Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

Tebow "lays Hands" On Brian Dawkins Injured Neck

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#73 cotblock

cotblock

Don't Call Me Junior Member

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

Deal with it. He isn't entitled to respect.

Would you consider yourself "liberal?"

#74 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

SUPPORTER

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

placebo is placebo.

The body has a way of healing itself if it thinks it is getting treatment.

Be it a laying on hands or a sugar pill. This is why drug companies spend so much money on trials where half of the pills are placebo.

I don't disagree about the reality of the placebo effect, but the whole point of using placebos in a blinded study is to show that there is a marked, measurable, and statistically-significant difference between the intervention and the sugar pill. If there wasn't, what would be the point of marketing the drug?

Again though, I agree about the power of the mind. If someone thinks they're being healed, improvement is often observed.

#75 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

You guys are overstating the effect that placebos and 'positive energy' have. If it were that simple we would just take cancer patients to the circus so they can have a good ol' time with some positive energy and be cured. Homeopathy would also work, even though it has been 100% illustrated to have no effect, placebo or otherwise.

#76 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Agreed. Reiki is the same concept. To each their own. My turf toe was healed via alterantive means two weekends ago. Peope would say was crazy bu it is true. Energy is energy.

Reiki is indeed the same. And also has been illustrated to have no effect in study after study. Even studies by freaking alternative medicine journals.

#77 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

You guys are overstating the effect that placebos and 'positive energy' have. If it were that simple we would just take cancer patients to the circus so they can have a good ol' time with some positive energy and be cured. Homeopathy would also work, even though it has been 100% illustrated to have no effect, placebo or otherwise.

I think you are understating the effect of the circus

#78 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Lol just found out one of my friends who works at Hooters wants him sooo bad she can't stand it.

I told her he is never, NEVER walking thru those doors baby.

#79 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

Administrators

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

If only he had laid pies on brian dawkins, half of your answers would be different.

#80 xONEOFTHEFEWx

xONEOFTHEFEWx

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

There is actually some mixed research regarding faith based healing. It works like a placebo. If people believe something will work there is evidence that is some cases they in fact do get better. The body actually is a fantastic healing machine which is somewhat influenced by expectations of how long it will take to heal. People who are supposed fast healers actually do heal faster at least in small part to the expectation that they will heal faster. Other studies have not shown much use for faith healing.

http://www.skepdic.com/placebo.htm

http://www.cancer.or...t/faith-healing

http://www.tikkun.or...n-relieves-pain

how does it explain a lady getting 2020 vision back in her GLASS eye? #HAPPENED Or a girl getting healed of aids instantly while my friend was preaching about something completely off topic.

#81 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Reiki is indeed the same. And also has been illustrated to have no effect in study after study. Even studies by freaking alternative medicine journals.

They are starting to sound like hippies, no?

"Energy is energy."

#82 CarolinaCatBrigade

CarolinaCatBrigade

She likes my Newton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Posted Image