• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#121 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Barnes may have improved in every category, but for all the hype he was a disappointment overall. I can easily see PJ Hairston put up similar numbers as Barnes...or Bullock for that matter which may be who replaces him. Barnes could take over a game, but never did...except for maybe a couple of games his freshman year.

It's great that JMM is returning, but I still see a lot of work to do. Marshall will be missed most, by a mile. Zeller will be the second player we will miss most. Out of everybody I thought that Barnes' production would be the easiest to replace, and I still think that.

I agree 100% with this statement. Replacing Marshall with the passing, Zeller with the touch around the rim and rebounding, and then Henson with the defense are all harder to replace no doubt. I do however feel unc doesn't have anyone on their roster with the talent or skill set that Barnes had. Like I said earlier the kid scared me as a Duke fan because he could completely take over a game, look at the 2nd half of the Duke vs. unc game at unc. The hype killed the kid, he could never live up to it. I mean you called him a disappointment but he had terrific numbers this past year. He had better numbers then Terrance Jones and MKG plus he was 1st team all Acc but unc fans called him disappointing.

#122 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Since he's a 4 his game should be inside, which it is, and he can develop more post moves. A 4 doesnt need a great handle but JMM dribble skills are very good...much better than Barnes. He will get a ton a touches and minutes this upcoming season so his points and rebounds will go way up. So no his stock wont drop. Barnes being a 3 showed by coming back that he cant dribble, has a slow 1st step, streaky shooter at best, and got the ball knocked away or finished weak at the rim way to much. Im not hating on Barnes, its just the truth. His game showed alot of concerns for him wanting to be a succesful NBA 3.

PJ looks to have a swagger about him. Granted his shot was off this season but his mechanics are perfect. He has size, and can drive the ball. He just needs more minutes. Now, he very well could be Will Graves 1.5 but I dont think he is. Bullock could very well be the best player on the team this upcoming year.

Sorry dude but I disagree with you on just about every statement you made here. The only thing Barnes needed to work on was his handle, he was a great shooter with perfect form and was explosive around the basket. How you can say Barnes was weak around the rim but PJ Hairston can drive the ball is beyond me. Barnes dunked on people, Hairston can't even get his fat tail to the rim. Plus how do you know Hairston can drive the ball? He took 198 shots this past year and 139 of them were 3's. I think Will Graves is a perfect comparison to PJ, both were overweight and just want to jack up 3's.

#123 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,621 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

i'm looking forward to next years heels too

#124 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

They are all just dogging Barnes because he didn't live up to the HYPE that these very people cast upon him. Barnes was a dam good player and UNC will miss him next season.

bottom_______

#125 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

They are all just dogging Barnes because he didn't live up to the HYPE that these very people cast upon him. Barnes was a dam good player and UNC will miss him next season.

bottom_______

Agreed, it's hard to replace 17ppg and 5rpg and an all ACC player. They all forget that he lead the team in scoring, was 3rd in rebounding, 2nd in steals, and 2nd in 3 point %.

#126 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Barnes was a very good player but very frustrating to watch a lot of the time. He has the size, frame, perfect form on his shot, a good kid, and at times looked great but.....he had more breakout performances his freshman year than this year, he couldn't drive the ball without getting it stripped by any college defender, his shot disappeared often, he couldn't beat defender's off the dribble, and most of the time he went to the rim soft. His expectations were way to high. I think most of his issues were in his head. I hope he goes into the NBA and averages 30 and 10. What's Duke fans assessment of Rivers? Did he live up to his hype?

#127 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Barnes was a very good player but very frustrating to watch a lot of the time. He has the size, frame, perfect form on his shot, a good kid, and at times looked great but.....he had more breakout performances his freshman year than this year, he couldn't drive the ball without getting it stripped by any college defender, his shot disappeared often, he couldn't beat defender's off the dribble, and most of the time he went to the rim soft. His expectations were way to high. I think most of his issues were in his head. I hope he goes into the NBA and averages 30 and 10. What's Duke fans assessment of Rivers? Did he live up to his hype?

Wow and amazingly he lead the team in scoring with 17ppg. How did he get his points? This sounds more like an assement of Bullock not Barnes.

My assessment of Rivers is he was very frustrating to watch, he reminded me of Barnes last year. He would take just bad shots at times and never really looked to make a pass. I actually don't think Sulimon is a big drop off from Rivers, he is not as quick as AR but has a better shot and plays defense. They are about the same size too, 6'4"-6'5" range.

#128 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Wow and amazingly he lead the team in scoring with 17ppg. How did he get his points? This sounds more like an assement of Bullock not Barnes.

My assessment of Rivers is he was very frustrating to watch, he reminded me of Barnes last year. He would take just bad shots at times and never really looked to make a pass. I actually don't think Sulimon is a big drop off from Rivers, he is not as quick as AR but has a better shot and plays defense. They are about the same size too, 6'4"-6'5" range.

Your feelings on Rivers is my feelings on Barnes...frustrating to watch at times. Sulimon, will be a really good player and a better team player than Rivers for sure.

#129 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Your feelings on Rivers is my feelings on Barnes...frustrating to watch at times. Sulimon, will be a really good player and a better team player than Rivers for sure.

This is kinda my thought as well... The handful of times I watched Rivers, he struck me as a bit selfish (or at least something about him just felt that way), and just looked like he'd be a crappy teammate... I have nothing but gut feelings to base that on, of course...

#130 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

bottom_______

I guess you missed the Skype episode as well as all the talk about the "brand". He put the hype on himself.

#131 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

I guess you missed the Skype episode as well as all the talk about the "brand". He put the hype on himself.

Check out his logo for his "brand"

https://p.twimg.com/...HUICMAAqImd.jpg

#132 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

Check out his logo for his "brand"

https://p.twimg.com/...HUICMAAqImd.jpg

Now if he could get his game up to a level that deserves a brand, he'll be on track.

I find it funny that some people actually think that WE put too much pressure on him.

#133 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

This is kinda my thought as well... The handful of times I watched Rivers, he struck me as a bit selfish (or at least something about him just felt that way), and just looked like he'd be a crappy teammate... I have nothing but gut feelings to base that on, of course...

I too wonder how his teammates felt about him, and his game. He was a selfish player in my eyes and I think next year we will be a better TEAM. I wish I could say that I was upset when he declared but I wasn't.

#134 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Now if he could get his game up to a level that deserves a brand, he'll be on track.

I find it funny that some people actually think that WE put too much pressure on him.

I think the media put too much pressure, not most unc fans. I do however feel some unc fans want to dismiss how good he actually was, I mean there are multiple people on this board that feel PJ Hairston is better then Barnes and to me that is ridiculous. Hairston has showed nothing to this point to say he can come close to accomplishing what Barnes did. Next to maybe Zeller, Barnes was the best player on the court for the heels. Stat wise Barnes had an outstanding year but some people expected so much that he couldn't get there. I just can't believe I am taking up for the Black Falcon. :)

#135 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Hairston isn't as good as Barnes...but I think he can put up similar numbers. Barnes wasn't what I thought he'd be...and where did I get these thoughts? Well from him, mostly. Yeah the media hyped him up too, but Barnes wasn't shying away from it. If Barnes had kept his mouth shut about brands and just played, I seriously doubt most people that are dissing him now, would have. Hansbrough was probably the best player we've had (IMO) in the past 20 years...and he never talked about himself, or hyped himself...ever. And yes I know the past 20 years has some good players (Carter, Jamison, Lawson, etc), but Hansbrough was a better college player than any of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com