• This topic is locked This topic is locked
273 replies to this topic

#16 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

Werent there rumors of the team being renamed the charlotte flight?.....like a while ago

#17 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,976 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

I'll bet if they change it, it will be to the Cougars. I'm kind of nervous about this though, so I hope they hurry up and announce whatever it is.

#18 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

Lmao@getting Hornets name back. Like they sill dont play in the NBA. Its probably a new Bobcats logo and color scheme.

#19 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,860 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Lmao@getting Hornets name back. Like they sill dont play in the NBA. Its probably a new Bobcats logo and color scheme.

yeah, when I saw this last night, I wondered if they were going purple and teal. the hornets introduced that stupid yellow when they moved so the color schemes would technically be different.

#20 John Morgan

John Morgan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hey guys! Very interesting development here. Long time reader/first time poster...I just had to chime in.

I'm the guy that made the petition ( http://www.change.or...ise-the-hornets ) and Facebook page ( http://www.facebook....2320741?sk=wall ) in support of reclaiming our Hornets' name/colors. If you're interested in this whole thing, and you haven't already, do yourself a favor and check us out! Exciting stuff, I gotta tell ya ;)

My (sunny, chronically optimistic) perspective: Mike and the gang recognize the IMMEDIATE impact a rebrand could have on this franchise/city. Even though they can't say so publicly (because of the further damage it would do to the already tepid B**Cats brand), they would JUMP at the opportunity to reclaim the Hornets' brand. The last 2 years of NOLA league ownership have provided that opportunity.

The lease agreement proposed by the Louisiana State legislature is contingent on the New Orleans franchise announcing new ownership by June 1st. NOLA fans have been clamoring for a NOLA-centric, Shinn-free, rebrand ever since the Hornets came to town. Speculation, nay, ASSUMPTION of a rebrand has been rampant among their fan base for years. The lease extension was announced Friday. We hear BigFurryKittyMan's tidbit on a Monday...

I've never been accused of being too terribly rational and sound-minded, but considering the fact that we're talking about 2 teams that share NOTHING other than this issue, that seems like it would be one heck of a coincidence to me.

Listen...the last thing we want to do is stir negativity. I'm a huge B**Cats fan...go to/watch every game since the first season. But I'm a CHARLOTTE fan first and foremost. My main concern is that if something isn't done quickly, there won't be team to cheer for in 5-10 years.

So yeah...y'all should check the page if you haven't already. We're planning to 'Swarm Time Warner' for the March 30th game against the Nuggets. We're gonna be there early, scream like maniacs for our B**Cats, all while sporting our vintage teal and purple. Free pregame keg at Fitzgerald's, and a postgame barcrawl organized by Carolina Nightlife afterwards. It's gonna be a blast, and we'd love to have anybody who's interested! All the details are on the Facebook page.

Whew. Sorry for the novel. Not trying to stir the pot, I just feel like the time for a change is now. The new blood we have...a top-notch draft pick...then that BEE-UTIFUL teal and purple bug...it's almost too much to take :D

#21 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,895 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hornets name would bring back more excitement than the Cougars but I would be happy with either one.

#22 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

We gon be the Hornets again.

So instead of being a shitty team named the Bobcats....we will be a shitty team named the Hornets.

How about actually bringing in some talent and having a competetive team.

All of this "buzz" about a name change is just a poor attempt by the Bobcats to DO ANYTHING to increase interest in one of the worst teams in the history of the NBA.

#23 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

a name change really is the worst idea I've ever heard

#24 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

So instead of being a shitty team named the Bobcats....we will be a shitty team named the Hornets.

How about actually bringing in some talent and havign a competetive team.

Basically. Name change is and always has been a overblown LOCAL issue. Nationally and globally Hornets mean jack and we wont get respect til we start winning. 6 years ago it was "screw the NBA, screw the Hornets, screw the Cats..we never wanted the arena and evil militant carpetbagger Bob built it anyway!" Now in 2012 its "thanks for the arena and all the growth and money that comes with it. Thanks for all your time and hard work the last 8 years, thanks for the hot sexy cheerleaders, but, but I want the Hornets back! Hornets deserve this not those Cats! Purple and teal will make it 1993 again!"

#25 Lomez

Lomez

Simple 'N Plain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Let's just hope it turns out better than when the Panthers tease a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT!

Should be very interesting to watch this unfold.

#26 BountyHunter

BountyHunter

I'm not a Saint

• ALL-PRO
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Renaming the team back to the Hornets would be fine with me. But PLEASE DO NOT bring back the teal and purple. I'm 57 years old and i think that color is SOOOO outdated. Gold and black with another accent color would be much better IMHO>

#27 x djdrew x

x djdrew x

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

i agree with bountyhunter....would prefer a modern take on the hornets rather than the outdated color scheme that they have always had.

Hell, I think the Bobcats color scheme is better and I am not a fan of it either.

#28 Black

Black

Don't Make Me Get Money and Platinumize My Body

• HUDDLER
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Renaming the team back to the Hornets would be fine with me. But PLEASE DO NOT bring back the teal and purple. I'm 57 years old and i think that color is SOOOO outdated. Gold and black with another accent color would be much better IMHO>

I bleed teal and purple. Seriously, it's a condition. I have to spend eight hours on dialysis every night just to live.

#29 John Morgan

John Morgan

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

Have to disagree with y'all about the colors...take a stroll through any Foot Locker/Lids, etc. Throwback Hornets colors/gear is BY FAR the number one NBA-related merchandise in stock. Not New Orleans Hornets. Or Charlotte B**cats. CHARLOTTE HORNETS. Went on a recon mission to a mall when I was visiting Charleston last weekend. Now I doubt you'll see these numbers at the B**Cats team store, but it seems like even Mike himself knows the deal...

Attached Files

#30 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,156 posts
  • Location704

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Basically. Name change is and always has been a overblown LOCAL issue. Nationally and globally Hornets mean jack and we wont get respect til we start winning. 6 years ago it was "screw the NBA, screw the Hornets, screw the Cats..we never wanted the arena and evil militant carpetbagger Bob built it anyway!" Now in 2012 its "thanks for the arena and all the growth and money that comes with it. Thanks for all your time and hard work the last 8 years, thanks for the hot sexy cheerleaders, but, but I want the Hornets back! Hornets deserve this not those Cats! Purple and teal will make it 1993 again!"

You are wrong. No surprise though.

The Bobcats need to do EVERYTHING possible to move away from Robert Johnson. He is arguably one of the worst owners in NBA history and did a lot of things to alienate himself and the bobcats from charlotte and the community. The bobcats were a "toy" for him and his deep pockets. he didn't care about the team/city and it was quite obvious. dude didn't even live here, lol.

Charlotte supported the Hornets. They don't support and will never support the "Bobcats". What a f*cking gay ass name to begin with. The Hornets had the league record for consecutive season sell outs. When is the last time the bobcats had a sell out?

As far as the hornets brand being irrelevant nationally and internationally, you're incorrect again. The Hornets had significant marketing value and were often one of the teams playing exhibitions overseas during the early-mid 90s. LJ/Zo also had high jersey sales. I recall when we got those purple jerseys, man sh*t was crazy how fast those things sold. everyone wanted one.

A couple years ago at college I lived w/ a S.Korean exchange student for one semester. He spoke okay english but knew a lot about the NBA and especially the Charlotte Hornets. He said the most popular teams there were the Bulls, Lakers, and Charlotte Hornets.

F*cking retro Charlotte Hornets gear sells more than the bobcats stuff does now lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users