Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers Agree With Tolbert On 4 Year Deal

422 posts in this topic

Posted

our pass game was most effective last season at the beginning of the year when teams fully expected us to run, then Cam proved he can pass like a champ and wala- the run game opened up!

Posted

Trading J-stew would be hard to do imo, the market for RB's is scarce. We'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder.

Posted

one thing to consider for all you "didn't the panthers get the memo that this is a passing league" people...

most teams are building defenses around that concept that this is a passing league. most of their energies are going towards trying to stop that. fine. what happens with that, though, is that they become weaker against a power running game.

i expect this run game to be relentless and something that teams will have to work hard to prepare for to defend against. also, with a deep passing game such as the one we have, this makes them really spread their defenses thin. who are they going to concentrate on? cam's deep ball to smith or gettis? or are they going to try and stack the box against cam and 2 or 3 other ball carriers on the field at the same time...and then we have lafell, olsen, barnidge/shockey....seriously this offense is getting ready to become an even bigger nightmare.

i think we do add another WR at some point, probably through the draft but considering how talented and deep this class is we should be able to get a quality one without giving up too much.

Still doesn't change the fact rules are designed to make passing easier. Doesn't change the fact we should be investing in stopping opposing pass attacks.....and we still aren't.

If you stack the box to defend the run in heavy run formations....it plays against Cam's unique mismatch appeal and forces him to be more accurate. Goes back to putting a lot of pressure on the receivers not named Smitty to produce.

Carolina ran very efficiently when teams played the pass later in the year.....so really, the pass setup efficient running.

Posted

Trading J-stew would be hard to do imo, the market for RB's is scarce. We'd be lucky to get a 2nd rounder.

i wonder where he would rank amongst other rookie rb's in this draft - would teams have richardson more valuable or anyone else? i dont think we entertain too many trade options with Stewart this year, I think we plan on having him contribute big time this year. Right now, next year is next year.

Posted

surprised no one has speculated Stewart reuniting with Fox for The Golden Calf of Bristol as Cam's backup

Posted

Why do people think Williams will restructure? That means we shift some of his 2013 money onto 2014 and 2015. His salary bonus costs us 3.2 million every year which won't change. So next year if he converted some of his 4.75 salary to a signing bonus then he would still cost us 5 or 6 million next year instead of 7.75 million but his signing bonus money would be over 4 million and his cap hit for 2014 and 2015 would exceed 10 million. If you say then we would cut him, he would cost 10 million in dead cap space to cut which even as a June 1 cut would cost us 5 million for 2 years of dead space. Would you restructure for a signing bonus of 3 million if it virtually assured you would be cut the following year? Even if he agreed to lower his salary in 2014 or 2015 his 3.2 million in signing bonus cap every year would continue.

If we trade him the signing cap money escalates which this year is 14.6 million (9.6 cap and 5 million guaranteed), next year is 9.6 million, in 2014 it is 6.4 million and in 2015 will be 3.2 million.

1 person likes this

Posted

People need to calm down with all this "trading Stew or D. Will" talk. Its NOT going to happen. Remember when the Panthers took J. Stew in the first round once D. Will got named starter? Everyone was freaking out thinking DeAngelo was gone but no one could have predicted that our running game was going to be the best in the NFL that following season. People also fail to realize that this team had 3 rushers last season. D.Will, J.Stew and CAM! Having Tolbert just adds more insurance in case any one of the Double Trouble goes down, and keeps Cam from having to take all those unnecessary hits. Plus, having a FB is awesome for a running game. RB have their best seasons when they have a FB blocking for them. So everyone needs to calm down, sit back and watch the show our offense is going to put on this coming season. I can't wait to watch firsthand the Panthers v. Chargers game this season. It's gonna be epic!

Posted

whew .. I feel better .. don't expect Stewart trade!

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/

Posted

hum, not sure about this. I'll have to see how it plays out.

Posted

Joe Person @josephperson

What does Mike Tolbert signing mean for CAR 'Double Trouble' backfield? Sources don't expect Jonathan Stewart trade.

Can we shut up now?

Posted

People need to calm down with all this "trading Stew or D. Will" talk. Its NOT going to happen. Remember when the Panthers took J. Stew in the first round once D. Will got named starter? Everyone was freaking out thinking DeAngelo was gone but no one could have predicted that our running game was going to be the best in the NFL that following season. People also fail to realize that this team had 3 rushers last season. D.Will, J.Stew and CAM! Having Tolbert just adds more insurance in case any one of the Double Trouble goes down, and keeps Cam from having to take all those unnecessary hits. Plus, having a FB is awesome for a running game. RB have their best seasons when they have a FB blocking for them. So everyone needs to calm down, sit back and watch the show our offense is going to put on this coming season. I can't wait to watch firsthand the Panthers v. Chargers game this season. It's gonna be epic!

1 person likes this

Posted

Joe Person@josephperson

What does Mike Tolbert signing mean for CAR 'Double Trouble' backfield? Sources don't expect Jonathan Stewart trade.

Can we shut up now?

don't expect means they aren't doing it for anything less than a second or first rounder, which isn't happening