273 replies to this topic

#61 wend28

wend28

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I never lived here during the Hornets heyday, so I can't relate to the passion for the name that some people have. To me, it's just a name. When the Bobcats made their 09/10 playoff run there was an excitement about the team that this city hasn't experienced before (or really since). That's what's most important to me. I want to see them excel on the court... They could call them the Charlotte Queens for all I care if that meant they won. My buddies and I would still be in our seats.

#62 4Corners

4Corners

Deep dish combo mambo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,338 posts
  • Location704

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

as opposed to the Hornets who are doing so well with their awesome name lmao

Honestly, the name is awful for NO.

How old are you VIP?

#63 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

How old are you VIP?

#64 4Corners

4Corners

Deep dish combo mambo

• HUDDLER
  • 13,338 posts
  • Location704

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I never lived here during the Hornets heyday, so I can't relate to the passion for the name that some people have. To me, it's just a name. When the Bobcats made their 09/10 playoff run there was an excitement about the team that this city hasn't experienced before (or really since). That's what's most important to me. I want to see them excel on the court... They could call them the Charlotte Queens for all I care if that meant they won. My buddies and I would still be in our seats.

Yeah I gotta admit, I got excited for the Bobcats playoff games.

Then they made Jameer Nelson look like Magic Johnson in one of the most unwatchable playoff series in the history of the NBA.

Bobcats had a GOLDEN opportunity to grab the city by the balls and capitalize on the attention. Panthers were bad. Fans were still pissed off about the Cardinals/Jake game. Bobcats blew it, and they aren't going to have an opporunity like that now for at least a couple seasons.

I honestly feel bad for Anthony Davis who is going to rot here before leaves via trade or FA.

#65 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

My money don't support sh1t from the bobcats. haven't been to a game in over 2 years. don't see myself going anytime soon, either.

You probably live in Fayetville or Lumberton.

the gf is a teacher, and they basically give bobcats tix away to CMS employees. I took some from her because I was out of toilet paper.

Anyone who does not respect the folklore and historic reference that the Hornets have in the Charlotte area doesn't deserve to pull for the hornets. In fact, pull for the Bobcats because we don't want you to root for our beloved hornets. And like I said, they are probably from like Shelby, Lumberton, Statesville, or Fayetville. What's even a bigger joke is they commute to go watch the terrible bobcats.

The Bobcats are a laughing stock, and with fans like KT, they will only continue to be a joke.

I hope the Bobcats lose every game they compete in, and one day, hopefully, they will be dissolved from the NBA or move. I hate hockey but I'd trade the bobcats for the 'canes everyday of the week. What's really funny is I'd bet the Canes would have more sell outs here.

I've been dealing with it for a while, bro.

The bobcats are a terrible team, franchise, and organization from top to bottom. Have fun watching an 8 win team the next three years. deal with that.

Yeah I gotta admit, I got excited for the Bobcats playoff games.

Then they made Jameer Nelson look like Magic Johnson in one of the most unwatchable playoff series in the history of the NBA.

Bobcats had a GOLDEN opportunity to grab the city by the balls and capitalize on the attention. Panthers were bad. Fans were still pissed off about the Cardinals/Jake game. Bobcats blew it, and they aren't going to have an opporunity like that now for at least a couple seasons.

I honestly feel bad for Anthony Davis who is going to rot here before leaves via trade or FA.

yeah guys lets hire another recycled, washed up coach.

Heres an idea for your avatar
Posted Image

#66 donkeyd

donkeyd

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

The people who want the Hornets arent Bobcats fans, some arent even NBA fans. These folks and the Hornets have done nothing for Charlotte this millenium. NOTHING! But revise history, canonize and deify a rapist owner and his wack ass franchise that moved away. And in a spoiled brat kind of way try marginalize the Bobs contributions to our community. Purple and teal is about,as fruity and feminine a color scheme you gone get, no ones scared of gay purple bees. Dudes see a couple snapbacks at Foot Locker and think the Hornets brand is strong. LMAO. I feel sorry for the people who've pitched in to support Charlottes team the Bobcats only to be told they mean nothing and should be erased from memory to please a few entitled grandiose non-fans. MrTD even said he dont supprt the cats so why should his opinion matter? People in Charlotte who dickride a franchise in New Orleans really and truly dont love Charlotte.

Posted Image

OBTUSE.

The Charlotte Hornets gave me more pride for my home town than anything else. To see them leave was devastating. The Bobcats can never replace the feeling of pride and nostalgia. After they left Charlotte I lost interest in the NBA. I love basketball but there is no other team I enjoy pulling for (including the Bobcats). Support to bring the name back to Charlotte does not mean I want to "canonize and deify a rapist owner". I mean seriously KT? Thats the stupidest thing Ive seen written on this board. Dumber than TRD's posts.

"Purple and teal is about,as fruity and feminine a color scheme you gone get, no ones scared of gay purple bees". You were obviously never a Hornets fan.

