273 replies to this topic

#196 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

There aren't 10 people in this entire world who would care for more than a nanosecond if the Bobcats moniker went away.

#197 John Morgan

John Morgan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Also, if anybody's interested, I thought I'd post the logo we've come up with for our little initiative. We'll have a limited run of t-shirts available at the 'Swarm Time Warner' pregame party Friday (3/30) at 5:30 at Fitzgerald's (as well as a free keg!). Swing by if you're headed to the game; we'd love to have ya!!!

Attached Files

#198 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,272 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Nothing Bob did here compares to going on trial for rape and forcibly moving a sports franchise from our city. And yet folks like yourself still romanticize and hold allegiance to that man's business. Bob used to get all the blame for the arena, he deserves all the credit for its prosperity. He did far more good here than bad, but its that same "hillbilly" spirit as you call it that denies him that. Its OK though, Charlotte is known for that. Thats nothing new, and the people who matter know the real and support our founder and his vision.

I don't think Bob Johnson is a "bad person", but his business decisions here were questionable to say the least. He got off on the wrong foot here from the start. Charging CMS a fee to have graduation ceremonies in a public arena that was paid for by the county tax payers was one of the dumbest PR moves ever made. Charlotte is jaded as it regarding the NBA and he should of known better. Johnson did bring a pro franchise to Charlotte, and I'll give him credit for that, but I'd bet the NBA feels foolish for not making the correct decision to award it to Larry Bird and his backers.

Shinn, on the other hand, is an asshole and shitty businessperson. Right before the NBA took over the Hornets, he went on record saying that it was a mistake to move the team.

And your last sentence gave me a good chuckle, so I appreciate that. When you find out what the "vision" was be sure to let everyone know. The Jordan buzz from acquiring the team has quickly faded and it's hard to envision the bobcats getting better anytime soon.

I personally despise the bobcats and hopefully they will get screwed in the lottery and miss out on Anthony Davis.

#199 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,272 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Nobody wanted a "Cleveland deal" at the time because nobody cared about the Hornets in Charlotte the early 2000s. The new love affair with the Hornets didnt begin until it was announced who our new owner would be a few years later. It's nothing more than a local reaction to our founder. Until that point, there was no mention or push for the Hornets to remain in Charlotte. Ask John Morgan and the others where they were in 2002 and 2003? Where was their concern then? They had none. And in basketball years, 10 years is a looooooong time. There are many transplants, children, new fans, etc that have arrived in Charlotte since then, that have no ties or memories of the Hornets even playing here. They played in a totally different arena in a different side of town in the middle of nowhere near our airport. They were never a part of the new uptown Charlotte revitalization movement that is currently happening. The Bobcats have and will be remembered as a part of that growth and these times, not the Hornets. They represent the "old charlotte". The "new Charlotte" includes the Bobcats and TWC Arena, the Nascar HOF, the Epicentre, new AA Cultural Center, Levine Museum, etc. The Bobcats and TWC Arena have helped spearhead that growth that "Hornets nostalgists" take for granted and wont appreciate til its gone like their beloved Hornets.

I'll agree with you regarding the love affair with the Hornets did take a tremendous hit a year or two before the move. I believe that was in direct correlation with the hate for George Shinn.

What you fail to see is that the Hornets still had better attendance after the move was announced than the bobcats have now.

The city does not support the Bobcats and frankly never will. My kids won't be bobcats fans.

#200 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

We dont need you or your kids support. Were doing just fine without it. You guys dont deserve to be Cats fans anyway. "Hornets nostalgists" should find another local boy like Shinn and start a new team. It says alot thats the best they have to offer. Lol. I guess theres no one else in this area as rich and savvy as him to own our team. Nobody from this area could save the Hornets or outbid Bob. We need outsiders to come in and save us.

#201 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Carolina Husker, there werent 10 people who cared about the Hive bein blown up. All the history there is lost. Charlotte Sting played in TWC Arena, but the Hornets never will

#202 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,272 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

We dont need you or your kids support. Were doing just fine without it. You guys dont deserve to be Cats fans anyway. "Hornets nostalgists" should find another local boy like Shinn and start a new team. It says alot thats the best they have to offer. Lol. I guess theres no one else in this area as rich and savvy as him to own our team. Nobody from this area could save the Hornets or outbid Bob. We need outsiders to come in and save us.

KT you are delusional. bobcats need all the support that they can get. They are one of the most irrelevant teams in all of American pro sports. The bobcats are only useful in providing highlight reels for other teams on ESPN.

You also are incorrect on "nobody from this area could save the Hornets or outbid Bob." ....I'm sure there were local grassroots movements to keep the hornets around when they were facing relocation, but the city held a public forum along with a vote on building a new arena. Shinn stated that he needed a new arena or there was a great possibility the team would leave. The vote was held and the citizens spoke loud and clearly. The vote wasn't close and the Hornets left soon after.

BS aside, do you live in mecklenburg county? (that's the county Charlotte is in)

#203 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

The Bobs need a star player more than they need a casual fanbase that thinks the Hornets are the end all be all. Ever since this forum opened people have been insisting the Bobs need them. No they dont. Whether you go to the games or not the show will go on. If you dont want to ride with Charlotte's team so be it. Our lease ends in the 2020's, 1 less Hornets loyalists wont kill us. The Hornets nostalgists are like people who come to Sunday Service and stand up in front of the congreagation and yell "praise Allah!" It dont work like that people. You cant serve 2 masters. This is Bobcat Country now.

#204 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,272 posts
  • Location704

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Comparing the bobcats to church now, eh? Keep the incoherent ramblings coming bro!

KT, do you live in Meck. county?

since you evaded the question I'm going to take that as a "no"...

#205 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Of course I live in Meck County. Do YOU live in Meck County? Did you attend Hornets game in the 80s? I did.

#206 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

2 masters...? Allah and God are the same thing...........................

#207 pplcallmeblue

pplcallmeblue

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

A person's name is their identity. You wouldn't like it if for 14 years everyone called you David, then everyone started calling you Teddy and expected you to embrace it. That's what happened with our Hornets name. Charlotte earned that name in the 1700s during the American Revolution and Shinn took it to New Orleans in 2002, and now we're being called the Teddycats...er... the Bobcats. We've lost our history, our identity, and if there is a chance to get it back we should. Maybe this video will help...

#208 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hornets Nest Park remains, Hornets Nest Elementary remains. The memory of the Hornets Nest rebellion did not go to New Orleans. Its just a basketball team. Salt Lake City didnt steal New Orleans Jazz culture. Its still in NO.

#209 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Mr. Touchdown where are you? Are you from Meck County?

Never question me about my city sir. I'm "Old School" Charlotte like BB Jamz and Stayin' Alive. West Fest. Spring Fest. What'cha know about City Fair? Flight 23 Shoe Store? Ever seen MJ play pickup games at the Grady Cole Center in the 80s? Gus The Bus? Fool I AM CHARLOTTE.

#210 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,679 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users