53 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,701 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:10 AM

my wife and i have a year-and-a-half old cat with claws and she tears up furniture like a mofo.

would you declaw a cat? do you consider it cruel? any experiences with declawed cats going bad?

#2 Jeff L

Jeff L

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Years ago we had a cat doing the exact same thing yours is doing and had his front claws removed. Make sure if you do it the car never goes outside because it has no way of defending itself.

#3 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,701 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

yeah she's permanently indoors. and we would only get her front claws done.

#4 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,334 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Try using a bullet

#5 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,701 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

how would that work? you would have to shoot the tips of the claw off really accurately and that just doesn't seem like a efficient way to go about it. i'm going with someone elses suggestions

#6 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,029 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Didn't have that problem with my cat, she only ever put her claws into the future to stretch and would stop that when ever I saw it. She's been gone 16 years and still have two couches from then.

Edited by Jangler, 10 March 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#7 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,701 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

if my cat ever stretches her claws into the future i will freak out.

#8 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

I would just not get a cat or not get leather couches. If I cared about my furniture more than my cat I just wouldn't get a cat.

#9 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,734 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

It is a major surgery. They have to take the entire last bone out of the paws. Cats claws aren't like our finger nails. It's a horrible practice that has terrible psychological effects on the animals. You might actually have trouble finding a vet that will perform the procedure as most of them refuse to do it these days. You need to find a scratching object that your cat will use and they will stop using your furniture.

Edited by Floppin, 10 March 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#10 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Imagine someone cutting your finger tips off to the first knuckle because that's what they do to the cat when they're declawed. Cats walk on that portion of their paws too. Some vets will no longer do the surgery any more.

I have a cat that has never clawed the furniture. We provide things that belong to him to claw up when he needs to. If you don't get you cat anything else, get him a Sisal scratching post. Its the one that has rope wrapped around it instead of carpet. But if you want to do something he'll really like, get him one if those cat towers.
Cats have to scratch and stretch on something so you might as well provide something for them. Also trimming their nails once every two weeks will cut down on them needing to scratch.

#11 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

I wouldn't do it.

#12 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

• Moderators
  • 6,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Real men declaw their cats with their teeth.

Actually, real men don't have cats. But this method would help you save face.

#13 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,449 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

if the concern is defending themselves, then don't remove at all. no matter where they are, who is around [even if no one], they always hiss and scratch and claw. if they could say one thing, it would be, "don't kill me don't kill me don't kill me."

#14 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

No, I wouldn't have a cat declawed. It's cruel. Find something for her to scratch, like LIAG said.

I hope no vets are still doing it.

#15 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

It is a major surgery. They have to take the entire last bone out of the paws. Cats claws aren't like our finger nails. It's a horrible practice that has terrible psychological effects on the animals. You might actually have trouble finding a vet that will perform the procedure as most of them refuse to do it these days. You need to find a scratching object that your cat will use and they will stop using your furniture.

It's a cat's way at trimming their front claws. I have a major cat scratching post that looks like a wave. I find parts of her claws all the time embedded into the carpeting.

I would NEVER declaw a cat. How you like to be de-fingered!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com