Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Black government official removes confederate flags from graves

40 posts in this topic

Posted

They were not treasonous. Loyalty then was more to the state than to the nation. It was true as much in the North as it was in the South. Thats a big part of the reason that the regiments were implemented by state on both sides. Many soldiers didn't want to fight for a company commander that came from another state.

IMO, judging civil war era soldiers by today's standards is wrong.

Posted

Canada has issues with parts of the country wanting to break away. The French speaking part, especially. I don't think they are treasonous. Sometimes people just become too different to be under the same flag.

Posted

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Rodeo supports the rights of those who burn the American flag.

I support the right of those to burn American flags, but only if they wrap themselves up in it first.

Posted

Confederates were stupid. They lost. The flag holds ties to slavery but does not exactly represent it. It has become synonomous with the KKK in some regards and that observation is mostly true.

Couldn't they honor their relatives in another way? Maybe they shouldn't have been treasonous, even though the decision was controlled by the planter class and the typical farmer hated the war. So in this regard the flag doesn't really represent much except for what he was forced to die for because the Southern govn't was backwards and ignorant. Just find a different way to honor them.

Do you honestly think you have a right to tell anyone else how to honor - or grieve for - their ancestors?

Whether you agree with what they do or not, no one has the right to destroy their chosen form of memorial.