not our countries. We can refuse to trade with them, encourage sanctions, whatever....but we should not be in the business of trying to make other places act like us. Certainly saying that we invade countries to "bring them freedom" is a hack argument - it's always a justification to whatever else we are interested in.

If we present a good case for emulation, some nations might come around (and many have).

The power of our example, rather than the example of our power?

aye, always liked that quote.

aye, always liked that quote.

Me, too. And I had that philosophy until 9/11/2001. Then I figured it was time we went in and brought the cockroaches out into the light.

And that's pretty nerve racking to me.....that they're gaining support from people less extreme. They're supporting the religious right because they can relate to them than more libertarian-type conservatives.

Associating with people you can relate with is one of the most basic of human natures there is. I'm not going to go down and spend an evening hanging outside the movie theater with 16 year olds because I don't relate to them nor have any desire to. Minorities usually try to vote in people who can relate to their beliefs (civil rights affirmative action, etc.). So if a politician believes that some religious influences need to be pushed strongly, I can relate to that. Knowing what I believe on certain issues will many times trump what a federal judge says. In the end, court rulings are there to define and interpret the law, not force me into a certain way of thinking.

Most of todays controversial issues have been beaten back and forth, to and fro, between politicians, judges, ACLU members and lobbyists..almost most of whom are lawyers. The thought of having my beliefs re-defined and shaped by the words of attorneys rather disgusts me to no end. (no offense to attorneys :o).

has the taliban had a chick try to win a beauty pagent and lose over a question because of her beliefs yet?

neither have we. North Carolina won the swimsuit and evening gown competitons, as well. California had no chance no matter how she answered that question.

but bigots love to pretend they're victims, so i'm sure we'll continue hearing all about how her beliefs cost her "her crown."

and back on topic:

do i think the religious right are the american taliban? no.

do i think they would fuging love to be? of course.

but they will never gain that kind of power.