Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rank the most important positions in a 4-3 defense

47 posts in this topic

Posted

It depends on your defensive philosophy.

For all intents and purposes then refer to Riveras press conference about it after he was hired

Posted

Let's get back to the basics. The Line will dictate the game. Regardless of anything. The trenches are the core.

So to me, the Defensive line has to adequately pass rush, pressure, run-stop, fill gaps, etc.

As far as which defensive position in the line of scrimmage is the most important. The End and Tackle are harmonious. They have to work as a unit. I'd have to say DE is slightly more important than DT/UT. Just by a bit.

Posted

coach

Posted

DE - pressure the QB and seal the edge

3 tech DT - penetrate and disrupt

MLB - ideally, an on field coach/coordinator to adjust the D

CB

Posted

DE - pressure the QB and seal the edge

3 tech DT - penetrate and disrupt

MLB - ideally, an on field coach/coordinator to adjust the D

CB

so basically you need playmakers at every level of the defense

Posted

DE, DT, MLB > the rest

Posted

It depends on your defensive philosophy.

yep

Posted

me

Posted

In a base 43 scheme, I think the DE is the most important position... it's really up to the DE's to get pressure on the QB.

If the DE is the most important position, then the next most important position is DT because a good DT makes a DE more effective. In any scheme, you must be able to stop the run. Once you've got the run stopped, the DT's must be able to generate pressure up the middle to make it easier for the DE's to get to the QB. Look at the Giants for an example, they have a ho-hum secondary but the d-line play allows them to get away with it (and win 2 championships).

I'd rank CB next, then LB's and then the safeties (although the LB/safety discussion really depends on the philosophy).

Posted

You need a better line to play cover or tampa 2, but any 4-3 needs a defensive line that doesn't collectively play like poo

Posted

You need a better line to play cover or tampa 2, but any 4-3 needs a defensive line that doesn't collectively play like poo

well, specifically the most important part of the tampa-2 is the weak side linebacker.

in fact it's so hard to do it that it took a hall of fame linebacker to do it correctly.

2 people like this

Posted

also lance briggs is good