#1 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

http://network.yardb...lege_basketball

And then there’s Duke, somehow steamrolling to another one seed March 11.

In 2010, Purdue was locked in as the final top seed until Robby Hummel tore his ACL Feb. 24 in Minneapolis; Duke quietly took the final number one seed for March Madness, somehow was clandestinely given a cakewalk draw, and hung on to take the national title when Gordon Hayward’s desperation shot hit the rim April 5 at Lucas Oil Stadium. I was at the game, and support Butler, but Duke played even up with a “mid-major” for their first title in a decade. (The Blue Devils beat a banged-up West Virginia team, playing without its two best players, in the national semifinals 48 hours prior.)

In 2011, Duke was ranked #1 deep into January, then lost to unranked Florida State, St. John’s, and two of their final three games (non-tourney Virginia Tech and UNC). Like this year, the ACC was a weak conference; Duke lacked quality road wins; had questionable losses, yet somehow “propelled” themselves to a questionable one seed after winning three games in the meaningless ACC tourney. The Blue Devils were quickly demolished by a one-man Arizona team in the Sweet 16 a fortnight later. They were not worthy a one seed.

When Austin Rivers hit the game winning shot in Chapel Hill Feb. 8th, Duke was at its low point of the season. Coming off home losses to sloppy Florida State and enigmatic Miami, the Blue Devils were getting ripped by rival North Carolina before the freshman’s three pointer capped a furious late comeback. If the shot missed, Duke would’ve fallen out of the Top 10 and was staring a 3 seed (at best) in the NCAA Tournament.
Instead, as soon as Rivers’ shot ripped through the net, I could see the jump in the polls (voters ignored the struggles and bumped Duke to a #5 ranking) and the momentum rising on the horizon, blessed by soft scheduling. Even with a weak ACC, Duke struggled mightily to survive at home against non-tourney N.C. State and awful Virginia Tech, just as they had earlier this season at bottom-dwelling Georgia Tech. Number one seeds in March Madness don’t need 40-45 minutes to hold off inferior teams.

wow, journalistic integrity..clearly not from DSPN

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,112 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

lol

#3 Boner Champ

Boner Champ

Future Training Camp MVP

• HUDDLER
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

fug dook

#4 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

It's not Duke's fault that Ohio State keeps losing or that UNC couldn't close a game. There is more parity in basketball and the top teams are closer to the rest of the bunch. If other teams would take care of business, there would be no opening. If Tyler Zellar could get a hand up, perhaps the rankings would be different.

If UNC can beat Duke and win the ACC Tourney, they have a good shot at a number one seed.

The associated press, coaches poll, and CBS rankings all agree Duke is currently a number one seed. That's mostly been the case past years as well. Duke has been consistent the past few years and have won a lot of games. Not sure what you're gripe is.

Also, if another team has injured players in the tournament, that is outside of Duke's control. The top 25 is filled with teams having 4 or more losses. UNC lost to FSU as well. This article is nothing but drivel.

Duke's RPI is 4th and their SOS is third. They've also beaten MSU and UNC who trail them in the rankings.

Edited by sylvianlight, 28 February 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#5 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

I don't think the writer is denying any of your comments light. It's more of a piece that summarizes the good fortune K's team has experienced over the past three years when they clearly had inferior talent and how unusual that is. That is the way I took it.

Yes the banners hang and the rankings stand as they are.

The one thing that came up for me is how I continually hear the pundits describe the Duke in their close games.

For instance in the Carolina game, Carolina "choked", "lacked heart", and "lacked the intensity needed to finish". They had the game in hand, were clearly the better team and after getting a few bad calls seemed to give up. During that same game Duke was "scrappy" and "had a will to win" and a "passion for success"

This alone tells us who the better team is in the eyes of the pundits who all spoke similarly to the comments above. Nobody was able to come out and say that Duke won that game because they were clearly the better team. We did not hear anything like that. We did not even hear that at the end of the VPI and State games. We heard the exact opposite of that when K took the boy's to Schottenstein Center and they got pummeled. At that point (Dennis Green) they are who they thought they were. Rebuilding.

It seems like wins over the last 3 seasons come on the back of the other team failing more than Duke prevailing and that is OK as you stated. It's not your fault. I just wonder how many Dukies actually acknowledge that fact as opposed to those that will praise Coach K as the messiah and credit will, guts, or winning heritage (whatever) for these successes.

Just a thought. The article rings true throughout. It's something I had not previously considered cumulatively as the author did.

#6 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

In 2010 going into the tourney we were 29-5, won the ACC regular season, won the ACC tourney, and #3 in the RPI. That sounds like a #1 seed to me.

In 2011 going into the tourney we were 30-4, shared the ACC regular season, won the ACC tourney, and #4 in the RPI. That sounds like a #1 seed to me.

So far this year we are 25-4 with the #2 RPI, and #3 SOS. We have quality wins over #3 Kansas, #5 MSU, #6 unc, #24 UVA and #13 Michigan. Our 4 losses are to #10 OSU, #22 FSU, #23 Temple and an unranked Miami team. That's a pretty good resume so far don't you think?

