Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Defensive Linemen Taken in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft over past two years

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Are you making a case of DE or DT??

Of the 19 players you listed I do believe only these 4 players start at DT in the NFL

Ndamukong Suh#2 Overall

Gerald McCoy #3 overall

Marcel Dareus#3 overall

Tyson Alualu #10 overall

(Phily Taylor, Muhammed Wilkerson,Jared Odrick,Corey Liguet play primarily as DE'S in a 3-4 D).

I would like to know who you think is going to be as good as Suh or Dareus in this draft because if we find that guy then I will jump on DT bandwagon with everyone else.

Nick fairley played alot when healthy, also Phil Taylor is a DT in a 4-3 not a 3-4

1 person likes this

Posted

Also you should've only posted DT's that play DT or NT the majority of the time.

My Argument was never that there wasn't a Suh in this draft, it was that there isn't a DT worth a top 10 pick. Hell, there isn't a DT worth a top 15 pick. At least not the ones most on here are talking about. "Poe and Brockers" The player that should be the top rated DT in this class at the moment would be Cox.

Do you see the Panther's drafting Cox at 9?

I'd take cox at 9; good combine, supposedly interviewed well, and the most important thing is that he produced in the SEC

Posted

Nick fairley played alot when healthy, also Phil Taylor is a DT in a 4-3 not a 3-4

your absolutely right, i fugged that up..thanks, fixing it now

Posted

I'd take cox at 9; good combine, supposedly interviewed well, and the most important thing is that he produced in the SEC

If they take him, I wouldn't be that upset about it. He's way better of a prospect then either Brockers or Poe. This talk of Brockers or Poe at 9 is just ridiculous.

Posted

Also you should've only posted DT's that play DT or NT the majority of the time.

My Argument was never that there wasn't a Suh in this draft, it was that there isn't a DT worth a top 10 pick. Hell, there isn't a DT worth a top 15 pick. At least not the ones most on here are talking about. "Poe and Brockers" The player that should be the top rated DT in this class at the moment would be Cox.

Do you see the Panther's drafting Cox at 9?

yes i would.pass rusher with major upside. 3 year starter in the SEC.

Posted

Whomever the FO feels is best. I'm fine with any. As long as we address the most wanting aspect of our team-the DL.

....that was the most bland answer I've ever seen you write. I know you are vocal about your opinions. I just want to know who that would be, whether you like a certain DT over a DE or vice versa.

What are your thoughts on Brockers, Cox, Still?

What about Coples, Ingram, Perry, etc?

Personally I'm thinking Cox over all the DT's. As far as DE's I can't see us not taking Coples if he's there. I'm not falling for Poe just yet. I knew he would shoot up the boards but there is something about a guy that didn't produce so much. He's still a specimen, don't know if he should be taken at 9 though.

Posted

I think 'BPA' should be outlawed here until after the draft. It's a term being slung around like money in the Saints locker room.

Posted

Anderson is a better OLB than any DT we have is at DT. By a lot. In other words he's a very solid but unspectacular OLB. Easily a starting quality LB. We don't have a DT that's easily a starting quality DT.

Posted

Well, just because 2011 and 2010 had a lot of good prospects, doesnt mean that 2012 will...

But, I have to give you props for making a legitimate argument, and I will admit that you have swayed my thoughts some.

There definately are guys in that list that contributed heavily in year 1, and some really nice draftees from 2010 that are blue chips now.

Good post.

Posted

What I laugh about are shoddy posts like the OP post. Jumbling DEs and DTs together, saying they all contributed with no stats or facts so we can make up our own mind whether the premise is true rather than blindly accepting the OP's premise.

Maybe it is true, maybe not who would know without any facts either way. Totally useless post which doesn't prove whether the concept has validity or not. You wonder if he did the work to begin with and formulated the idea after fact gathering or had an agenda before hand so the facts don't really matter.

1 person likes this

Posted

So there seems to be this delusional myth by this certain segment of awkward people whom are overly obsessed with the term "BPA."

They seem to think, contrary to the evidence, that a DT takes 9 years to finally be able to contribute to a team. So I figured I'd post this here, and every time they say something to you like that in the future, you can point your finger and laugh and stuff.

Disclaimer: Frankly, I wanted to do a five year span, but began to wonder why I'm even bothering argue what is so apparent to everyone else, so this will have to do for now.

If the guys in the NFL offices feel there are good DLmen (which they obviously do..no e-nerd screaming zomg but he isn't Suh is going to sway the opinion of a fanbase who saw what the entire world saw last year-that our DT's arent good. (:eek6:)

Edit: For those who may be curious, the 2007 and 2009 drafts were also good for DLmen. '08 was poor but also saw like only four guys taken, so what does that tell you? I won't be bothered to write all it down...this is where you must became and man and type "Google" into your browser all by your lonesome.

really dude? We get that you're trying to act snarky and all but you're not convincing enough. Your good at being the asshole, but you need to check Fiz's playbook on the football side of things to do it correctly up in this mother fuga :)

Please try again

Posted

DT is more important, DT can be played well in a player's first season, and while that last thing you said has no relevance to this thread, it sure looks that way at least on the surface, though I'd have to do some more digging.

If a DT is good his first year, chances are he will be a good player. If he isn't, the chances of him turning it around seem slim. That appears to be the trend.

Which obviously doesn't bode well for the whole "Sione Fua will be a magical Samoan powerhouse next season" theory.

First of all, you're shoddy assessment is trying to link a very select few Top 10 talents out of an entire draft to disprove that DT's aren't typically NFL ready and should play really good in their 1st year... Certainly you should see the wide gaping hole in your argument thus far.

Fact remains, it typically takes time to gain technique and strength/conditioning..