Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tarheelpride

Kid is shot, killed by neighborhood association captain

1,125 posts in this topic

Zimmerman was self appointed security, wasn't he? Like a bored guy driving around the neighborhood with a gun looking for trouble so he could be a hero, right?

Kind of like a rent a cop you see at the mall but if he just showed up with an actual gun and followed people without getting hired or paid?

This sort of ignorant generalizations got an innocent man accused of bombing the Atlanta Olympics...just because he looked like Paul Blart and lived with his mom and psychologists were all about profiling.

No one knows what/how Zimmerman approached Martin.

Zimmerman may have just asked him a few questions...and even if he did sound accusatory there's no law against that. You have to show that Zimmerman 1) pulled his weapon 2) touched Martin or 3) levied a threat against Martin.

Same goes for Martin...it would have to show he 1) pretended he had a weapon 2) touched Zimmerman or 3) levied a threat against Zimmerman.

No one knows when Zimmerman pulled his weapon. Buddy of mine has a CCW permit and has one in an ankle holster all the time and you'd never know it. Did Zimmerman pull it at the beginning? Don't know. Did Zimmerman pull it out as the fight broke out? Don't know. Did Zimmerman have to pull it out in fear for his life? Don't know.

I don't know a ton about gun laws, but do we know if Zimmerman had a carry/conceal permit? Is that separate from a "regular" gun permit?

Regardless, as I said previously, he followed Martin with a loaded gun. No violence would've occurred had Zimmerman not pursued him, therefore, Zimmerman provoked the violence and used deadly force. And as I said, if that is currently a loophole in Florida/federal laws, then this case needs to set a precedent.

This sort of ignorant generalizations got an innocent man accused of bombing the Atlanta Olympics...just because he looked like Paul Blart and lived with his mom and psychologists were all about profiling.

YOU are against profiling...wait what about all those other threads.

YOU are against profiling...wait what about all those other threads.

What other threads.

As for the gun thing...no clue on whether Zimmerman has a CCW permit or not. Doubtful if he'd had prior violence convictions.

Go read my grocery store example and see if you come to the same conclusion.

Security, whether in a mall, gated community, hospital, etc, does have the authority to follow a suspicious person. Now he should have backed off once the dispatcher told him to...that's no crime either though. I'm not sure if anyone will ever know, other than Zimmerman, who started a confrontation and who the aggressor was. The kid didn't deserve to die but I don't think he knew he was just a kid. If the kid started the fight and was getting the upper hand on him, then I get why he shot him. If Zimmerman started the fight, if there was one, then he had no right to use a gun. A whole lot of "ifs" with no good outcome for anyone involved.

I don' think Zimmerman was security per say. He was neighborhood watch, and I think that just means he is suppose to report suspicious activity. But I wonder why a neighborhood watch would need to carry guns. I would think a radio or cellphone would be the only thing required.

That being said, I don't think there is much chance of him being convicted of murder. He might get a lesser conviction.

However, it does seem that the family might have grounds for one heck of a lawsuit.

I don' think Zimmerman was security per say. He was neighborhood watch, and I think that just means he is suppose to report suspicious activity. But I wonder why a neighborhood watch would need to carry guns. I would think a radio or cellphone would be the only thing required.

That being said, I don't think there is much chance of him being convicted of murder. He might get a lesser conviction.

However, it does seem that the family might have grounds for one heck of a lawsuit.

Yep...there's a civil case for sure.

A lot of you jokers would convict Batman.

Do you think if Zimmerman was planning on killing this kid, would he really call 911 right before he did it and recorded the whole thing on the phone? It shows Zimmerman had no intention of killing Martin. Something went wrong during their conversation. Zimmerman remained on the line with a police the whole time.

I don't know a ton about gun laws, but do we know if Zimmerman had a carry/conceal permit? Is that separate from a "regular" gun permit?

Regardless, as I said previously, he followed Martin with a loaded gun. No violence would've occurred had Zimmerman not pursued him, therefore, Zimmerman provoked the violence and used deadly force. And as I said, if that is currently a loophole in Florida/federal laws, then this case needs to set a precedent.

yes, it has been reported that Zimmerman had a conceal/carry permit for the gun.

I would imagine that he was carrying the gun for the same reason that many Americas carry a concealed weapon...for their own protection.

I guarantee you that the family will file a civil suit....and it is very likely that they would win. The burden of proof is substantially less in a civil suit. All they have to prove is that Zimmerman's actions lead to the death of Martin...not that he was guilty of a crime.

According to the law, following someone is not provoking the violence. We do not know what happened when the two came fase to face. Zimmerman could have very well provoked the altercation....just as Martin could have very well provoked the altercation. The act of following him was not the act of provocation.

yes, it has been reported that Zimmerman had a conceal/carry permit for the gun.

Then this may open a whole new can of worms considering the reports that he has at least three violent charges on his record.