Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

carolina-chuck

Brockers vs Poe

142 posts in this topic

Cam won "TWO national chapionship"? are you out of your mind?

being at Florida while The Golden Calf of Bristol won it for them doesnt mean Cam won two.

Do your research.

every teams draft on potential. why would we draft Smith also if it wasnt on his potential. hes 5'8" coming out the draft his rookie year. you kidding me

its just like someones going to give a huge ransom to st. Louis to take RGIII bc of his potetial to be a dual threat qb.

Cam won one at Blinn and one at Auburn...

And the Steve Smith situation was a little different. He wasn't drafted in the first round, he definitely wasn't draft 9th overall, and he was drafted as a special teams player, where he showed that he could excel while he was at Utah.

1 person likes this

and Brockers thus far has shown to be the better DT. If you are taking someone to play DT, why not the guy who has proven to do it better...and is raw w/ ability to get better.

Debatable. I haven't seen enough of either individually to comment. But Brockers was definitely surrounded by far better talent than Poe.

Both guys have question marks and both guys have intriguing potential. I lean toward Poe, but laugh at the fanboy camps of both. If we take either, I'll be happy and hope for the best. Guys like Cox, Still, and Worthy have to be pissed about the attention these two are getting. All three have a ton more production at the college level while playing against good competition.

and Brockers thus far has shown to be the better DT. If you are taking someone to play DT, why not the guy who has proven to do it better...and is raw w/ ability to get better.

skills and technique can be improve but is not like going to the gym everyday. if you have the skills , youll have the skills. no body can teach lafell to hop 6 feet off the ground like Smitty. its call gifted skills set. and you judging Poe solely on combine performance. im judging brockers on his tape when comparing him to poe.

Because college performance doesn't always translate into the same success in the pros. There are other factors that are as important or more so than stats in college.

With that said, I think Brockers will be fine for us and as he matures should be a good player. I also think if Poe is close to Kris Jenkins then he will be good for us as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. And before you ask, factors include scheme, coaching, competition, age and maturity, opportunity, and so forth.

I also would like to throw Jerel Worthy into this discussion, if we're talking about taking someone who actually produced in college. Worthy destroyed Wisconsin's offensive line, which was widely considered to be one of the top five in college football last season, and had a very productive year.

Cam won one at Blinn and one at Auburn...

And the Steve Smith situation was a little different. He wasn't drafted in the first round, he definitely wasn't draft 9th overall, and he was drafted as a special teams player, where he showed that he could excel while he was at Utah.

winning at Blinn is like beating us carolina huddle members in a flag football game. are you kidding me. its something to look with but to say that hurney drafted Cam bc of a division II or III national championship is ridiculous

and yeah smith showing he could excel is like "showing he had potential"

I know the press isn't a deciding factor, but it bothers me that Brockers could only throw up 19. 18 DB's today put up more reps than Brockers did, at roughly 2/3 of his weight. Jstew put up 28. It's a lot about technique for a DT, but there are times where having that extra strength to hold an 2nd blocker for a second or two longer could really make a difference. They were talking on NFLN, and I agree, that your press number shows more about your work ethic than anything else. I dunno, just quite a few red flags for me on a guy I wasn't really high on to begin with.

winning at Blinn is like beating us carolina huddle members in a flag football game. are you kidding me. its something to look with but to say that hurney drafted Cam bc of a division II or III national championship is ridiculous

What?

Blinn had the same talent as the teams they played, the only true difference in the teams was Cam. So, no, it's not like playing us in a flag football game. These guys actually go out, train, better themselves, are coached, and play as hard as possible.

I seriously doubt you would ever be able to make Blinn's team, much less any other DII team.

I also would like to throw Jerel Worthy into this discussion, if we're talking about taking someone who actually produced in college. Worthy destroyed Wisconsin's offensive line, which was widely considered to be one of the top five in college football last season, and had a very productive year.

yes i love worthy. but in my opinion hes not "worthy" enough to be pick at 9th. drafting a guy that high is on his skill set, performance through career, potential at the next level and his size

I honestly don't know why there is so much hate for Poe.

So many on here act as if we're stating we'd only want Poe.

Both Brockers and Poe have high potential.

Dispite that many think our last year DT's were wasted picks, they weren't.

The Panthers won't draft another dt simply to throw another body at the position. Adding a blue chip player though, that i can see them doing.

Of the two, ya gotta love Poe's size, burst, strength, and ability.

He also fits the dt we need the most. He can play in both the 34 and the 43...which rivera wants to play both.

Both will take time to develop.

1 person likes this

What?

Blinn had the same talent as the teams they played, the only true difference in the teams was Cam. So, no, it's not like playing us in a flag football game. These guys actually go out, train, better themselves, are coached, and play as hard as possible.

I seriously doubt you would ever be able to make Blinn's team, much less any other DII team.

im not saying i can make it did i? but if you watch and know. theres a major , "major" difference between the DI , DII, and DII skill set. trust me. jumping from jv to varsity in high school only , you could tell the huge difference. cam went to Blinn bc of his personal reason at Florida and Blinn was the only school that would take him. other than that he wouldve never even touch blinn.

and i know how good the next level is. my bro n law moved down from minnesota once played a high school game against Larry Fitzgerald. he was offer to go play at the high school army bowl game. got a DII scholarship as a walk on. and said it was intense, but nothing compare to a DI. im not a kid

I suspect Brockers ceiling is much higher, but he's also a bigger risk/reward guy then Poe. I think Poe will play in the NFL for many years and be a solid player, but Brockers has the potential to be an all-pro.

Personally, I would take Brockers simply because I believe he has a much higher ceiling. There's a reason why none of us have heard of Poe until now...