Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In The First Round, The Panthers Select....

162 posts in this topic

Posted

for every combine warrior that failed, theres one that succeeded.

How many people considered Poe a top DT prospect before the combine?

Posted

Jerel Worthy > Poe. At least Worthy proved his worth playing in a division that wasn't complete poo.

Posted

He played on a horrible team on a horrible defense and was the only person with barely over a modicum of talent on that line. I'm not really worried about being statistically pedestrian as long as his other measurables are off the charts.

Posted

Poe scares me because I've heard several analysts say his tape doesn't come anywhere close to matching up with his combine performance. A DT with his physical talents should have dominated in the CUSA and he didn't.

Posted

Here we go again 

Posted

Using Vernon Ghoulston as a reason not to take Poe is the same type of argument people used when saying we shouldn't draft Newton last year because he was just like Jamarcus Russell, a can't miss kind of guy. Guys who don't make it in the NFL lack the mentality to be a pro player driven to be the best. If the Panthers interview him and believe he is that kind of guy, then they will draft him if they want a DT/DE. If they don't think he is driven to succeed, then they will pass. Rivera knows what he wants and can tell when a player has it or not. Didn't take him long to see Brown wasn't that guy.

1 person likes this

Posted

He played on a horrible team on a horrible defense and was the only person with barely over a modicum of talent on that line. I'm not really worried about being statistically pedestrian as long as his other measurables are off the charts.

With his strength and mesurables then he should have looked like Jesus out there on such a poo team and conference. Sadly he didn't look much better than any of his teammates.

Posted

A lot of that is because he's the only person on that line that they had to focus on.

Posted

Using Vernon Ghoulston as a reason not to take Poe is the same type of argument people used when saying we shouldn't draft Newton last year because he was just like Jamarcus Russell, a can't miss kind of guy. Guys who don't make it in the NFL lack the mentality to be a pro player driven to be the best. If the Panthers interview him and believe he is that kind of guy, then they will draft him if they want a DT/DE. If they don't think he is driven to succeed, then they will pass. Rivera knows what he wants and can tell when a player has it or not. Didn't take him long to see Brown wasn't that guy.

The point is, beware the kid who tears it up at the combine and doesn't have any game tape to back up his measurables. I'm not saying we should take Brockers or Cox, but you put either one of them on the Memphis d-line in the CUSA and they would have dominated the opposition... Poe didn't.

Posted

A lot of that is because he's the only person on that line that they had to focus on.

With his measureables he still should have flashed MUCH more then he did.

Posted

The point is, beware the kid who tears it up at the combine and doesn't have any game tape to back up his measurables. I'm not saying we should take Brockers or Cox, but you put either one of them on the Memphis d-line in the CUSA and they would have dominated the opposition... Poe didn't.

Sweet hypothetical man.

Posted

Sweet hypothetical man.

Thanks, now lets get back to the discussion about using the 9th overall pick on a DT who couldn't dominate in the CUSA.