Photo
- - - - -

Opposing Line Coach Says Poe 'Took Plays Off'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#46 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Top 10 you heavily factor in BPA...just bc you need a DT doesn't mean you can justify pick

In the top 10 outside of QB, you are picking the best or second player at that position that year. So the BPA is just what they are at a position of need. If Poe is your best DT in your mind you pick him at 9 with no hesistation. If on the other hand you think he is simlar in talent to someone you can get later on or you have questions, you go in a different direction.

It is like the Armanti pick... he went too high. Just bc you like a guy doesn't mean you can justify picking him anywhere. That is amplified at the top of the draft...you can't just ignore all the players who are better there.

Only people comparing him to Ngata are choosing to ignore how they actually PLAYED in college.

If someone drafted the Oregon DT at 10 last year that would have been dumb. Can't ignore BPA for need and opt on some guy who didn't prove much on a football field when looking at the top 10.

People are too busy comparing this kid to players he doesn't compare to

This is not like Edwards at all. Edwards was a quarterback who didn't have the measurable to play that position in the NFL and we tried to make into something else. Poe is a DT who is an underclassmen with extreme atleticism and strength who didn't play as well as he should have. Even trying to draw a comparison is ridiculous.

As for who is comparing him to Ngata??? Mayock said it at the combine. Brian Billick tweeted it. I would say Mayock did see him play and still likes him. Maybe he knows something you don't???

#47 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'm curious why you've gone so gung ho about this guy? We all know you've never seen him play. You've gone nuts about him based only on his combine. Do you really think he will be good or do you just like to argue you point until you are blue in the face.

I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just weird how much you have latched on to this guy.

#48 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

Who cares if college players take plays off

I do.

More to the point, so do a lot of pro coaches.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't draft him, but drafting in the top ten? I'd sure as heck take it into consideration when evaluating whether he's more worth that pick than other contenders.

#49 csx

csx

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

I do.

More to the point, so do a lot of pro coaches.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't draft him, but drafting in the top ten? I'd sure as heck take it into consideration when evaluating whether he's more worth that pick than other contenders.

I'm hoping he was being sarcastic. He probably wasn't but I'm hoping.

#50 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

I'm curious why you've gone so gung ho about this guy? We all know you've never seen him play. You've gone nuts about him based only on his combine. Do you really think he will be good or do you just like to argue you point until you are blue in the face.

I'm not trying to be an ass, it's just weird how much you have latched on to this guy.

Actually you don't know squat like usual. I am an ECU fan and go to all their games. I have seen Poe play in person and on TV several times. Like usual you are talking out of your butt with no knowledge whatsoever.
As for why I like Poe, you don't find guys with his measurables at his size often. Ever. When you do you draft them and develop them. The only issue is whether his underperformance in games is a function of desire, coaching, ability or something else. I think he will be the next Ngata or Jenkins so I want him. But I can see the point about underproduction and have a history of not predicting who we will draft with the exception of last year with Newton.

I trust that the scouts and coaching staff will do their homework but I have the luxury of touting him as my choice for the next several weeks until we go in a different direction.

#51 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

When you have a helmet on your head, your game face on, you better have a motor that goes 100% on every play. I don't care if it is in college, Pee Wees, or in Madden. Who cares if he took plays off? Really?

#52 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• PipPipPipPip
Banned

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

If we are picking a dt he'd be the only guy id be happy with. Bc he can be beast. Im tired of being conservative. We went for the homerun in Newton last year and Poe would be the home run for DT this year. Sometimes when you swing big you strike out, but im over the Panthers not taking chances.

#53 DoWorkBson

DoWorkBson

Hopped up out the bed

• PipPipPipPip
Banned

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

When you have a helmet on your head, your game face on, you better have a motor that goes 100% on every play. I don't care if it is in college, Pee Wees, or in Madden. Who cares if he took plays off? Really?

You have no back up, your offense blows and your on the field all day. You weigh 350 and you ball out all damn day? Impossible.

#54 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

The whole taking plays off issue often gets rectified pretty quickly when guys who were the biggest and strongest guys get schooled day 1 in the NFL. Then they sit the bench and have to work for playing time. Up to then they were the starters and everyone treated them special but now they realize that unless they work their butts off, that Escalade they bought their mother has to be paid for. The best thing that happened was a rookie wage scale where the big money is on their second contract not their first. Is it still a concern? Yes, of course. Should it stop us from drafting him? I say no but I can see where others would say yes.

#55 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

In the top 10 outside of QB, you are picking the best or second player at that position that year. So the BPA is just what they are at a position of need. If Poe is your best DT in your mind you pick him at 9 with no hesistation. If on the other hand you think he is simlar in talent to someone you can get later on or you have questions, you go in a different direction.

This is not like Edwards at all. Edwards was a quarterback who didn't have the measurable to play that position in the NFL and we tried to make into something else. Poe is a DT who is an underclassmen with extreme atleticism and strength who didn't play as well as he should have. Even trying to draw a comparison is ridiculous.

As for who is comparing him to Ngata??? Mayock said it at the combine. Brian Billick tweeted it. I would say Mayock did see him play and still likes him. Maybe he knows something you don't???

