panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

So you don't think we overpaid anyone?

Don't need to compare it to the franchise tag bc I think Carolina should of done the new deals. They could of paid every one of those guys listed less money and saved millions. What was CJ offered in Atl again? He could do been retained with a new deal for a lot less.....same for Godfrey and Davis.

Beason could be the deal that hurts the worst....but going in you had to pay him. The others guys you had to pay to keep ....just not as much as we did.

You are saying we couldn't of kept this guys on smaller new deals? I find that hard to believe. CJ was the best and most attractive....and no one was offering close to what we paid.

You sign your core and pay them well so they don't go to free agency. You can't pay them less than the going rate and expect them not to test free agency. CJ was paid a premium so he stayed here. Remember we were coming off a 2-14 season and had just cut a ton of veterans. we were looking like the worse team in the NFL before we turned things around. Who wanted to play for us if we didn't pay them a bunch?? CJ said he wanted to go to a contender, he only stayed here because we paid him so much. So no I don't think we could have paid smaller contracts after Richardson gutted the team in 2010. Do I think we could pay less this year given what happened in 2011, yeah perhaps so. But I think everyone forgets how bad things were last offseason.

#62 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,461 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

So you don't think Cam/Stewart could of taken more reps instead of Williams taking those? Maybe of added a true 3rd down RB for very light work as well?

Too often people focus too much on what Williams CAN do or DOES. When people say they don't want Williams they aren't saying he sucks. Just saying Stewart can do it. Stewart wants those reps anyway. Stewart isn't living in this world fans paint where he was to share the load his whole career. They overlook that others can do what he is doing aready on this roster. His name in Jonathan Stewart.

That money could of given us a stud defensive player......thus if Williams work can be done by another we are better using his money elsewhere.

Haven't we beaten this to death. I might argue the point if I thought there was a 1% chance you would change your mind. But given that won't happen lets agree to disagree and move on. This is the same stuff rehashed over and over in every thread.

#63 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

You sign your core and pay them well so they don't go to free agency. You can't pay them less than the going rate and expect them not to test free agency. CJ was paid a premium so he stayed here. Remember we were coming off a 2-14 season and had just cut a ton of veterans. we were looking like the worse team in the NFL before we turned things around. Who wanted to play for us if we didn't pay them a bunch?? CJ said he wanted to go to a contender, he only stayed here because we paid him so much. So no I don't think we could have paid smaller contracts after Richardson gutted the team in 2010. Do I think we could pay less this year given what happened in 2011, yeah perhaps so. But I think everyone forgets how bad things were last offseason.

So we couldn't of resigned and paid Johnson, Godrey, and Davis well....and paid them less? Atl proved what the going rate was for CJ....and we comically paid more. If you shock the player w/ your offer....that is a good sign you are overpaying.

No team was going to ****** up Davis and pay him that (plus he wanted to be here). No team was going to pay Godfrey that either. Plenty of reporters also have quoted "unnamed GMs" who said Carolina was crazy paying Wiliams as well.

#64 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Haven't we beaten this to death. I might argue the point if I thought there was a 1% chance you would change your mind. But given that won't happen lets agree to disagree and move on. This is the same stuff rehashed over and over in every thread.

well, I guess we need the Panthers to do something and give us some new topics then.....

#65 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,423 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

So we couldn't of resigned and paid Johnson, Godrey, and Davis well....and paid them less? Atl proved what the going rate was for CJ....and we comically paid more. If you shock the player w/ your offer....that is a good sign you are overpaying.

No team was going to ****** up Davis and pay him that (plus he wanted to be here). No team was going to pay Godfrey that either. Plenty of reporters also have quoted "unnamed GMs" who said Carolina was crazy paying Wiliams as well.

You obviously didn't understand the situation we were in last year and that's why you don't understand why we payed CJ and Dwill so much.

#66 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

The going rate isn't universally the same for every team.

If we matched Atlanta's offer or paid a little more do you truly think he would've picked us over his where he grew up , where his family lives and where they would be top contenders for the Super Bowl?

Then add to the fact that if the price wasn't good enough he would be going to our division rival and we'd be facing one of the best Defensive ends twice a year. We got worse while they got better.
We couldn't risk that.

Had not been Atlanta then I think you would've seen a lower contract, but he had connections and the stakes were high.

