Photo
- - - - -

In The First Round, The Panthers Select....

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#31 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

When it comes to defensive tackles it's 70% mental and 30% physical. Poe is a workout warrior, nothing more. So was Vernon Gholston and we all know what happened to him...not a single sack in TWO years....32 games....500 plays...

Basically Poe can Bench alot and look agile in the drills. Yet if he is so massively strong why is it that he was routinely pedestrian in one of the softest conferences in the game, that is the question. There are only two possible answers.

When it comes to DT it is 40% athletics, 40% technique, 20% mental and motivation. Poe has the athletic ability in spades. I think he lacks in technique and didn't always play with intensity. But if he wants to be great, he has the ability and can learn the technique. That is why we interview them.

#32 Krucid

Krucid

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Amazes me how people are so enamoured with Poe considering his lack of college production. Now I realize that doesn't mean he will be a bust or a career backup, but that's to high of a risk for us to take at 9.

#33 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

1. Claiborne
2. a) Poe b ) Brockers c) Cox
3. Kuechly
4. Barron
5. a) Ingram b ) Coples

That's how I rank them

My ranking would be similar, but:

1) Claiborne
2) Brockers, Poe, Cox
3) Coples
4) OT (or if all 4 of the above are gone AND Kalil AND Reiff/Martin aren't viewed as possible near future LTs I guess I'd be ok with Decastro..)
5) Blackmon or Floyd probably

#34 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Amazes me how people are so enamoured with Poe considering his lack of college production. Now I realize that doesn't mean he will be a bust or a career backup, but that's to high of a risk for us to take at 9.

Just be glad nobody here is the GM. ;)

No, we don't actually know anything.

#35 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,897 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Poe was impressive at the combine... so was Vernon Gholston.

#36 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,284 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

for every combine warrior that failed, theres one that succeeded.

#37 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,897 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

for every combine warrior that failed, theres one that succeeded.

How many people considered Poe a top DT prospect before the combine?

#38 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Jerel Worthy > Poe. At least Worthy proved his worth playing in a division that wasn't complete poo.

#39 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,480 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

He played on a horrible team on a horrible defense and was the only person with barely over a modicum of talent on that line. I'm not really worried about being statistically pedestrian as long as his other measurables are off the charts.

#40 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,897 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Poe scares me because I've heard several analysts say his tape doesn't come anywhere close to matching up with his combine performance. A DT with his physical talents should have dominated in the CUSA and he didn't.

#41 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Here we go again 

#42 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,459 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Using Vernon Ghoulston as a reason not to take Poe is the same type of argument people used when saying we shouldn't draft Newton last year because he was just like Jamarcus Russell, a can't miss kind of guy. Guys who don't make it in the NFL lack the mentality to be a pro player driven to be the best. If the Panthers interview him and believe he is that kind of guy, then they will draft him if they want a DT/DE. If they don't think he is driven to succeed, then they will pass. Rivera knows what he wants and can tell when a player has it or not. Didn't take him long to see Brown wasn't that guy.

#43 Krucid

Krucid

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

He played on a horrible team on a horrible defense and was the only person with barely over a modicum of talent on that line. I'm not really worried about being statistically pedestrian as long as his other measurables are off the charts.

With his strength and mesurables then he should have looked like Jesus out there on such a poo team and conference. Sadly he didn't look much better than any of his teammates.

#44 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,480 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

A lot of that is because he's the only person on that line that they had to focus on.

#45 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,897 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Using Vernon Ghoulston as a reason not to take Poe is the same type of argument people used when saying we shouldn't draft Newton last year because he was just like Jamarcus Russell, a can't miss kind of guy. Guys who don't make it in the NFL lack the mentality to be a pro player driven to be the best. If the Panthers interview him and believe he is that kind of guy, then they will draft him if they want a DT/DE. If they don't think he is driven to succeed, then they will pass. Rivera knows what he wants and can tell when a player has it or not. Didn't take him long to see Brown wasn't that guy.

The point is, beware the kid who tears it up at the combine and doesn't have any game tape to back up his measurables. I'm not saying we should take Brockers or Cox, but you put either one of them on the Memphis d-line in the CUSA and they would have dominated the opposition... Poe didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.