Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major Bobcats Announcement Coming Soon?

274 posts in this topic

Posted

The attendance didn't really start to fall till round the 1998 season when Shinn had admitted to having affairs, including with one of the team's cheerleaders. The trial was a huge embarrassment for not only Shinn, but Charlotte. 998-99, attendance fell below 20,000 for 1st in Hornets history, which was still one the best. In 2002, attendance was last in NBA largely because Shinn was activity looking to move and would be last season in Charlotte.

Shinn gave up on Charlotte, thats why Hornets not here now. I give lot respect to Bob Johnson for selling Bobcats and trying move them too, something wish Shinn would had done.

Posted

Diddy a marquee player will help this franchise more than becoming a re-hashed watered ddown Hornets. Since they got their namr back, how have the Cleveland Browns fared? How bout the REAL Browns, the Ravens? Which has been better? A copy of a wack franchise wont make you great.

I no doubt agree about a marquee player, but IMO, not getting one to this point has also been due to mismanagement that has plagued the franchise so far. Other franchises have missed as well, but the infamous Felton/May draft picks over a trade up for Paul for instance. Morrison over Roy. The list goes on...

Winning is the greatest deodorant. You bring up some great points, but I honestly believe re-branding is a worthwhile investment, especially now that we've blown it up and are moving forward with young promising guys like Kemba and Smack. MJ wouldn't have looked into it before had it not been worth looking into, I just don't think he was ready to go further in the red after spending what he did to get the franchise as it was already losing money. I get that, but even he mentioned the attendance records the Hornets set and how this market was a legit pro basketball market.

So, I'm guessing if the Hornets happened to move to Seattle and became the Sonics again, MJ would look into re-branding to the Hornets on his own.

I think re-branding while we're climbing out of the basement is a great time to capitalize on it and get the most out of it. If we remain the Bobcats, that's fine too, I just think it would be worthy of looking into and considering if it benefits our team.

Posted

364 straight sellouts far better then mediocre

Posted

I remember watching Charles Barkley on Inside The NBA clowning the city of Charlotte and their fans as disloyal in 01 when there was no one at our playoff games. His exact words "even if you're upset with the owner, you sttill gotta support the team". Quite frankly that show of disloyalty and fickleness set our sports scene back a decade. And not going to the games didnt force Shinn to sell or keep the team here, so what was proven? Charlotte sports fans can be their own worst enemy. Other markets have horrible pwnership, but that doesnt stop them from going to the games.

Posted

I think in a major way it comes down to the sports fever in general within the city and its true across the board. Cam can possibly bring us out of the whole wine and cheese hell football wise and on the basketball side of things, we have a rather transient affection for the pro-sport itself within the metro. For a lot of demographics, college sports simply dominate the basketball side of things.

The funcats need to figure out how to appeal to the older and younger people along with the lifers and transplants. If they can learn to market toward to both sides *cough* but winning first and foremost* then it can completely turn around. Rebranding basically adds a trampoline effect in with a refresh button.

Posted

That doesnt explain the lackluster playoff attendance the year before. I actually live in Charlotte. Nobody locally cared about the Hornets then. People were literally giving tickets away.

Ugh, bro, I got news for you. They are giving Bobcats tickets away now. I've turned down free bobcat tix at least three times this year. Like I said earlier, my girlfriend is a teacher at CMS, and occassionally they have like a CMS night or some sh1t and we can get tickets for around $7. Passed everytime. 100 things better to do in this city than watch a professional AAU team get their brains kicked in.

I also had floor level seats to the lakers 2 years ago and gave them to some guys I worked with. All their pictures from the game were of Ric Flair, not the bobcats.

Posted

But you know the Hornets were successful. You also know why they became unsuccessful. That negates the argument as to there being more people at the Cats lone playoff appearance versus the Hornets last playoffs in Charlotte.

In all seriousness, if you love the team, why would you be so against something that could make it even better? As I said, what if another name would give us an advantage in sales/marketing? It doesn't have to be Hornets, but there is a good number of people who specifically want that name, and for good reason.

If it is beneficial to our team, then what is wrong with it or supporting the possibility?

I don't want to lose our team. I want our team to be successful and respected, which it hasn't been at anytime in its existence.

this is a good post.

I can promise you that if the named was changed back to the Hornets, attendance would double.

Posted

New Orleans will soon be done with the "Hornets" one way or another so never say never. I think they said the re-branding would be somewhere in the 6mill range.

All I can say is that if Jordan did get the naming rights back for Charlotte he would be more than a super star in this area. By doing that he would be elevated to folk hero status.

Posted

MJ will be gone from Charlotte before the Bobs will.

Posted

I can promise you that if the named was changed back to the Hornets, attendance would double.

Yes because its doing wonders for New Orleans. lol

Posted

Bobs have better attendance than Hornets...

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

i bring facts, hornets nostalgists bring emotional speculation. Bobcats believe in hard work, reaching out to the community financially, and the new uptown charlotte. Hornets nostalgists believe in handouts

(they wont raise a dime to pay for anything they feel they are owed. lol), Billy Graham Parkway, revising history, and fruity color schemes.

Posted

You are missing the point.