I would like to know what teams in 2010, 2011, and so far this year deserved/deserves the #1 seeds? Without that the article is just some bitter fan with an agenda. Yardbarker is just a blogging/social networking site where fans get on and b!tch, no actual facts just the opinions of one person.

#7 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

I don't think the writer is denying any of your comments light. It's more of a piece that summarizes the good fortune K's team has experienced over the past three years when they clearly had inferior talent and how unusual that is. That is the way I took it.

Yes the banners hang and the rankings stand as they are.

The one thing that came up for me is how I continually hear the pundits describe the Duke in their close games.

For instance in the Carolina game, Carolina "choked", "lacked heart", and "lacked the intensity needed to finish". They had the game in hand, were clearly the better team and after getting a few bad calls seemed to give up. During that same game Duke was "scrappy" and "had a will to win" and a "passion for success"

This alone tells us who the better team is in the eyes of the pundits who all spoke similarly to the comments above. Nobody was able to come out and say that Duke won that game because they were clearly the better team. We did not hear anything like that. We did not even hear that at the end of the VPI and State games. We heard the exact opposite of that when K took the boy's to Schottenstein Center and they got pummeled. At that point (Dennis Green) they are who they thought they were. Rebuilding.

It seems like wins over the last 3 seasons come on the back of the other team failing more than Duke prevailing and that is OK as you stated. It's not your fault. I just wonder how many Dukies actually acknowledge that fact as opposed to those that will praise Coach K as the messiah and credit will, guts, or winning heritage (whatever) for these successes.

Just a thought. The article rings true throughout. It's something I had not previously considered cumulatively as the author did.

Wow a unc fan blaming the refs, come on son.

#8 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Duke!

#9 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

There good fortunate includes BEATING unc, mich st, and kansas all in the top 8 yet Lunardi has Kansas and MSU as the remaining 1's last week. Tell me who msu beat outside the Big 10? Florida st is the only decent team they beat. Duke Unc series winner (if it goes 3 games) should get a one seed because they played and beat good teams. If Duke gets a one seed they will not have backed their way into and neither will UNC. it will be earned. It is impossible for Carolinarolls to give Duke any credit. Other heels fans should be embarassed. If he was a blue devils fan id be ashamed

#10 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

I guess that article hurt more feeling than I thought.

All of a sudden its all about me, as if I wrote the article

Nothing in that article can be disputed. Period.

So is it even necessary for me to wish the dookies "good luck"

Apparently not

LOL

#11 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Nothing to do with the article. More about the attacks and refusing to give Duke credit. I appreciate it though. Cant wait till Saturday!!!!!! 2-0 against the most talented team equal a number one seed or is that backing in?

#12 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,650 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I guess that article hurt more feeling than I thought.

All of a sudden its all about me, as if I wrote the article

Nothing in that article can be disputed. Period.

So is it even necessary for me to wish the dookies "good luck"

Apparently not

LOL

I just disputed all of it with facts, did you not read what I wrote? I feel bad for you!

#13 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Wow a unc fan blaming the refs, come on son.

I was about to do the same thing. Surprise!! Another Carolina fan blaming refs. I find it hilarious how Carolina fans say Duke is an elitist university, yet Carolina fans always think that their team is way too far ahead of every other team they play to lose by their own merits. It always has to be someone elses(the refs) fault, it can never be perfect Carolina, they never make mistakes. I don't know where Carolina fans got this notion that there team is always better than everyone else, I believe that is the definition of elitist however.

Side Note: If you actually watched the Duke vs Arizona game, yes Duke got outplayed, but our defense wasn't as sloppy as the stats would indicate. We had hands in faces on many shots, they were just knocking them down. Arizona would have beat any team in the country if they play like that. Can't really blame Duke for their entire team shooting lights out all game. We didn't hit the similar shots with good defense, they did, that was the difference of the game.

#14 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Nothing to do with the article. More about the attacks and refusing to give Duke credit. I appreciate it though. Cant wait till Saturday!!!!!! 2-0 against the most talented team equal a number one seed or is that backing in?

That is backing in, and that would deserve plenty of credit regardless of anyone's opinion IF it happens.

I can't wait either.

#15 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,355 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I am not blaming refs to clear it up. There are horrible calls in every game going both ways. There were some that aided in that comeback that were pretty terrible though (tough luck is all it is) and they were mentioned ad nauseum throughout he media reviews.
Facts are Facts.

Please don't jump to conclusions all the way to "another holoe fan blaming the..."

the comeback was short and furious as well as aided by some, how should I say, inoportune whiffs by the zebras. Then, the miracle shot for a one point victory.

There are no sour grapes here about the loss. We deserved to lose a game we dominated and gave away. It just happens that that game and the circumstances surrounding the loss seemed to fit right in to the rest of the article. Maybe that is why the author mentioned it as well.

As I said already, nobody came away from that game and could honestly state that the better team won without crossing their fingers behind their back. And the collective contests since then have done nothing to change that assessment.

This one should go a long way to prove that if in fact it is true. We will see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com