Source: Rb Mike Tolbert Visiting Carolina Panthers This Weekend

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#61 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,307 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hence why I didn't say snaps, just pointing out the rushing difference, since that's a running backs main job.

Not in this scheme. Pass protection and receiving ability was a major part of job this year. Snap count supports that.

#62 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,926 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Backup? Deangelo started every game last season and scored more touchdowns than the "better back."

#63 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

He's not playing backup, he's playing his roll. We passed more than ran last year for the first time in a long time and Stewart was the pass protection back. Quit being stupid.

one-dimensional role players shouldn't be one of the highest paid in the their position. Deangelo doesn't deserve that money.

Highway robbery using a contract as a weapon.

#64 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Not in this scheme. Pass protection and receiving ability was a major part of job this year. Snap count supports that.

Refer to my last post.

#65 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,307 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Backup? Deangelo started every game last season and scored more touchdowns than the "better back."

Stewart and his read option work also aided Cam in setting NFL records on the ground. Goes back to why Chud thought Stewart was better....he saw the field more for a variety of reasons. It ain't just about an individuals stats.

#66 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Williams contract is very constricting. But I don't think he is unmovable. The reason why is the boat load of money coming into the league next year and increasing the cap by a lot. There will also be a cap floor again next year. Take a team like the Bengals who have over $40 million in cap space this year and have only signed one player. They could be willing to trade for Williams and start the process of having to spend all of that cap space this year on a player that has at least proven he still produces after signing his first FA contract.

This isnt the most likely situation but not impossible. There is also the possibility that Tolbert would be 1C a la the Giants "earth wind and fire" a couple years back. Those three were all on rookie deals but as the league continues to get more and more pass happy the focus is going to more and more on stopping the pass. If defenses are built to stop the pass having Williams Stewart and Tolbert could create mismatches that could dominate games.

#67 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

If we lose Stew I might cry..

this. they won't even be manly tears either. They would be full-on crying in the shower in the middle of the night tears.

He's my favorite player on the team. To think he's only worth a couple of draft picks to my team is going to be tough to swallow.

#68 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,926 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Stewart and his read option work also aided Cam in setting NFL records on the ground. Goes back to why Chud thought Stewart was better....he saw the field more for a variety of reasons

The read option worked better with Deangelo.

#69 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

what does voting down a post do? I wanna test it out.

#70 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

People are trying too hard to prove their point in defense of their guy. Neither Stewart nor Williams are measurably better than the other, they are both elite, quality backs that don't get their just due because they split carries. D-Will has been a very solid receiver in the past and is not a bad blocker, he's just not big enough to manhandle guys like Stewart can, as a result he is more of a cut blocker. Whereas Stew showed last year he is also a very good receiver, but is bigger and stronger, so does more head on blocking, and to be fair, he did get blasted back or whiff a few times on blocking attempts...but not enough for anyone to say he is a bad blocker.

Point is they are both very good backs that have different strengths and weaknesses, but are probably on even ground as far as the level of RB they are. Supporting your guy is one thing, but this petty knocking of the other one is ridiculous.

#71 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,662 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Stewart and his read option work also aided Cam in setting NFL records on the ground. Goes back to why Chud thought Stewart was better....he saw the field more for a variety of reasons

Williams ran more read options, and ran it better, than Stewart. Saint Patty's day is putting a hurting on you huh?

#72 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

this. they won't even be manly tears either. They would be full-on crying in the shower in the middle of the night tears.

He's my favorite player on the team. To think he's only worth a couple of draft picks to my team is going to be tough to swallow.

a couple of draft picks= potential. I like Stewart too but we wont be able to resign him next year so why not trade him now?

#73 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,307 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

DeAngelo was NOT running the read option with Cam. He ran the pitch option with him....and with Stewart in the field. Difference.

#74 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,060 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

a couple of draft picks= potential. I like Stewart too but we wont be able to resign him next year so why not trade him now?

Stewart still has potential. I don't understand your point.

Re-signing him is not impossible, nor does anyone believe that.

#75 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,460 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Trade Stewart get stuck with a near 30 year old RB, and a RB who has half the production of Stewart. Jesus we're fuged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com