#46 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,044 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

I honestly don't know why there is so much hate for Poe.

So many on here act as if we're stating we'd only want Poe.

Both Brockers and Poe have high potential.

Dispite that many think our last year DT's were wasted picks, they weren't.

The Panthers won't draft another dt simply to throw another body at the position. Adding a blue chip player though, that i can see them doing.

Of the two, ya gotta love Poe's size, burst, strength, and ability.
He also fits the dt we need the most. He can play in both the 34 and the 43...which rivera wants to play both.
Both will take time to develop.

#47 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

What?

Blinn had the same talent as the teams they played, the only true difference in the teams was Cam. So, no, it's not like playing us in a flag football game. These guys actually go out, train, better themselves, are coached, and play as hard as possible.

I seriously doubt you would ever be able to make Blinn's team, much less any other DII team.

im not saying i can make it did i? but if you watch and know. theres a major , "major" difference between the DI , DII, and DII skill set. trust me. jumping from jv to varsity in high school only , you could tell the huge difference. cam went to Blinn bc of his personal reason at Florida and Blinn was the only school that would take him. other than that he wouldve never even touch blinn.

and i know how good the next level is. my bro n law moved down from minnesota once played a high school game against Larry Fitzgerald. he was offer to go play at the high school army bowl game. got a DII scholarship as a walk on. and said it was intense, but nothing compare to a DI. im not a kid

Edited by carolina-chuck, 28 February 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#48 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,640 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

I suspect Brockers ceiling is much higher, but he's also a bigger risk/reward guy then Poe. I think Poe will play in the NFL for many years and be a solid player, but Brockers has the potential to be an all-pro.

Personally, I would take Brockers simply because I believe he has a much higher ceiling. There's a reason why none of us have heard of Poe until now...

#49 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

im not saying i can make it did i? but if you watch and know. theres a major , "major" difference between the DI , DII, and DII skill set. trust me. jumping from jv to varsity in high school only , you could tell the huge difference. cam went to Blinn bc of his personal reason at Florida and Blinn was the only school that would took him. other than that he wouldve never even touch blinn

It's not that Blinn was "the only school that would take him". If you knew anything about college, you would know that Cam had to transfer to a DII school so that he could play the year and not have to sit out during his transfer. Cam could has easily have transferred to any college in America, it would have just taken a year of him sitting out, which he didn't want to do.

Thus, he transferred to Blinn, done his year, and transferred to whichever school that he wanted. Trust me, if no one would have wanted him, do you think that a school as prestigious as Auburn would have taken him on?

And no, I didn't say you said you could make it. You said that the talent level at Blinn was like "winning at Blinn is like beating us carolina huddle members in a flag football game." So, you said "us" Huddle members, which means that you were comparing your own talent to DII talent. Which is stupid.

#50 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I honestly don't know why there is so much hate for Poe.

So many on here act as if we're stating we'd only want Poe.

Both Brockers and Poe have high potential.

Dispite that many think our last year DT's were wasted picks, they weren't.

The Panthers won't draft another dt simply to throw another body at the position. Adding a blue chip player though, that i can see them doing.

Of the two, ya gotta love Poe's size, burst, strength, and ability.
He also fits the dt we need the most. He can play in both the 34 and the 43...which rivera wants to play both.
Both will take time to develop.

like many times, ill say it again. "I LOVE POE" but we cant draft him in the 9th spot due to his combine performance. if we are, im guessing we're the next oakland raiders v2.

#51 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

It's not that Blinn was "the only school that would take him". If you knew anything about college, you would know that Cam had to transfer to a DII school so that he could play the year and not have to sit out during his transfer. Cam could has easily have transferred to any college in America, it would have just taken a year of him sitting out, which he didn't want to do.

Thus, he transferred to Blinn, done his year, and transferred to whichever school that he wanted. Trust me, if no one would have wanted him, do you think that a school as prestigious as Auburn would have taken him on?

And no, I didn't say you said you could make it. You said that the talent level at Blinn was like "winning at Blinn is like beating us carolina huddle members in a flag football game." So, you said "us" Huddle members, which means that you were comparing your own talent to DII talent. Which is stupid.

this conversation started somewhere from "potential" and i brought up that we took cam due to his potential. and we did take him due to his potential to be great and as our franchise qb . otherwise we wouldve took Dareus last year due to his "not potential" and nfl ready skill set on the spot from day 1. right? this cam this n that , DI DII DIII. whatever aint proving anything. so let it go man

#52 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 5,561 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

We drafted Cam because Hurney and Rivera felt like he had done enough in college to prove that he was ready for the NFL. The plan was obviously to play him from the beginning, especially after last preseason, showing that Rivera and Hurney both knew Cam's skill level was enough to warrant him being the number 1 pick.