Edwards was only brought up bc you stated if you like a player...then you can justify taking him anywhere. I disagreed with that and Edwards was my example...Carolina shouldn't of taken him that high. If they liked him they should of seen if he was available at a more realistic spot in the draft.

So which is it?

Edited by CRA, 01 March 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#56 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Edwards was only brought up bc you stated if you like a player...then you can justify taking him anywhere. I disagreed with that and Edwards was my example...Carolina shouldn't of taken him that high. If they liked him they should of seen if he was available at a more realistic spot in the draft.

So which is it?

If you like a player it has to be playing the position he actually played in college. I don't know how you can accurately predict how a player will translate to a position he never played in college or high school. So once again Edwards is a bad example. If they were going to take a huge gamble like that it shouldn't have been a trade where we gave up a second the next year to get a third that year. Those are the type of gambles you make in the 5th round or lower at the pick you have.
Plus we were talking about a difference maker in the first round like a quarterback and not quibbling about 10 spots. Edwards was projected as third rounder as a quarterback not as a returner or receiver. If people were evaluating where to draft him as a receiver he would have gone undrafted.

You can make a case that converting someone from a corner to a safety is doable but this was a huge stretch and the example is surely not germaine to this conversation.

#57 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

If you like a player it has to be playing the position he actually played in college. I don't know how you can accurately predict how a player will translate to a position he never played in college or high school. So once again Edwards is a bad example. If they were going to take a huge gamble like that it shouldn't have been a trade where we gave up a second the next year to get a third that year. Those are the type of gambles you make in the 5th round or lower at the pick you have.
Plus we were talking about a difference maker in the first round like a quarterback and not quibbling about 10 spots. Edwards was projected as third rounder as a quarterback not as a returner or receiver. If people were evaluating where to draft him as a receiver he would have gone undrafted.

You can make a case that converting someone from a corner to a safety is doable but this was a huge stretch and the example is surely not germaine to this conversation.

So if you like a player you can justify taking him anywhere but only if he plays the same position in the pros? That doesn't change anything for me...still disagree. You can't justify drafting certain guys early...if they are projected to be a 4th or 5th rounder then you can't snag him in the 2nd and get by with saying...but we really like him.

Doesn't matter who is used as an example...

#58 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

So if you like a player you can justify taking him anywhere but only if he plays the same position in the pros? That doesn't change anything for me...still disagree. You can't justify drafting certain guys early...if they are projected to be a 4th or 5th rounder then you can't snag him in the 2nd and get by with saying...but we really like him.

Doesn't matter who is used as an example...

Once again you are misconstruing the whole argument in order to try and prove your point. Lets review. You started off saying that Poe at 9 was a reach and at 20 might be a good value. I said that Pat Kirwin said that if you value a guy as your impact player in the first round it shouldn't matter if you pick him at 9 or 20. If you only have 1 first rounder and he will be gone before you pick again the number of the pick wasn't that important. If you try and trade down 10 spots you have to be willing for the 10 best potential guys on your board to be gone at those spots and if the guy you covet is gone, then trading down backfired unless you have other guys rated as highly at which point you pick them. Then I used the example of Tampa using the 17 pick on Freeman although some folks had him as a second rounder and that the GM said he would have taken Freeman at 17, or 7 or where ever given he was their franchise quarterback.

Then you come out of left field with Edwards as an example and I argued that he was totally irrelevant to the conversation and just gave the reasons why and you post the above.

Maybe it is me but somehow what you are discussing now has nothing to do with what we started with so forgive me if I appear confused with your logic.

#59 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Once again you are misconstruing the whole argument in order to try and prove your point. Lets review. You started off saying that Poe at 9 was a reach and at 20 might be a good value. I said that Pat Kirwin said that if you value a guy as your impact player in the first round it shouldn't matter if you pick him at 9 or 20. If you only have 1 first rounder and he will be gone before you pick again the number of the pick wasn't that important. If you try and trade down 10 spots you have to be willing for the 10 best potential guys on your board to be gone at those spots and if the guy you covet is gone, then trading down backfired unless you have other guys rated as highly at which point you pick them. Then I used the example of Tampa using the 17 pick on Freeman although some folks had him as a second rounder and that the GM said he would have taken Freeman at 17, or 7 or where ever given he was their franchise quarterback.

Then you come out of left field with Edwards as an example and I argued that he was totally irrelevant to the conversation and just gave the reasons why and you post the above.

Maybe it is me but somehow what you are discussing now has nothing to do with what we started with so forgive me if I appear confused with your logic.

I would disagree with Pat Kirwin then.

also, I don't put much stock into what a GM says he "would have done" after he has a guy. He didn't do it.

So now you are saying top of first round or bottom of first round? Shrinking the window there...I still disagree. You don't take someone at #5 you likely could get at#25.

#60 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

I would disagree with Pat Kirwin then.

also, I don't put much stock into what a GM says he "would have done" after he has a guy. He didn't do it.

So now you are saying top of first round or bottom of first round? Shrinking the window there...I still disagree. You don't take someone at #5 you likely could get at#25.

yes you do if he is your guy. you dont wait because you dont know what other teams big boards look like.