Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Herbert The Love Bug

Major Bobcats Announcement Coming Soon?

274 posts in this topic

Of course I live in Meck County. Do YOU live in Meck County? Did you attend Hornets game in the 80s? I did.

2 masters...? Allah and God are the same thing...........................

A person's name is their identity. You wouldn't like it if for 14 years everyone called you David, then everyone started calling you Teddy and expected you to embrace it. That's what happened with our Hornets name. Charlotte earned that name in the 1700s during the American Revolution and Shinn took it to New Orleans in 2002, and now we're being called the Teddycats...er... the Bobcats. We've lost our history, our identity, and if there is a chance to get it back we should. Maybe this video will help...

Hornets Nest Park remains, Hornets Nest Elementary remains. The memory of the Hornets Nest rebellion did not go to New Orleans. Its just a basketball team. Salt Lake City didnt steal New Orleans Jazz culture. Its still in NO.

Mr. Touchdown where are you? Are you from Meck County?

Never question me about my city sir. I'm "Old School" Charlotte like BB Jamz and Stayin' Alive. West Fest. Spring Fest. What'cha know about City Fair? Flight 23 Shoe Store? Ever seen MJ play pickup games at the Grady Cole Center in the 80s? Gus The Bus? Fool I AM CHARLOTTE.

1 person likes this

King Taharqa,

I could not disagree with you more, man. But, I also could not be more intrigued by wanting to know who you are and what made you get to these views you currently believe about the Bobcats...

I was born in Charlotte in '87 and have lived here my whole life except for college, and I can honestly say that of all the Charlotteans I have ever come across, I have never heard anyone who even remotely believes that the current Bobcats are a viable product. You come off as a guy who just follows with blind loyalty, someone who believes things are out of his control, and therefor it's easier to be a sheep than to fight. And if someone has a different view than you?...Well you call them a hater and someone who is not loyal to their city...

Dude! America was formed on freedom of speech and the ability for everyone to have an opinion. Options and opinions in life are meant to be weighed with pros and cons, and are meant to be done so in a communal atmosphere where people are open to ideas other than their own if it means achieving a greater good for something they love.

Hypothetically, if the Hornets name and colors came back and could restore some cultural pride and NBA history to our city in, say, 10 years...would you take that? Or are you just completely sold on the Bobcats and refuse to ever "consider" what COULD be better for your city, better for the franchise, better for the NBA etc...

2 people like this

Charlotte doesnt need the Hornets. Do you guys even keep up with how theyre doing now? They got their ass beat last night by the Clipps. Do you guys realize if you wanted to you could buy the Hornets right now because no one else will? Did you know the franchise is settled in debt and is ranked 26 out of 30? The way some of you guys talk its as if we change to the Hornets Muggsy is gonna walk thru that door. Like Kenny Gattison is gonna walk thru that door. Like Grandmama is gonna walk thru that door. They arent. Only you guys think the Hornets are "special", the rest of us know them and their history aint poo. Nobody cares that the Hive sold out when Daddy Bush was President. Thats ancient history. Walking round Charlotte discussing sports, Hornets Name change NEVER comes up. Its never "hey did you see Kobe last night? How bout them Hornets? Man if we could just get that name and fruity color scheme back theyd talk about us more than the Heat!" Never! Nobody is trippin off identity changes except a few people on the net. The movement is nowhere near grandscale. Ask John Morgan can he raise millions for his cause? Hell no. He has to beg the Bobs to change, and they wont. You guys need hard truth and tough love because you are our NBA markets weak links. You let the Charlotte Observer and Tom Sorenson fluff pieces gas you up to thinking the Hornets have a right to be here. He uses you for webhits and newspaper sales.

The time you're waisting on the Hornets you could be learning our founders story and the path he went to becoming an owner. You could be giving ideas to improve the culture we have. You could be demanding our newspaper give better coverage to our bball team instead of college teams that play 2 1/2 hours away. But that would take a certain level of understanding and pridevin your city and the people that you guys just dont have.

Bobcats fans go to and congregate at TWC Arena

Charlotte Hornets loyalists go to and congregate at....? An empty lot on Tyvola Rd? Eastland Mall parking lot? In a Microtel Inn conference room? LMAO

You guys have no home, no money behind your movement, no leverage with the Bobs because you've alienated yourself from them trashing them and our founder for 8 years. You do have a few Charlotte Observer writers who are close personal friends of the Shinn family. You do have some retro snapback hats that are hot NOW, but will probably be played out in a year or so. Its a lost cause, but I admire the passion behind it.

Sigh. Dissecting your points doesn't work, offering logic as an alternative to your delusional grandstanding/message board bullying tactics doesn't work, so let's try a question: why do you seem to be the only person who feels as strongly as you do on your side of this issue, King? Why, when WFNZ posted a poll in regards to the change, did 90% of respondents support our initiative? Are 90% of this area's sports fans "sellouts" who "don't understand" the situation and "don't deserve" this team? Do 90% of us lack "pride in (our) city"? Be honest, is that really how you feel?

I was at the arena purchasing another 6 tickets for Friday's game yesterday. The guy in the box office noticed my shirt, and couldn't stop gushing about how much he supported our initiative. As I walked to my car, a couple scalpers said the same thing to me. It literally happens every time I leave the house in my teal and purple. As much as you might want to pretend it is, this little thing isn't isolated to a couple dozen mouth-breathers clicking away in their mamas' basements. I'm not saying we're going to ultimately get what we want, but that's not what's most important in the grand scheme of things. What's important is that a whole bunch of people feel a certain way, and we're doing our level best to make our opinions known. We feel like our proposal is the best thing for the city, for the team, and for the NBA at large, so we're pursuing every possible angle. We could spend our time pissing and moaning about things, or lobbing insults at people we don't agree with, but instead, we're buying tickets and having a party.

You can wallow in the negativity all you want. As for me, I'm gonna put on my white tux and get rowdy :D

2 people like this

The NBA is a global business John. Remember that. Good luck initiating multimillion dollar changes (that affect much more than Charlotte) on a grassroots level. If so many people are behind you, why cant you raise millions? Bob did. Until the Hornets loyalists respect what we build, we dont respect what they let slip away.

Hornet fans didn't let the team slip away and your support for Bob Johnson seems to outweigh just simply being a part of the Charlotte community. You always stress how important Bob and the business of the NBA is...but how about just the local community? A fan that puts a former owner and corporate business prowess ahead of its community is not a fan...regardless of the fuggin name.

"grassroots" level initiatives are what makes a fan interesting and interactive in response to this big old corporate conglomerate you so easily bow to.