aye, always liked that quote.

#32 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

aye, always liked that quote.

Me, too. And I had that philosophy until 9/11/2001. Then I figured it was time we went in and brought the cockroaches out into the light.

#33 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

And that's pretty nerve racking to me.....that they're gaining support from people less extreme. They're supporting the religious right because they can relate to them than more libertarian-type conservatives.

Associating with people you can relate with is one of the most basic of human natures there is. I'm not going to go down and spend an evening hanging outside the movie theater with 16 year olds because I don't relate to them nor have any desire to. Minorities usually try to vote in people who can relate to their beliefs (civil rights affirmative action, etc.). So if a politician believes that some religious influences need to be pushed strongly, I can relate to that. Knowing what I believe on certain issues will many times trump what a federal judge says. In the end, court rulings are there to define and interpret the law, not force me into a certain way of thinking.

Most of todays controversial issues have been beaten back and forth, to and fro, between politicians, judges, ACLU members and lobbyists..almost most of whom are lawyers. The thought of having my beliefs re-defined and shaped by the words of attorneys rather disgusts me to no end. (no offense to attorneys :o).

#34 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Yeah, Booooyyyyyy....

• HUDDLER
  • 6,788 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

And we cannot forget these folks. A terrorist by any other name.....

http://www.cnn.com/2...=rss_topstories

#35 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

has the taliban had a chick try to win a beauty pagent and lose over a question because of her beliefs yet?

neither have we. North Carolina won the swimsuit and evening gown competitons, as well. California had no chance no matter how she answered that question.

but bigots love to pretend they're victims, so i'm sure we'll continue hearing all about how her beliefs cost her "her crown."

#36 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

and back on topic:

do i think the religious right are the american taliban? no.

do i think they would fuging love to be? of course.

but they will never gain that kind of power.

#37 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,300 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

neither have we. North Carolina won the swimsuit and evening gown competitons, as well. California had no chance no matter how she answered that question.

but bigots love to pretend they're victims, so i'm sure we'll continue hearing all about how her beliefs cost her "her crown."

the "old" rodeo(pre huddle crash) would have gotten what i said.
i was making the comparison that the right is NOT like the taliban because the right(she has to be on the far right because of her answer) has a girl in a beauty pagent. something the taliban does NOT.
so with her having good looks and feeling good enough to answer as she wants disqualifies her from the TALIBAN. Thus..the tailban is NOT like the far right. :shocked:

#38 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

the "old" rodeo(pre huddle crash) would have gotten what i said.
i was making the comparison that the right is NOT like the taliban because the right(she has to be on the far right because of her answer) has a girl in a beauty pagent. something the taliban does NOT.
so with her having good looks and feeling good enough to answer as she wants disqualifies her from the TALIBAN. Thus..the tailban is NOT like the far right. :shocked:

And to continue your analogy, the Taliban is more like gay people. (in Sam Kinison voice) I like how you think. I'm gonna keep an eye on you.

#39 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

Homosexual and sheeposexual are two different things. Unless you are G5, in which case they both are the forbidden fruit that tempt him so and drive him to the upper limits of denial.

#40 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

The Religious Right has become a pretty diverse group, believe it or not. It's not Jerry Falwell and his minions any more.

I was at Jerry Falwell's place today by chance. Strange place...

#41 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

I was at Jerry Falwell's place today by chance. Strange place...

I was never a big fan of Jerry's. Seemed like the classic Southern jackass to me. Sorry if I offend.

#42 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

To Rodeo, since he obviously doesn't know anybody in the religious right, nor do I for that matter...Can you tell me where to sign up for it? But anyway, I've never heard such at any church service I've attended, then want or plot to kill the infidels.

Edited by Htar, 21 April 2009 - 09:37 PM.

#43 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,856 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

the christian religious right as a whole has wiped out more people and civilizations than extremist muslim groups could ever hope to accomplish.

if you want specific american examples, jerry falwell supported the contras in Nicaragua, and christianity was one of the major driving factors of the eradication of the native american.

#44 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,300 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

lots of deaths NOT in the name of god also.
Because some nutjob gets to kill and pass it off as god told him so or it was the right thing to do doesn't mean it was really from god or the right thing.
Sean Gilbert anyone?

#45 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:01 PM

I think one could argue there are more similarities than differences.

How does that sit with you?

Its about as silly as me saying that America's left are Stalinist or that atheist are Khmer Rouge.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 21 April 2009 - 09:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.