• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

The Religious Right has become a pretty diverse group, believe it or not. It's not Jerry Falwell and his minions any more.

#17 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

has the taliban had a chick try to win a beauty pagent and lose over a question because of her beliefs yet?

i would be more concerned about the groups you DON'T hear about than the ones you already know of.

#18 natty

natty

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

The Religious Right has become a pretty diverse group, believe it or not. It's not Jerry Falwell and his minions any more.

And that's pretty nerve racking to me.....that they're gaining support from people less extreme. They're supporting the religious right because they can relate to them than more libertarian-type conservatives. I'm sure not everyone that supported the Taliban in Afghanistan were as extremist as they were.

Keep in mind when I say religious right I mean people that are against abortion because it's religiously wrong(not morally wrong), that are against gay marriage because it's religiously wrong, that are for creationism because that's what the bible says, etc. I'm talking about people that want this country to be run on the word of god, not the laws of man.

Edited by natty, 21 April 2009 - 12:34 PM.

#19 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 47,184 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

But isn't the cornerstone of all our laws based on the 10 commandments?

#20 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,096 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

In America, things are not so desperate that violent protests and actions are felt necessary. We have had our Puritan excesses, but the nature of our country is such that a theocracy would be fought against rather forcefully, even by lots of people that might agree with many of their stands on issues.

If you put all of us under the same conditions that the Afgans have been living under for so long, of course there would be religious crackdowns and coups, as in the absence of a central government, religious leaders would be just as keen as anyone else to sieze power, even if it meant doing some things they would normally find distateful.

If a guy like Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell was given the reins to the nation and the means to enforce their will unchecked, imagine what would happen to the kinds of people they felt were taken over by Satan - in the name of God, of course.

Now imagine if they were raised to be total Holy Rollers in a land where infidels (or no one) controlled the country, family and friends died on a daily basis, no hope existed, and the feeling that they were meant to lead their people out of bondage was taught to them from the cradle. It would be easy for any of these types of personalities to begin whatever violent actions were needed to get control of the situation, and quote fire and brimstone to get it done.

#21 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,096 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:43 PM

But isn't the cornerstone of all our laws based on the 10 commandments?

I dunno, whats the jail term for taking the lords name in vain or not honoring your parents?

#22 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

I think if we gave them the authority, they would certainly love to be.

#23 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

Some of the stuff the Taliban does is beyond belief. Right after 9/11 I read in a Newsweek article about a gathering they had where they wrote the word Bush on a dog, then doused it with gasoline and set it on fire.

This is one thing that I always found paradoxical about the left's objection to war with these people....all the things you criticize the religious right for, in fact all the things you criticize the right for, period....mistreatment of women and those less fortunate, etc....here the right is going to war against people who take these things to the extreme and you're taking up for the other side.

I know there's a lot more to it than that, but I would think it would at least give you pause to think that you had more in common with the right than you do with the enemy.

#24 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,548 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

I never noticed a huge movement on the left against Afghanistan. No more than I've seen from the right, so that's pretty strawman-ish.

#25 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Its not like the Bush Administration tried to have the nude statues around DC covered up...

oh wait

#26 natty

natty

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

I never noticed a huge movement on the left against Afghanistan. No more than I've seen from the right, so that's pretty strawman-ish.

Yeah I didn't hear a peep out of anyone about going into Afghanistan. Even if there was an uproar about it, we should 'teach' these people to treat women better or have better morals by dropping bombs on them?

Extremist Muslims represent Islam as much as McVeigh represents Christianity.

#27 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Yeah I didn't hear a peep out of anyone about going into Afghanistan. Even if there was an uproar about it, we should 'teach' these people to treat women better or have better morals by dropping bombs on them?

Extremist Muslims represent Islam as much as McVeigh represents Christianity.

In strict Islamic countries, women who expose their faces get acid thrown on them. There are violent crimes upon women here, too, but the govt doesn't approve of them.

They do treat their elders better than we do. I'll give them that.

#28 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,931 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

Its not like the Bush Administration tried to have the nude statues around DC covered up...

oh wait

That's just penis envy. Have you seen the package Michelangelo put on the statue of David?

#29 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,096 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Big difference - those countries are not our countries. We can refuse to trade with them, encourage sanctions, whatever....but we should not be in the business of trying to make other places act like us. Certainly saying that we invade countries to "bring them freedom" is a hack argument - it's always a justification to whatever else we are interested in.

If we present a good case for emulation, some nations might come around (and many have).

#30 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Big difference - those countries are not our countries. We can refuse to trade with them, encourage sanctions, whatever....but we should not be in the business of trying to make other places act like us. Certainly saying that we invade countries to "bring them freedom" is a hack argument - it's always a justification to whatever else we are interested in.

If we present a good case for emulation, some nations might come around (and many have).

The power of our example, rather than the example of our power?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com