Carolina Panthers NFL Draft Janoris Jenkins

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#46 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

So if you think a lot college and pro players smoke weed and just do a better job of hiding it, why does it matter if Jenkins smokes? Do you know specifically that Florida was aware of the upcoming tests in time to tell Jenkins to stop? And do you actually think NFL coaches are ok with their players smoking weed?

#47 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

A lot of people have speculated that if Muschamp wasn't the head coach he would have stayed on the team. Not saying people wouldn't have had questions over his character but the whole getting kicked off the team highlighted it a bit more.

#48 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Cams situation was totally different and he never had any drug related problems. Comparing him to Cam is like apples to oranges.

Cam never had any drug problems, but both players were punished for off-field issues. Cam was labeled as a trouble-maker with character concerns; someone who was immature and could not be trusted with the #1 pick. The same argument is being made against Jenkins (as a top 10 pick).

#49 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Tell me....What did Jenkins probably say to coaches after his first drug bust? What is he saying now? HINT: The same damn things. If you think going undergound to a FCS (I AA) school cured him enough to invest a high pick on him-you are dumb.

Yes, RR can contol him. Shouldn't Rivera be spending his time doing other things? You folks act like we are running a day care-rehab service. Not worth it. In my experience, people on drugs will lie and let you down. EVERY TIME.

Cured him? You do know that marijuana causes no physical or chemical addictions. I know plenty of regular marijuana users, some of them are unreliable people and also do real drugs as well (cocaine, narcotics, excessive alcohol abuse, etc). About half of them however, are very reliable and good people that provide for society. They have successful careers in technology, law and financial services to name a few. They also have families that they care for, provide for and protect.

Fact of the matter is that people are still people. You can point a single aspect of an individual and immediately assume that everyone who possesses that aspect are identical, or you can be realistic and see that some people, despite what they do in their spare time, are good and some are assholes.

#50 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Some of you people love to cherry pick and ignore the glaring facts about people.

#51 TylerVagyler

TylerVagyler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

The only "glaring fact" is that he smoked weed. Some people are ignorant and just assume that makes him a bad person for the rest of his life.

#52 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Tell me....What did Jenkins probably say to coaches after his first drug bust? What is he saying now? HINT: The same damn things. If you think going undergound to a FCS (I AA) school cured him enough to invest a high pick on him-you are dumb.

Yes, RR can contol him. Shouldn't Rivera be spending his time doing other things? You folks act like we are running a day care-rehab service. Not worth it. In my experience, people on drugs will lie and let you down. EVERY TIME.

Voice of Reason in a sea of stupidity.

#53 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I don't think it's being ignored. It's been mentioned in basically every post. It's whether or not our coaching staff and front office feels comfortable enough to draft a kid who has questions with his past. If they feel that he is genuine in what he is saying and senses change then he has to be in consideration.

So we are allowed to "cherry pick" with Cam but not Janoris.

#54 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Going by that Highlight video, where do u see his cover skills, most of the plays were special teams plays. If your gonna make the argument that hes the best CB in the draft maybe have a video showing some actual coverage skills?

#55 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Going by that Highlight video, where do u see his cover skills, most of the plays were special teams plays. If your gonna make the argument that hes the best CB in the draft maybe have a video showing some actual coverage skills?

I'll never make a case this strong if I haven't seen a kid play. And I am not talking about youtube videos, rarely judge players off that.

Not many have seen that video that's really why I posted it. Some of his other videos from his time at UF have been on this forum before. I have seen every game of his at UF and was just relaying what I saw.

#56 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,229 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I don't think it's being ignored. It's been mentioned in basically every post. It's whether or not our coaching staff and front office feels comfortable enough to draft a kid who has questions with his past. If they feel that he is genuine in what he is saying and senses change then he has to be in consideration.

So we are allowed to "cherry pick" with Cam but not Janoris.

No one Cherry picked Cam. His failures were out in the open and were not that serious(excepting stolen goods). Still your trying to compare a guy that tried weed to a pot head and you sound stupid doing it. Also Im sure Matt Jones was real sorry and had learned his lesson too.

No one cherry picked with Cam. It was all out in the open... Also Im sure

#57 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

What? I realize why he went there, he wanted to play. But I am saying the aftereffect was an humbling experience.

Maybe...maybe not.

He did not have to sit out a year. He is still looked at as a first round draft pick. Not sure what humbling experience you are referring to.

#58 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,588 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Its proven that Money does not make you be a better person or does it help stop drug problems.

For a kid to fail a Collage drug test the first time he's not too smart or is an addict. Most every school knows when the test or going to happen and have time to prepare there players. Most NFL teams know players smoke weed and many have failed the combine test but there is a difference between recreational use and not being able to stop. Clearly his was of the latter.

If you have consistently smoked marijuana in your life for extended amounts of time, you would probably realize that the substance itself is not what is addictive, but usually those who smoke tend to form a habit of needing an oral fixation. Classifying a teenager as an "addict" for smoking marijuana in his spare time is a bit absurd. Also, the drug test for the NCAA are random. Nearly every friend of mine here at college complain about random screenings every season and all season long.

I'm not trying to turn this into a marijuana debate, I just think you would be surprised at how many athletes smoked the substance in their collegiate careers and in the off-season and still go on to be stud professional athletes.

#59 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Maybe...maybe not.

Read this interview: Draft Countdown Interview

Scott Wright: Can you talk a little bit about the adjustment of going from the SEC to a D2 Program? Was it more difficult than you anticipated?

Janoris Jenkins: I mean, it was difficult, but it was an experience. It humbled me a lot seeing how I went from Florida to a Division II football school in one season. It really humbled me as a kid. It taught me a lot. The environment was totally different, from 95,000 in "The Swamp" to 3,500 at UNA. Big difference.

He did not have to sit out a year. He is still looked at as a first round draft pick. Not sure what humbling experience you are referring to.

Not sure what point you're trying to make here. I don't follow.

#60 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

No one Cherry picked Cam. His failures were out in the open and were not that serious(excepting stolen goods). Still your trying to compare a guy that tried weed to a pot head and you sound stupid doing it. Also Im sure Matt Jones was real sorry and had learned his lesson too.

No one cherry picked with Cam. It was all out in the open... Also Im sure

Don't really want to get into the debate of how bad marijuana is for you or comparing the the offenses of Cam and Janoris.

But I will say no one is ignoring Jenkins's past. It's has been noted plenty of times. It's all out in the open as you say. What I have been trying to say is that I believe that Janoris has the ability to change and he is taking the right steps in doing so. None of us have sat done with the kid to judge him but from the outside looking in he seems to be owning up to his mistakes. That to me is a great sign.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL Draft, Janoris Jenkins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com