#136 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,232 posts
  • LocationRichardson's toilet

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

But unfortunately for you Bob was born, and he did put up the money to pay the expansion fee for us to get our Bobcats franchise. He did come up with the Bobcats logo and scheme, organization, etc, thus he is the FOUNDER of our NBA team. He did oversee the team its first 5 years of existence. He did bring Jordan into the fold and ultimately sold him the team. You guys can allow your bitterness to hold you and keep romanticizing the Hornets, the rest of us are living in 2012 supporting our Cats.

And then he bailed on the bobcats because he hated them.

#137 Fade2BlackAndBlue

Fade2BlackAndBlue

ICE UP SON

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationStanley NC

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Guess my manager is a liar. Whatever. Screw it. Lock thread. Who cares anyways

So your manager was lying?

#138 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• ALL-PRO
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Posted Image

This pretty much sums up me reading this thread

#139 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• ALL-PRO
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

No. It's not happening.

Good, although the Bobcat have been a terrible fail for most of their existence, i'm still holding out hope that we can somewhat become at least a midtier team that occasionally sees some success. Being this bad now is just ....insufferable.

In Biyombo I trust :cam:

#140 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

anyone speculating that we could be contracted?

No way the NBA allows a team to be contracted (at least while David Stern is running things). Hell, New Orleans hasnt had an owner for like 6 months or something and yet the NBA wont even allow it to be sold cheaply because it would hurt the league's image. Contracting a team makes the NBA look weak as a whole even if you could argue that it could help

#141 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

MJ is doing great in my opinion. I've been to games before MJ and after. I've seen a 100% turn around in general atmosphere, from the Lady Cats to the party vibe going on in the arena regardless of the f***kary on the floor.
MJ really deserves our support. He is an NC guy and our most famous.

He deserves this chance. He even loved the Hornets enough to try and buy the team from Shinn. If there was a name change MJ would be the perfect person to do it. For him it would be a win win.

#142 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,014 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Me thinks the release of Diaw was the announcement

#143 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Mj is doing great locally because his "celebrity" is more likeable and tolerable to Charlotte. As for the product on the floor, hes done nothing. Mj regularly gets ripped NATIONALLY as an owner. Wins and losses, we had more Ws when Bob was here, and more talent. MJ has yet to open his wallet and is turning TWC Arena into a glamorized Jumpman Outlet rather a place where competitive bball is,played. Our fans nationally could care less about "the politics of Charlotte", they only care about the product on the floor.

#144 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

The ONLY reason the "national" media talks about the Bobcats is MJ. Any publicity is good publicity at this point. They would find a way to rip him regardless.

He just became the owner and was smart enough to hire Cho so I'll give him a pass for now. Our next couple moves with Cho may be the beginning of a lasting turnaround.

#145 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

Me thinks the release of Diaw was the announcement

Well that's no big announcement at all. Cats would win more games if they released everyone and hired the Harlem Globetrotters.

#146 PiratePanther189

PiratePanther189

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

For those who are posting in this thread who don't quite know or understand what the Hornets meant to this city whether it's because they didn't live here or because they are too young, I have a few things to say about what that team meant to Charlotte.

This team LED THE NBA IN ATTENDANCE FOR NINE STRAIGHT SEASONS.

As others have said, LJ and Zo were legitimate NBA superstars. Larry Johnson was a Dwayne Wade-type star who was only known by those who knew about basketball, but he was a top 5 or top 10 figure in the NBA during his time in Charlotte. Zo was an up and coming name and didn't necessarily reach his elite level untill he was in Miami, but he was the 1st pick in the draft, and everyone knew and recognized him. Muggsy Bouges, Bobby Phills, Vlade Divac, and of course, Charlotte's last superstar, Baron Davis, were other well known superstars that played for the Hornets.

Charlotte was a team that consistently made the playoffs in the 90s and was incredibly well supported and loved by this city. The atmosphere and the signiature things that happened at the Hive (Buzzing, Hugo, Noises after players scored, chants, etc.) were things that the Bobcats never even tried to recreate. The Bobcats have never given Charlotte a reason to go, the atmosphere at TWC Arena is just so boring compared to what the old Coliseum gave.

Watch this video, and if you're like me and were a young guy in his 20s who was die hard in the Hornet's heyday, it'll bring a tear to your eye if you haven't already seen it:

My point for writing this long ass post is that if the Bobcats can do something like change the name and make this team refreshing and fun, THE PEOPLE WILL COME. They did it for years. I'm not saying it has to be the Hornets, but this city did and could love the NBA.

#147 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

The Bobcats had no problem selling out games and the playoffs in 2010. A name change wont do anything. Hold on to those memories of the Hive, cuz theyll never play in Charlotte again ever
20 years from now we can reminisce on attendance yecords, hearing "who let the dogs out" 50 million times, and 1st round exits, while the Bobs represent us NOW and BEYOND. these kids today never saw thre Hornets play and could care less.

#148 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Would love to go back to the Hornets name.

#149 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

They need to change the name just because it's named after Bob.

#150 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

Man, I remember when they hung Bobby Phills jersey......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users