• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 CosmoGirl

CosmoGirl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

So I wasn't planning to buy a car but my passenger window got stuck down Thurs night, which impacts my roof functioning as well. I thought my warranty was til 75k miles but it was 74k, which I'm 700 miles over. They went ahead and plan to fix it under warranty anyway this time, but I know what the repairs I've had done would have cost if I'd had to pay.

Anyway, while at the dealership, I inquired about getting an aftermarket warranty and EEEKKK, redic. It would be almost six months of payments. I joked it would be a better decision to just get another car. Well...

Normally, I'd do tons of research but I'm on the cusp of the re-sale value cutoff point. I love my car and the only others I'd think I'd like are the hard-top BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. HOWEVER, those are more expensive and even then the lower-end don't have the features I want.

So, as of right now, I'm "test-driving" a 2012 VW Eos. It's silver with black interior. My current car is a 2007 Eos, black with tan interior. I LOVE black cars. They cannot get the color combo with the trim package that I want - I want black/black. They can only get the black/tan like I have.

The sticker price is $39,605. They're saying they'll give me $12k for my trade-in. Realistically, what numbers should I be looking at for this? I think they'll do a better deal if I do the silver that they have versus having to order the black one.

Huddle peeps, please help me negotiate this...

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,775 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

is a hunk of perishable steel you don't live in worth forty thousand dollars to you? if so go for it.

i will drive my piece of crap truck into the ground and buy another one for a couple of grand when it's dead. but then i don't get invited to very many parties.

#3 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,630 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'm not paying that much for something that isn't EXACTLY like I want. If even the thread on the seat is the wrong color, its a no go. $12k is a pretty good trade-in for a 2007 with that many miles. If you get exactly what you want, then it could be safe to pull the trigger. You can build a VW Eos on the VW website with black on black on all 3 trims.

You pay the destination fee for a reason. Make the dealer earn it.

#4 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

Got dam, 40k for a VW? I'd at least shop around some before buying.

#5 DC Amp

DC Amp

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,390 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Maybe you'd get better advice and opinions at a VW forum site where the folks there know more about the specific cars and their value that you are describing. Good luck.

#6 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

Do not buy without doing more research on what's available and what your current trade in is actually worth.

#7 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

So, you're going to buy a new car because your current one might need some repairs someday? Just enjoy the free repair and keep driving the one you have... You would need a lot of repairs to spend the amount of money lost by buying a new car.

#8 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

$ 40 K for a volkswagen ? youve got to be shi--ting me

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,770 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

Take your car by carmax to see what they will give you for it...as a second opinion/offer. Look up to see how much wiggle room they really have. I know Lexus just released their 2013's so their might be some incentives to by a late model year car.

Your car is running so there is no rush to buy. Take the time and do the research.

#10 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,274 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

Get a consuner reports on line account. Lots of good info there.

#11 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

If you're going to spend that much money get a nice truck or something.

#12 CosmoGirl

CosmoGirl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Take your car by carmax to see what they will give you for it...as a second opinion/offer. Look up to see how much wiggle room they really have. I know Lexus just released their 2013's so their might be some incentives to by a late model year car.

Your car is running so there is no rush to buy. Take the time and do the research.

Thanks. That's m ore of the advice I'm looking for. I thought that the new model years may be coming out soon. I've been happy with mine so I do not pay attention what's really going on with cars. I didn't even know that they'd slightly changed the body style on the VW.

I will say that after driving this one around last night, I'm not going to be happy until I get an updated car. I just wonder how much I can get them down on price.

#13 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,549 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

I know it's been said, but a $40K VW?

#14 CosmoGirl

CosmoGirl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

I know it's been said, but a $40K VW?

The base package is around $32. The one I have now was $35k as a CPO w/ 7k miles on it almost 4.5 years ago. So I'm used to the payment and it'll be right in the same ballpark.

#15 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

So you're cool with tossing another $25,000 out the window? Frankly, getting a wholesale offer from CarMax for another $1000 is the least of your concerns in this situation. If you're bent on a new car, at least analyze the used market and try to sell it yourself to minimize that huge loss before starting the cycle over again. If the dealer is nonchalantly offering $12,000 trade-in, a little patience will probably net you another 30% over that if you sell it yourself, if not more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com