Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good Reads

60 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone read Divergent? Friend of mine is recommending it but i tend to read books with more than one recommendation.

I read it in two days actually :)

it was good..I enjoyed it...It's a YA adult book..so it's a very quick read. If you liked Hunger Games you'll more than likely like it

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm about to start reading Freakonomics. GF just finished it up on the kindle and said I'll like it.

It's extremely hard for me to read anything but non fiction. The last book I read was Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy.

1 person likes this

Posted

I recently started listening to my books..I never realized how much I can get done whilst listening!! you know..like clean the kitchen and make the hubby sammiches..walk the dog..drive to/from work....anyhoo..this is what I started listening to yesterday

4699575.jpg

Posted

Are those numbers on the cover ^ ? Looks like the Matrix.... what's it about?

Posted

Publisher's Summary

Technology controls almost everything in our modern-day world, from remote entry on our cars to access to our homes, from the flight controls of our airplanes to the movements of the entire world economy. Thousands of autonomous computer programs, or daemons, make our networked world possible, running constantly in the background of our lives, trafficking e-mail, transferring money, and monitoring power grids. For the most part, daemons are benign, but the same can't always be said for the people who design them.

Matthew Sobol was a legendary computer game designer - the architect behind half-a-dozen popular online games. His premature death depressed both gamers and his company's stock price. But Sobol's fans aren't the only ones to note his passing. When his obituary is posted online, a previously dormant daemon activates, initiating a chain of events intended to unravel the fabric of our hyper-efficient, interconnected world. With Sobol's secrets buried along with him, and as new layers of his daemon are unleashed at every turn, it's up to an unlikely alliance to decipher his intricate plans and wrest the world from the grasp of a nameless, faceless enemy - or learn to live in a society in which we are no longer in control. . . .

Posted

Sounds like something I would like.

Posted

What's next, gonna start reading William Gibson? :)

Posted

Just finished 'Unbroken' by Laura Hillenbrand. Pretty good story...would make a great movie I think. It's a biography about Louis Zamperini who was the youngest (at the time) Olympic 5000 meter contestant ever. It's really an amazing story. He ran in the 1936 Olympics and many thought he would be the first to break the 4 minute mile. He planned on competing at the 1940 Olympics but because of the war (soon to be World War II), he didn't get the chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Zamperini

Posted

Speaking of reading... I'm working on Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series now... about 3 books into it. Really enjoying it...

For those of you with eReaders or tablets, I found a forum site that has lots and lots of free epubs, PDFs and mobi files... PM me if you want the link.

Posted

- scfi wise i just got done with the original starship troopers

Posted

I'm reading the (complete) Atopia Chronicles, by Matthew Mather. Multi/alternate/synthetic/parallel realities novel taking place on a created city-state island in the Pacific. Mind blowing when you try to wrap your head around the various "multi-verses". Good story and the guy can actually write too.

Posted

I would really recommend the Kingkiller Chronicle to anyone who's a fan of medieval fantasy. It started out slow, but now I'm almost as eager for the third book to come out as I am for GRRM's Winds of Winter.

http://www.amazon.com/Name-Wind-Kingkiller-Chronicles-Day/dp/0756404746