#67 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,461 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

I love how you can definitively say that no one was going to pay him that, or that this was what he was worth. You have no idea what was going on, what the offers were or anything else. Seriously, do you really think that Hurney overpaid guys for no reason and just threw away millions? After Richardson was so tight in 2010 do you think he would retained Hurney after all these contracts if he wasn't fine with the direction we are heading? We didn't tender Schwartz which some think is a money issue. So we would pay one guy 30 million more than we had to and wouldn't pay another guy 1.5 million because we are so screwed up we are just an awful FO. I really don't see how you think Richardson would allow those kind of things. He is a busineesman and this is a business. I have to assume that he and Hurney know alot of things you don't have a clue about. Give the guy a break. Sure he screws up sometime but to listen to you he has never done anything right besides drafting Newton.If Ricardson would fire his own sons, he wouldn't keep Hurney if he half as bad as you portray him to be.

Edited by panthers55, 12 March 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#68 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I've seen this thread before ...

#69 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,461 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

well, I guess we need the Panthers to do something and give us some new topics then.....

Or we could stop beating the same dead horse in every thread when obviously the front office, and many fans don't agree with you.

#70 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

You obviously didn't understand the situation we were in last year and that's why you don't understand why we payed CJ and Dwill so much.

I can understand the argument for Johnson. I just think instead of payin him 20 million more than he was offered by Atl....they could of done less. They could of still drastically outbid Atl....and paid less.

No, the arguements for paying Williams made little sense to me once Fox left and we had Stewart. Once we knew we were getting Cam it made less. Again, that has little to do with how good Williams is or isn't.

#71 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

I love how you can definitively say that no one was going to pay him that, or that this was what he was worth. You have no idea what was going on, what the offers were or anything else. Seriously, do you really think that Hurney overpaid guys for no reason and just threw away millions? After Richardson was so tight in 2010 do you think he would retained Hurney after all these contracts if he wasn't fine with the direction we are heading? We didn't tender Schwartz which some think is a money issue. So we would pay one guy 30 million more than we had to and wouldn't pay another guy 1.5 million because we are so screwed up we are just an awful FO. I really don't see how you think Richardson would allow those kind of things. He is a busineesman and this is a business. I have to assume that he and Hurney know alot of things you don't have a clue about. Give the guy a break. Sure he screws up sometime but to listen to you he has never done anything right besides drafting Newton.If Ricardson would fire his own sons, he wouldn't keep Hurney if he half as bad as you portray him to be.

Sorry but I think it is an educated assumption that no team was going to pay a LB coming off 2 ACL tears that type money.

I think based on Hurneys history there is enough to support that he does overpay. He doesn't do it just bc we had a bad year...it is consistent with this franchise. Sure, there are PROS and cons to everything....but pointing out the cons is going to happen.

I don't think I said Hurney was bad....he doesn't consistently overpay guys....pros and cons to it. Can't pretend there aren't negatives with there moves.

#72 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,497 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

The Lions making moves for cap relief.

http://www.foxsports...836&feedID=3862

On PFT

Quarterback Matthew Stafford, defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and receiver Nate Burleson have all restructured deals. Stafford and Suh surely just converted some of this year’s base salaries into signing bonuses that can be prorated over the rest of their contracts. It’s not clear whether Burleson took less money or simply restructured in the same way.
Suh’s agent, Rosey Barnes, told FOX Sports Detroit that the deal will save the Lions “a significant amount” of cap space. Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press notes that Suh’s cap number was scheduled to be $12.8 million, but the Lions can cut that in half by converting his $9.25 million base salary into the league minimum and give him the difference as a signing bonus. Burleson’s deal saved about $2.17 million in cap space. The particulars about Stafford’s deal are not yet known.

#73 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

lot of people in this thread that need to learn the difference between 'of' and 'have'

#74 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Or we could stop beating the same dead horse in every thread when obviously the front office, and many fans don't agree with you.

I am beating the same dead horse no more than you....you just hit it from the other side. There are just as many fans (and there have been quoted front offices) who think the Williams deal was silly as those that think it was smart.

We simply disagree.

#75 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

We can restructure few contracts, sign Smitty and Gamble to a new deals and we will be $20m under.

Smitty, Wharton, Gamble, and Jordan Gross account for like 50% of our cap room. We will extend Smitty and Gamble, maybe even Wharton. This will save us close to $30-$40m.

just a FYI your numbers are not even CLOSE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.