Photo
- - - - -

In The First Round, The Panthers Select....

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#91 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

He has played well enough not for Hurney not to draft DE in the first. The first pick is always going to be an impact player on this team. If you look at it that way then there really is only two positions CB and LB

Disagree.

Hardy is ok at DE. However, he is NOT an impact player. Adding another talented (starting) DE like Coples would provide playmaking book-ends....with guys like Hardy as rotation.

DE is an area that we could definitely look to upgrade.

#92 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,569 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm hoping we trade back.

That is my hope.To me Couples and Poe under performed their combine during the season .Some of the other picks that are safe are either OL or LB but seem like a reach at 9 .I am sure Claborne will gone.

#93 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Long before the combine, I said BPA would most likely be a lineman.

Today, BPA is still most likely to be a lineman.

Should prepare yourselves for this reality.

I won't be upset with our first round pick regardless whom it is.

Hurney doesn't miss in the first.

#94 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,891 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

BPA won't be a DT at 9

DT would be drafted off need and potential at 9

#95 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,422 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Disagree.

Hardy is ok at DE. However, he is NOT an impact player. Adding another talented (starting) DE like Coples would provide playmaking book-ends....with guys like Hardy as rotation.

DE is an area that we could definitely look to upgrade.

Hardy has improved ever year and year 3 is when the lights come on for most DEs. Coples is 2 years from making any impact and that's the good scenario with him.

#96 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

100% agree about Hardy. Love the guy but he's not an impact player. He will shine, but he's still more of a great rotational guy.

If we're picking at 9 I want someone who helps us right now, not next year , not week 12, . . . . now. I think most teams expect that out of draft picks in the top half of the first round.

Just take it easy on the negative waves guys, envision Claiborne's gonna be there. . . aaand he's gonna be there.

ohmmmmmm
ohmmmmmmm

#97 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

BPA won't be a DT at 9

DT would be drafted off need and potential at 9

I didn't say DT. I said lineman. Offensive, defensive, anywhere across the lines.

I love how confident you are of the Panthers draft board is. That is just going to set yourself up for disappointment.

#98 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,891 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

I am not confident in who they will draft.... As I said in THIS thread if Claiborne doesn't drop it is anyone's guess.

I just said DT won't be BPA at 9. They could draft one...but need and potential will be big factors in why

#99 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,570 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Potentially I love Poe...but i agree with the concerns most have(didnt dominate in the C-USA) but a DT is a weird position to assess. If he is the only good player on the team..you scheme away from him and since he is in the interior you are limited making plays on the outside.

i have not seen him play at all(So I have no real passion either way)

-Ingram is dominant and atheletic but a bit undersized and looks best as a OLB in a 3-4. Howeverthey said the same thing about Terrell Suggs....who I was wanting in his draft.

-Coples..I see a less agile Peppers when I see him but he wasnt as dominant as Peppers was...was he? He seems like he is another Hardy type guy to me..which we have..

Decastro, I would like this over Reiff as the Saints have shown..get those interior line studs elite and your QB is upright. saints have Sedrick Ellis now Bunkley up the middle...Bucs have a couple of great Ends and if healthy good DTs..Decastro is a great fit(despite draft myths..a G shouldnt go that high).

Of course all this is moot if Claiborne is avaible for some reason.. But Jenkins-Gilmore in the second if it all works out? Id be fine with Poe-Cox-Decastro-Coples in the1st and Gilmore/Jenkins in the second!

I also like the MLb out of Cal in the second..sure undersized but was fast and dominated in college...killed the combine as well..

#100 GreatPoupon

GreatPoupon

pardon me

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

here's one reason i like coples: 3 downs.

poe will play two and rest frequently. coples will play outside and rotate in on third down. then let johnson hardy coples and whoever get after the QB.

#101 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Decastro, I would like this over Reiff as the Saints have shown..get those interior line studs elite and your QB is upright. saints have Sedrick Ellis now Bunkley up the middle...Bucs have a couple of great Ends and if healthy good DTs..Decastro is a great fit(despite draft myths..a G shouldnt go that high).

what rounds did the saints draft their all pro OGs?

actually, look at those OGs who played in the pro bowl and see where they were drafted.

it's not just that you shouldn't draft an OG that high...it's that you don't need to to get a great one and/or have a great oline.

it's all about the right blocking scheme, finding the best fits for it, and line chemistry.

#102 44johnson

44johnson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

here's one reason i like coples: 3 downs.

poe will play two and rest frequently. coples will play outside and rotate in on third down. then let johnson hardy coples and whoever get after the QB.

This. Hardy is great at pass rushing but needs to sure up his run defense. Is Coples pretty good against the run?

#103 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Poe wouldn't have to come off the field on 3rd down.

he probably will as part of the rotation.
Coples would also be a part of the rotation.

#104 GreatPoupon

GreatPoupon

pardon me

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Coples is strong against the run. GT attacked him low and he got frustrated while they ran all over the heels (like GT did to many opponents). but he played hard, and worked through chips and blockers with good motor. very strong and speed to run plays down from behind. if he's there at nine, i take him.

#105 GreatPoupon

GreatPoupon

pardon me

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

you dont rush the passer with 350 pound bowls of jelly. you line up four 280 pounders than can move like the giants did this year. plus coples is 6'6"... try to three step drop that mr. brees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.