Did potential have something to do with it? Yes, obviously. That's what the draft is about. But they had researched Cam enough to know that he was capable of handling the job, and was ready to take the job immediately, especially given our QB corp at the time.

#53 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

JASON VERRETT 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

We drafted Cam because Hurney and Rivera felt like he had done enough in college to prove that he was ready for the NFL. The plan was obviously to play him from the beginning, especially after last preseason, showing that Rivera and Hurney both knew Cam's skill level was enough to warrant him being the number 1 pick.

Did potential have something to do with it? Yes, obviously. That's what the draft is about. But they had researched Cam enough to know that he was capable of handling the job, and was ready to take the job immediately, especially given our QB corp at the time.

okay. we both agree on something. "potential" and "researches" are the key to addressing the draft. i apologize for not stating "research"

#54 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

I wish I had more tape. After their respective combines, I went back to the little game film I had... and I still like Brockers more.

#55 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,406 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

He must be reading the huddle. I wrote that yesterday after watching him at the combine. :D

so did i.

#56 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

• HUDDLER
  • 11,406 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

I wish I had more tape. After their respective combines, I went back to the little game film I had... and I still like Brockers more.

game film? youtube vids are game film now?

#57 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

• HUDDLER
  • 11,406 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

despite people in here thinkingthey know how to evaluate talent and thinking they know it all, you can never really know who will be the better of the two until they get into the league and play. you just simply don't know.

#58 LelouchBritannia

LelouchBritannia

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

there's lots of DT talent in this draft class. no, there's not a suh or dareus but then we aren't drafting in the top 5 so it shouldn't be an issue. this isn't the bad/weak class some people think it is.lame excuse. you recruit right and you coach right and you reduce your chances of busting.

other than QB...guess that means we should have esp. avoided QB at first overall last year. quite a few in here bought that crap. funny that many of those thought we should use that pick on a "safer" position like DT.

just because there have been busts at a certain position in the past doesn't mean that they are doomed to repeat. history doesn't have to repeat itself. you see mistakes made in how situations were handled and you do it better.

if they believe DT to be a huge need and something that they believe will help the defense as a whole (both of which is true) and they have a prospect they think has a lot to work with and that can be coached then they take that guy and screw the odds.

There were many circumstances that went into the decision to draft Newton.
1. We had the #1 pick so we had the ability to choose anyone we wanted
2. Clausen was so incredibly bad at quarterback we knew he had no future
3. Cam Newton was probably the best football player in the country last year
4. Cam played against SEC defenses. No pansy Big 12 big 10 or ACC defenses. He did it against the best defenses in the country.

Not only is none of that true for any of the DT prospects. All of them have some serious red flags on the field, we are essentially drafting because we NEED a DT not because they are the BPA or even the NBPA. That's a really bad way to draft when you have needs everywhere on defense, especially when no DT's in this draft have shown any semblance of dominance except at some drills at the combine.

#59 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Jordan Matthews Bandwagon.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

i can say that both of them fua n mcclain are not going to be very good at the end of the day when their careers are over. were you not watching the same carolina team i was last year bc from what i seen, i surely saw no hope in the two of them. i liked kearse n shirely a whole lot more than those other two third rounders.
Corey Irvin was a third rounder. what happend? wasted pick. in the NFL, if you want a real DT, you better find it in the 1st round. and that goes to almost every position in the NFL except kicker n punter

lol So we are basing Fua and McClain's futures over Corey Irvins results?

Um, yeah, that's kinda weak. Also, Not all 1st round DT's pan out. Again I say, you need more than a year. Especially when that year was fubar to begin with. No OTA's, no mini camp, nothing like that to give them any orientation or experience. They are learning on the job. Give them 2-3 years to develop. I'll say this, one of them will not amount to much, right now I can't say which. I'm not a fortune teller. I will also acknowledge they are pure rotational type of DT's. They aren't starter material. Which is why I still don't believe they are wasted picks. You want to know a wasted pick? Everette Brown, Dwayne Jarett.. Those are wasted picks. Also, they are higher than the 3rd round.

#60 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

game film? youtube vids are game film now?

Ummm yes? Not highlight videos, a collection of all the plays involving that player in the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.