Photo
- - - - -

If Stewart Isn't Traded It Will Be Because..

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

NFL contracts are relatively easy to wipe from the books. I have no insight into Deangelo's contract but what I do know is that compared the the NBA and MLB, NFL contracts are nowhere near as costly if you decide to cut a player. If Stewart isn't traded then my prediction is that we resign him and cut Deangelo. It'll be hard to do because DWill is a fan favorite and one of the greatest representatives of the organization we have ever had. But I just don't see us letting Stewart walk away if he has a huge year and I don't see us committing 90-100 million dollars to the running back position when the turnover rate is the highest of any player in any sport in the country. No matter what...this is the last year of Double Trouble but hopefully Stewart has another big year, instills confidence into the FO, and we keep him around. We can't keep both and we can't trade Deangelo. So that is what I would do if it didn't kill our cap next year (which I don't think it will because nobody...not even a dumbass like Hurney...is going to give a 28 year old running back a huge contract that will destroy the cap if cut).

#2 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,586 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

I think we would trade him for a 2nd rd pick but no less

#3 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,468 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

Keep Dwill and Tolbert

Traded Goodson
Trade Stew
Pick up scat back with later round pick

Three unique style RB's going into season

#4 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hurney is a genuis, he will figure it out. trollface.jpg

#5 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Cutting Deangelo this season would give us like $13 million in dead cap space.

I don't think next season will fair any better.

#6 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

I don't believe Stewart will be with us next year. Our offense simply doesn't use runningbacks like it used too.

#7 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

I don't believe Stewart will be with us next year. Our offense simply doesn't use runningbacks like it used too.

Really? Because the second half of last season this team turned into a running team. Without good running backs, it would have never happened.

#8 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

We may not use running backs the way we used to, but that doesn't mean we don't use them.

We had the 3rd best running attack last season. Saying running backs weren't related to our "success" is just silly.

#9 ChefAdam

ChefAdam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWilson, NC

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Stewart wont be traded. Not unless some team offers the bank for him. We will keep running our Two back system with Cam and Tolbert getting an occasional carry.

#10 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

To put it simply, teams are going to overcompensate for cams running ability by stacking the box. We will respond by throwing. The emphasis in the front office right now is finding a scat back who can catch out of the backfield. We have d-wil as the every down back and Tolbert for short yardage, a scat who will run screens and short yardage routes..... I do not think stew will have a place in this offense next year

#11 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

To put it simply, teams are going to overcompensate for cams running ability by stacking the box. We will respond by throwing. The emphasis in the front office right now is finding a scat back who can catch out of the backfield. We have d-wil as the every down back and Tolbert for short yardage, a scat who will run screens and short yardage routes..... I do not think stew will have a place in this offense next year

Cam throws for 4000 yards last season, and they're going to stack the box to stop his running?

I hopes teams really are that dumb. He's not Michael Vick.

#12 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Planning to run Cam is not smart.

#13 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, contracts in the NFL aren't guaranteed so cutting players aren't that big of a deal.

#14 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

I just don't understand how people can be so short sighted? What do you think is going to happen with Stewart??? He is going to have a good year next year, then magically were going to find the cap room to resign him? Is he going to play at the league minimum so to stay here??? Yes, we all love him as a player, but guys, seriously, why not get some value for him while we can and move on.

WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO BRING HIM BACK IN 2013. Not after the contract we gave Williams.

#15 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Unfortunately, I think that Stewart is the side that isnt coming to the table. Hurney can work the magic to keep him, and I am hoping that we will impress Stewart with a really good playoff run this year... But it is up to him if he wants to stay. Stewart is from the West Coast I have lived periodically on that side before, and it is a different culture. North Carolina just may not have grown on him? Maybe he just wants to be closer to home.

Something tells me that he would like to play for Denver, Seattle or SF. He is a damned good RB, and when it is time for him to get his money, he is likely to get a choice to where he goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com