Photo
- - - - -

Black government official removes confederate flags from graves

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#16 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,639 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

You gotta admit.....thats one stylin jacket he has there.

#17 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

United States of the Offended

#18 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:50 PM

The klan started because of the oppressive means by which the Union commenced reconstruction. Making beat down soldiers who have lost everything swear allegience to a country that they have no rights in was a wee tad much. Then appointing black people to political office just to rub their noses in it when that same black person could never get elected up north was also just a wee tad much. Watching your property be bought up by carpetbaggers at the same time was just a wee tad much. Reconstruction was a monumental failure by the federal government on many levels.

#19 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,723 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:03 PM

just the ones who fought on the side of slavery.

Yeah, there was no other reason for the civil war, just slavery, uh huh... and 100% of all southerners supported it ONLY because of slavery.. :rolleyes:

#20 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Yeah, there was no other reason for the civil war, just slavery, uh huh... and 100% of all southerners supported it ONLY because of slavery.. :rolleyes:

Slavery was a factor, but the predominant factor was financial...SC led by John C Calhoun tried to secede 50 years before it actually happened, and it was all about money...Most wars are economic in nature.

#21 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,723 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Slavery was a factor, but the predominant factor was financial...SC led by John C Calhoun tried to secede 50 years before it actually happened, and it was all about money...Most wars are economic in nature.

Did you miss my sarcasm or were you just adding to it with some info?

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,324 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

Slavery, or the threat to it was the main reason the first seven states left the Union. The other four (North carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Arkansas) only left after Lincoln called up troops to suppress the rebellion, an act which they considered to be unjust.

#23 Sheldon Wolowizard

Sheldon Wolowizard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

I think people forget that the view on loyalty was different at the time of the Civil War. People were more loyal to states than to the country as a whole. Also, slavery didn't stop at the Virginia state line. There were also slaves in the Northern states. Wouldn't that make the American flag racist?

I find the act by this man to be a racist act, but not one that will ever be admitted to be such. That flag represents hatred to him, but there is no way to know why those men who are buried there fought and died, To label them as racist proves who the real racist is.

#24 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,137 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

it doesn't matter why you fight when you fight on the side of slavery. if i go take up arms with the taliban because i like their opinion on taxes, i am still fighting for everything else they represent.

#25 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,324 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:28 AM

it doesn't matter why you fight when you fight on the side of slavery. if i go take up arms with the taliban because i like their opinion on taxes, i am still fighting for everything else they represent.

So if a slave owner from Maryland fights for the Union, but wants to keep his slaves, is he fighting against slavery.

I think you are simplyfying a very complicated issue.

#26 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,137 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:36 AM

symbols are very powerful and straight forward things. to most people, the confederate flag does not represent a rich tapestry of nuanced history. it represents slavery. that is not an 'incorrect emotion,' and the symbol's use has no place in our government.

#27 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 17,962 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:43 AM

Another thread with skin color in the title? :lol:

#28 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,454 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

The meaning or symbolism of the flags is meaningless. How you personally view the confederarte flag - whether positive or negative - is irrelevant here. You can't go defacing and/or destroying other people's property without expecting to be penalized under the law.

The flags could have been swastikas and it still wouldn't have mattered.

#29 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Rodeo supports the rights of those who burn the American flag.

#30 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

Did you miss my sarcasm or were you just adding to it with some info?

Got the sarcasm - just adding some info.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com