#826 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

I think Williams has been told in no uncertain terms, that if he ever wants to coach in the NFL again, he needs to come clean.

In the meantime, via Peter King's twitter:

Still don't think the Saints are screwed?

Saints are about to be on the wrong end of the biggest sanctions in the history of the NFL. I think we all may be underestimating the punishment that's coming...

I think the "steam coming out of his ears" comment pretty much tells me they might need to brace themselves for some big penalties.

You'll note that Payton and Loomis are greatly emphasizing the whole "Tom Benson didn't know" line.

Suuuuuuure he didn't :sosp:

I'm really starting to believe he did.

#827 Darknight

Darknight

Official Rep Keeper

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationKinston

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Wow...it keeps getting better and better

In a must-read account of the Saints’ three-season bounty system, Peter King of Sports Illustrated shares plenty of intriguing and compelling details. MDS already has highlighted portions of the article relating to Roger Goodell’s reaction to the situation and linebacker Scott Fujita’s position on the subject. But there’s even more good stuff.

During the 2009 NFC title game, which both sparked the league’s investigation and served as the most obvious example of assault and battery of an opposing quarterback, King writes that, after an unflagged high-low hit on Brett Favre resulted in a sprained ankle, an unnamed Saints defender was heard saying on an on-field microphone, “Pay me my money!”

(We know what you’re thinking: The league killed Monday’s re-air of the game on NFL Network because the comment could be heard during the broadcast. Apparently, however, it was a different microphone.)

King also explains that defensive end Anthony Hargrove can be heard saying, “Favre is out of the game! Favre is done! Favre is done!”

Both statements would be strong circumstantial proof of the existence of a bounty program, if the NFL hadn’t already found that the bounty program existed. And King spells out the weekly routine that unfolded during the 2009 season, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ first in New Orleans.

On Saturday night, Williams handed out in a defensive meeting envelopes containing payments for big plays and inflicted injuries from the prior Sunday. And the defenders would then chant, “Give it back! Give it back! Give it back!” Many did, which caused the pile of available cash to keep growing.

The bounty system continued even after, as King explains in the Tuesday edition of his MMQB column, former Vikings coach Brad Childress sent to the league video of eight different hits on Favre from that game, the Vikings officially alleged that the Saints had put a bounty on Favre, and Williams, linebackers coach Joe Vitt, and Hargrove denied (i.e., lied about) its existence to investigators. For Williams, the denials (i.e., lies) continued through the middle of February 2012, when Williams was confronted with evidence implicating him as the “ringleader.” Williams, per King, once again tried to deny it, but Williams then met with Goodell to confess.

Williams was back in New York on Monday, possibly to confess yet again (after possibly denying/lying yet again) his involvement in bounty systems in other cities.

King thinks the punishment issued to the Saints and various individuals will “likely dwarf” the penalties meted out for Spygate. The more we learn about the situation, the less surprising that will be.

http://profootballta...ay-me-my-money/

#828 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,151 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

:)

#829 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

just come out with the punishment already. Im ready to see full season suspensions, bans, hefty fines, multiple draft picks taken away.

#830 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I was curious how that would go over with Saints FO.. Williams is going to try to survive and keep a job.

Here's the thing about Williams... he had this rep, league-wide, at the Redskins and the Bills.

And, knowing this, THE SAINTS HIRED HIM.

They got *exactly* what they wanted.

And they're going to get *exactly* what they deserve.

If you buy a dog that is well known for biting and it bites someone, whose fault is it? The dog's? Or the owner's?

#831 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

UFL Saints? or maybe the arena league is better suited for those pussy ass dome bitches

Great idea, but I say we set up an "English Premier League" system and relegate the poor, downtrodden saints from the NFPL (the old NFL) to the new FL (the new relegated league).

We can start off with New Orleans, Indianapolis (post-Peyton), Oakland (because they're a mess), Denver (so The Golden Calf of Bristol can learn how to be a QB), Seattle, and Washington relegated to the FL. :D

#832 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

Ya gotta bet nobody is happier about the Manning story than the Saints and their fans :lol:

#833 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

What if, in order to lessen the huge punishment Goodell is going to give them, the Saints signed Peyton Manning and traded Drew Brees for 1st round picks?

#834 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Manning and his family are from New Orleans.

#835 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think the "steam coming out of his ears" comment pretty much tells me they might need to brace themselves for some big penalties.

You'll note that Payton and Loomis are greatly emphasizing the whole "Tom Benson didn't know" line.

Suuuuuuure he didn't :sosp:

I'm really starting to believe he did.

Yes, and unless I misunderstood I think Benson himself admitted he knew about it when he ordered Loomis to put a stop to it... so which is it?

#836 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Nfl?

#837 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

I can't get enough of this video.. the laughing is almost therapeutic..

#838 JJlovesthePanthers

JJlovesthePanthers

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I know this type of stuff happens across the league and people just don't get caught. But it still pisses me off. Being that we play them twice a year.

#839 breezing2anotherSB

breezing2anotherSB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I can't get enough of this video.. the laughing is almost therapeutic..

Just curious, remove the biased opinion about the Panthers, what was wrong with the hits on Warner or Farve?

#840 breezing2anotherSB

breezing2anotherSB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Here's the thing about Williams... he had this rep, league-wide, at the Redskins and the Bills.

And, knowing this, THE SAINTS HIRED HIM.

They got *exactly* what they wanted.

And they're going to get *exactly* what they deserve.

If you buy a dog that is well known for biting and it bites someone, whose fault is it? The dog's? Or the owner's?

You mean a Super Bowl?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.