"People in Charlotte who dickride a franchise in New Orleans really and truly dont love Charlotte." Dickride a franchise??

No better feeling then sitting at the "Hive" with my father watching the computer animated hornets fly from Cape Hatteras across NC and land in the coliseum. If the Hornets were back in Charlotte they would have my support.

#67 panthersfan085

panthersfan085

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I never lived in Charlotte, but i recall there heyday. I live in Durham NC, Hornets games would always be on TV here, Hornets represented more the Charlotte alone represented the whole state. Was easy to cheer for them even during their down and out years.

The Bobcats fail to do that so why should I support them more then i do? I wish them well, I never pull against them. But i won't commute 3 hours to attend a game when they ignore the rest of the state, rather save that money to attend more Panthers games.

For those of you claiming to be a Charlotte fan but refuse to have Hornets name back, are you going pull against them if it happens?

#68 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

i do agree with the point that its kinda sad to see a bunch of 20+ year olds who cant handle growing up and get all nostalgic over a basketball team name and want to take it away from the kids who do love the Bobcats now. get over it. if you dont support Charlotte basketball now because of a NAME, who cares what you think anyway?

#69 donkeyd

donkeyd

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

i do agree with the point that its kinda sad to see a bunch of 20+ year olds who cant handle growing up and get all nostalgic over a basketball team name and want to take it away from the kids who do love the Bobcats now. get over it. if you dont support Charlotte basketball now because of a NAME, who cares what you think anyway?

Atleast this is a reasonable argument. I got over it years ago. But, I still think that bringing the name back would be the best thing for the franchise. Well maybe winning some games would help too.

For me personally, I dont support the Bobcats because they never interested me. I moved from Charlotte about 8 years ago. I still love the Panthers and I would still love the Hornets because the memories of going to Panther and Hornets games are what ties me to my hometown. Just my $.02

#70 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 5,718 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

How old are you VIP?

I think this sums up most of the reason why people don't understand wanting the Hornets name back.

#71 cbarrier90

cbarrier90

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Bringing back the Hornets name won't improve play on the court (that will come with time,) but it signals a step away from what was, frankly, an awful era in Charlotte professional basketball history.

I'm fully aware that towards the end of their stay in the Queen City, the Hornets were not the glamorous, small market, Thunder-before-the-Thunder team of the 90s, but George Shinn was a pariah in the city and everyone wanted him out. Seeing what amounted to a "we're sorry Shinn screwed you" gift from Stern "compete" in the NBA made alot of people take a step back and remember what it was like when professional basketball in Charlotte was fun. In fairness, the Bobcats had those moments, but you can count them on one hand.

It's one thing if the market is frustrated with the poor performance of a franchise, but Charlotte is downright apathetic when it comes to the Bobcats.

I don't agree with KT's assessment, but I respect it.

#72 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Lmao@getting Hornets name back. Like they sill dont play in the NBA. Its probably a new Bobcats logo and color scheme.

All black unis?!?!?!?!

#73 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 11,398 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Bonnell shut it down pretty hard. lol id hope your boss doesnt get in trouble for this if its actually true

As I clearly stated, my boss NEVER said anything about a name change. ALL she said was that there was big news coming soon that effected the entire Bobcats organization. That is all I know. I have no freaking clue what it is about, and it likely will be dissapointing news like everything else when we get our hopes too high. That is why I said in the opening post "any idea." I was wondering if anybody knew something I didn't. MY BOSS NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT A NAME CHANGE. It just seemed odd how it was put. I have no idea what it is about. That is all I will say for now, and I will try to find out anything new that I can and keep everyone up to date with what I find out.

#74 4Corners

4Corners

Deep dish combo mambo

• HUDDLER
  • 13,338 posts
  • Location704

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Atleast this is a reasonable argument. I got over it years ago. But, I still think that bringing the name back would be the best thing for the franchise. Well maybe winning some games would help too.

For me personally, I dont support the Bobcats because they never interested me. I moved from Charlotte about 8 years ago. I still love the Panthers and I would still love the Hornets because the memories of going to Panther and Hornets games are what ties me to my hometown. Just my $.02

Agree with this post.

I rag the Bobcats because they don't interest me. And it's partially not their fault. The NBA shouldn't have let the Hornets leave. But what's done is done, and I've been over the Hornets leaving years ago, but my interest in the NBA has taken a huge hit. The NBA(when I was 12-19) was my my favorite sport bar none. Now? I'd rank it slightly above international soccer.

The Hornets were my team. When they left, it broke my heart.

My g/f is from Akron, Ohio and all of her family lives up there still. Ask them about the significance of a "name". I guarentee you the city would have a similar feel that we do if they wouldn't have got the name the Browns back. The Cleveland Hawks or some sh1t like that wouldn't have the same feel and the team would suffer (more than they already do, lol).

#75 VIP

VIP

S-Jax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

I think this sums up most of the reason why people don't understand wanting the Hornets name back.

im 23 raised in Charlotte my whole life and I think its a terrible idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users