Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

g5jamz

Obama admin having to admit waterboarding worked?

101 posts in this topic

Given the people involved, I doubt it would have been necessary.

But personally, I don't think so. It was information, thats it. We did a crap job of security, it got out. Of course we ended up not blowing each other up, so it's easy to say this.

The russians would have had it in a few years anyways, their math people were crazy good.

Giving the russians the H Bomb was pretty devastating. It had the potential to be like 9/11 times a bazillion.

Fiz is putting up a decent argument that NO waterboarding didn't prevent anything...and I believe that the phone tapping was done legally for this particular discovery, as it involved a foreign caller...

we got hit prior to any torture or waterboarding as well.

i just hope they produce the memos with the good and the bad in power point so i can easily follow this

we got hit prior to any torture or waterboarding as well.

this is simply not true.

The US Central Intelligence Agency's (CIA) controversial "rendition" program was launched under US president Bill Clinton, a former US counter-terrorism agent has told a German newspaper.

Michael Scheuer, a 22-year veteran of the CIA who resigned from the agency in 2004, has told Die Zeit that the US administration had been looking in the mid-1990s for a way to combat the terrorist threat and circumvent the cumbersome US legal system.

"President Clinton, his national security adviser Sandy Berger and his terrorism adviser Richard Clark ordered the CIA in the autumn of 1995 to destroy Al Qaeda," Mr Scheuer said.

"We asked the president what we should do with the people we capture. Clinton said 'That's up to you'."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1539284.htm

this is simply not true.

The US Central Intelligence Agency's (CIA) controversial "rendition" program was launched under US president Bill Clinton, a former US counter-terrorism agent has told a German newspaper.

Michael Scheuer, a 22-year veteran of the CIA who resigned from the agency in 2004, has told Die Zeit that the US administration had been looking in the mid-1990s for a way to combat the terrorist threat and circumvent the cumbersome US legal system.

"President Clinton, his national security adviser Sandy Berger and his terrorism adviser Richard Clark ordered the CIA in the autumn of 1995 to destroy Al Qaeda," Mr Scheuer said.

"We asked the president what we should do with the people we capture. Clinton said 'That's up to you'."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1539284.htm

Why thank you. You have solidified an argument on these threads I have been trying to get across for a long time.

WMD was NOT Bush's brainchild.

It was Clinton's. I have been trying to paint the picture of these two being more together on this mess than people want to admit.

Now whether or not this very program was cause enough for the terrorists to fully carry out their master plan I don't know.

But I'm soooooooo glad you made this post.

Why thank you. You have solidified an argument on these threads I have been trying to get across for a long time.

WMD was NOT Bush's brainchild.

It was Clinton's. I have been trying to paint the picture of these two being more together on this mess than people want to admit.

Now whether or not this very program was cause enough for the terrorists to fully carry out their master plan I don't know.

But I'm soooooooo glad you made this post.

happy to help you out. :D

happy to help you out. :D

Not only were you great in Aliens and Terminator, but you stole the show in The Abyss, in my opinion.

Clinton used WMDs (or more to the point, the threat of them) as a way to get continued international support, especially from the Arab community, behind continued embargoes and sanctions against Iraq. A perfectly reasonable diplomatic manuver.

Bush used WMDs as an excuse to start a war that has cost us thousands of American lives and billions of dollars. A dumbass move that needed fake "proof" generated.

A bit of a difference there.

Clinton used WMDs (or more to the point, the threat of them) as a way to get continued international support, especially from the Arab community, behind continued embargoes and sanctions against Iraq. A perfectly reasonable diplomatic manuver.

Bush used WMDs as an excuse to start a war that has cost us thousands of American lives and billions of dollars. A dumbass move that needed fake "proof" generated.

So torture is never acceptable, but lying is. Got it.

Not only were you great in Aliens and Terminator, but you stole the show in The Abyss, in my opinion.

don't forget about The Rock.

A speech we all remember.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/16/transcripts/clinton.html

Third, in halting our air strikes in November, I gave Saddam a chance, not a license. If we turn our backs on his defiance, the credibility of U.S. power as a check against Saddam will be destroyed. We will not only have allowed Saddam to shatter the inspection system that controls his weapons of mass destruction program; we also will have fatally undercut the fear of force that stops Saddam from acting to gain domination in the region.

Isn't this W Iraq Mantra 101?