Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jtnc

Jeremy Shockey Still In Play For Panthers

60 posts in this topic

Shockey has never said he wanted to come back to the giants, just a reporter speculating. He even said so on his twitter.

Perhaps, but you know the old smoke/fire thing.

He said/she said. :P

Shockey, 31, forced that trade by skipping all of the offseason workouts that year and creating a scene at minicamp that included sitting inside old Giants Stadium while the team was on the field practicing. He also shouted at Reese, who had refused to trade him up until that point.

Reese and the entire Giants organization apparently haven't forgotten any of this because word is they're not exactly welcoming Shockey back with open arms.

Someone informed of the communication between the former first-round pick and the Giants said recently even the staunchest of Shockey supporters resisted the idea of his return. The person, who requested anonymity because none of the parties have gone on record, said Shockey told the team he'd accept a veteran-minimum salary ($925,000) but that didn't get him anywhere.

Another person kept abreast of the situation said this morning there have been no talks between the Giants and Shockey. The person asked not to be named because all free-agent discussions, or lack thereof, were to remain private.

Either way, if this snitch crap goes away I'd welcome Shockey back. But not if there's any litgation circus going on.

You're terribly misguided, Barnridge has proved NOTHING a few years ago? Seriously? Shockey has been praised for his leadership by Cam and the rest of his teammates. Shockey was teaching Cam how to be a better leader, I don't where you're getting this from, but it certainly isn't true

When did I say that he proved something? I said that you are underestimating him and I said that he was playing very well in Training Camp before he went down with the ankle injury. It wasnt for nothing that Rivera had tons of good things to say about Barney during training camp.

Obviously I have not seen all the practices and workouts he has had, but I know you havent either. Therefore, if the coaches wanted him back, (like they obviously did because they gave him an extension midseason) then obviously they think that he should get a shot.

You cant PROVE yourself until you get a CHANCE.

1 person likes this

Perhaps, but you know the old smoke/fire thing.

He said/she said. :P

Either way, if this snitch crap goes away I'd welcome Shockey back. But not if there's any litgation circus going on.

That article was written in 2008.

You're terribly misguided, Barnridge has proved NOTHING a few years ago? Seriously? Shockey has been praised for his leadership by Cam and the rest of his teammates. Shockey was teaching Cam how to be a better leader, I don't where you're getting this from, but it certainly isn't true

Also I think you didnt read my post very carefully. I said that the reasons I want shockey back are because of his fire and leadership. I think he was great with Cam. I said that is more important than his play because I think that even if he comes back we will start to phase him out as a player, go younger.

Who the hell would take barnidge over shockey?

Someone trying to be different than everyone else for attention or just really misinformed.

1 person likes this

Our fans overrate some players entirely too much.

Barnidge has just 12 more catches than Zod. Barnidge's results in '08 when we had no real TE threat: 0 catches, 2 drops. Could've emerged by bringing in a pass. In '09 he was improved, but not by much. Many teams would have axed the guy by now. Just being realistic.

Someone trying to be different than everyone else for attention or just really misinformed.

Our fans overrate some players entirely too much.

What it could also be is the fact that our money could be better spent elsewhere. I like Shockey alot and I hope he does come back, but it needs to be cheap. When you are saying "how can fans choose Barnidge over Shockey, What they are really choosing is Barnidge and a defensive player worth about the same as Shockey over Shockey. Again, nothing against shockey, but he is an aging TE with avg blocking skills on an offense with plenty of leaders (Cam, Gross, Kalil) and we already have one fireball on that offense too (Smitty).

What people really need to realize is while Shockey is a great teammate on this team, he is also an aging star who still wants to get payed like one. Money could potentially be better spent in other places.

I think everyone is really underestimating Barnidge. He played really well a few years ago during the Delhomme and Moore year. Then in the Moore and Clausen year he had no catches, but that was when we stripped down the offense to basically one read and then sack. It was clear from camp last year that Barney was lighting it up. They wouldnt have extended him if they didnt think he had a good chance of becoming a serious contributor.

Also everyone who is saying that this offense NEEDS two TE's, when you look at all the other offenses Chud has run, it mainly went through 1 TE and 3 WR's. So even if Barnidge isnt as good as I think he will be, they could easily go to a 3 WR set with Gettis, LaFell and Smith with Olsen at TE.

I would love to have Shockey back, but for me it has more to do with his fire and leadership than with his playing ability.

Chud has only run one other offense unless you are including Miami.

Please come back to us Shocky. Gary Barnidge hasn't proven a damn thing. Let's not give him his first chance as a 2nd string. Tight ends are too valuable to this offense to take such a risk. If Cam Newton is comfortable with tight ends than we need tight ends. We need to make sure Cam can return with the same confidence he ended last season with.

I have a feeling that Cam is extremely confident going into this season. I just want us to resign Shock for one more year because I want us to continue to throw the ball all over the field like he did last year.

His ability to get the ball deep downfeild is what makes him such a perfect dual threat QB. He proved to us last year that he is a legitimate threat, and can hit targets all over the field, as well as use his legs.

I want us to keep on doing the things that were successful, and help Cam to sharpen his balanced game. Now is not the time to take his favorite targets away, and neuter his development.

I'm rambling, but dont forget about Chud either. The man has the makings of a genius, dont neuter him either.