Photo
- - - - -

Obama admin having to admit waterboarding worked?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,399 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...ir.html?_r=2

Read it for yourselves...and this is key to why Cheney is saying release ALL the information.

#2 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,632 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

If I had a suspect in detention, and I found out later on that he had information that would have prevented a deadly attack, I would feel guilty if I hadn't used every method at my disposal to obtain the information.

#3 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

No question those methods worked...And they must not be too unbearable if you can take it 288 times. Obama will continue to undermine our security by buddying up to bad guys throughout the world.

#4 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

I love America. I hate Obama.

#5 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,973 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

No question those methods worked...And they must not be too unbearable if you can take it 288 times. Obama will continue to undermine our security by buddying up to bad guys throughout the world.

[ame][/ame]

you sick fug

#6 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,672 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:41 AM

waterboarding works when the person is convinced you will kill them with it.

to convince someone of that, you have to kill someone with it.

#7 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:34 AM

Guy on O'Reilly last night said that torture only works when you have someone that you KNOW has information you need. Names. Places. Times. Otherwise the person can just tell you anything. But apparently waterboarding prevented another 9/11 (in Los Angeles, per Karl Rove).

#8 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,094 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

Or he was watching 24.

#9 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Yeah, torture is absolutely fine for us to do as long as it works.

Good lord look what we have become.

#10 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

(in Los Angeles, per Karl Rove).

Well then, that settles it.

lol

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,632 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

Yeah, torture is absolutely fine for us to do as long as it works.

Good lord look what we have become.

Torture one Al Qaeda member to save a thousand. I would say that is merely common sense. In a few rare cases, the ends justify the means. And yes, I am a moral relativist.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 22 April 2009 - 06:08 AM.

#12 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,961 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:09 AM

Torture one Al Qaeda member to save a thousand. I would say that is merely common sense. In a few rare cases, the ends justify the means.

On the surface I would tend to agree with you on this, but the problem is that once the pandora's box on torture is open, you can't close it. It has opened our troops up to MORE torture in the hands of our enemies and we can no longer take the high moral ground in regards to this issue.

I know, the argument is that our troops and citizens are already tortured, beheaded, etc. by groups like Al Qaeda, but why should we stoop to their level? It does suck that we can't repay them in kind, but vengeance is not a good reason for torture either.

#13 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

Torture one Al Qaeda member to save a thousand. I would say that is merely common sense. In a few rare cases, the ends justify the means. And yes, I am a moral relativist.

What about to save hundreds?

What about to save dozens?

What about to save one?

Yes?

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,632 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

What about to save hundreds?

What about to save dozens?

What about to save one?

Yes?

Maybe, depends on who the one was. Another Al Qaeda member, no. A child, maybe. It would be a judgement call. And regardless, there were three (that we know of) Al Qaeda members that were tortured. All three were high level members, so its not like we were torturing a gofer who knew nothing.

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,632 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

On the surface I would tend to agree with you on this, but the problem is that once the pandora's box on torture is open, you can't close it. It has opened our troops up to MORE torture in the hands of our enemies and we can no longer take the high moral ground in regards to this issue.

I know, the argument is that our troops and citizens are already tortured, beheaded, etc. by groups like Al Qaeda, but why should we stoop to their level? It does suck that we can't repay them in kind, but vengeance is not a good reason for torture either.

IMO, the argument that they do it is irrelevant. The sole purpose is to gain information, nothing else matters. If nothing can be obtained, then there is no reason to torture. And the cases in which its done should be very, extremely rare. It hasn't opened our troops to more torture, because they were doing this type of thing well before our own info got out.

Like most critical decisions, its a judgement call. You have to trust the judgement of the people in charge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com