• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,674 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hurney has always seemed to favor production over potential, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't bring Poe in for an interview either.

#47 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

It really comes down to whether Poe has the drive to be great and is willing to put in the effort. His Combine shows he is atletic and a hard worker in the gym. If he can translate that to the field he will be a very good player. I expect we will interview him and figure it out. I trust if they pick him they know he has the drive. If they don't then they know he has some converns and reservations too big to ignore.

#48 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,667 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Nostradamus would like a word with you.

I have his book on my bookshelf. Never read it.

#49 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,667 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

you would think people would learn from last year after being so wrong about Cam. Then again, the ones that were right about havent' learned anything yet and are just as bad as those against Cam last year.

We can never really know how these guys will pan out. It's so up and down a la Dwayne Jarrett sucking or Biakabutuka never being healthy.

#50 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

It really comes down to whether Poe has the drive to be great and is willing to put in the effort. His Combine shows he is atletic and a hard worker in the gym. If he can translate that to the field he will be a very good player. I expect we will interview him and figure it out. I trust if they pick him they know he has the drive. If they don't then they know he has some converns and reservations too big to ignore.

I'm afraid it's not that simple. You can be driven and athletic and still fail. Some people just don't know how to learn the game and take in what their coaches tell them. Sometimes it's not a matter of effort, but a lack of understanding. That's where I stand with Poe right now.

#51 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,513 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have his book on my bookshelf. Never read it.

You need to read it. No bs, it's a good book.

#52 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,667 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

You need to read it. No bs, it's a good book.

Posted Image

#53 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

True but he also had no help. and some people may develop at a slower rate than others, the non-teachable traits are there. its up to coaching and him to make the most out of it. i dont want him at 9, but its unfair to label him as a bust before he even took a snap.

Plenty of great college DL play on weak overall lines.....and they produce. Poe had the luxury of weak competition as well..

Just bc someone is physically impressive doesn't mean good coaching will make them good football players. Poe should of done more in college.

#54 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

And based on his play in a weak CUSA.....we have a clue about the answer to that question.

Poe's effort was always questioned in college as well.....proof is in the pudding and his work in college.

#55 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,497 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Plenty of great college DL play on weak overall lines.....and they produce. Poe had the luxury of weak competition as well..

Just bc someone is physically impressive doesn't mean good coaching will make them good football players. Poe should of done more in college.

and that still doesnt mean he will bust. some players may take a while to develop, and again i do not want him at 9.just saying its unfair to label a guy a bust before he played a NFL snap. plus the fact that he is a junior coming out, another year to prove himself would have helped.

#56 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

and that still doesnt mean he will bust. some players may take a while to develop, and again i do not want him at 9.just saying its unfair to label a guy a bust before he played a NFL snap. plus the fact that he is a junior coming out, another year to prove himself would have helped.

Doesn't mean he wil be a bust but it would make him a likely candidate to be one.

#57 mick eye

mick eye

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

In defense of a Poe 1st round pick. I will say franchises like the Ravens have made a habit in the draft of taking a chance on exceptionally large athletes. Ngata and Cody were smart picks. Upside on a cat like Dontari is off the charts. I get the counterpoint about production but i have faith in our coaching staff to bring out the best in him. Serious would not be mad at the pick. Do i like Worthy better? Yes. I also would take a gamble on Coples because of upside too so.....

#58 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,497 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Doesn't mean he wil be a bust but it would make him a likely candidate to be one.

but being that he will put in the work, shrinks those chances. when ever the lightbulb goes off, he will be hell.

#59 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

The thing is that all of these arguements can be made for just about every athletic college football player that doesn't stand out...and there would be hundreds of them. The problem is that he he was in a position to show that he at least can be dominant, but never did. If he were in a good conference like the SEC, then I could ubderstand his lack of production (at least to a point), but he played against guys that will be lucky to make it in the Arena league, and didn't do much. And no, he wasn't doubled all the time, there were plenty of times he was stonewalled or ended up on his back one on one. Despite being big and athletic, he plays small, and he has never shown the heart or determination that you want to see out of a guy picked that high.

To me, this is a guy that may be worth the risk in the 3rd or 4th, but in no way is he worth an early pick...and God forbid in the top ten.

#60 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

In defense of a Poe 1st round pick. I will say franchises like the Ravens have made a habit in the draft of taking a chance on exceptionally large athletes. Ngata and Cody were smart picks. Upside on a cat like Dontari is off the charts. I get the counterpoint about production but i have faith in our coaching staff to bring out the best in him. Serious would not be mad at the pick. Do i like Worthy better? Yes. I also would take a gamble on Coples because of upside too so.....

But those large athletes that they took were all very productive in college...against much better competition than Poe faced. Other than being big, strong, and athletic, what has Poe ever shown to indicate that he has any ability to be a decent NFL player?

I've listened to and read many evaluations (by so-called professional evaluators) and have yet to see one positive other than his size and athleticism. In almost every one of them, they make some comment along the lines of "he may not of been all that productive in college, but you just can't teach that kind of size and athleticism." Yet in none of them have I heard or read someone say they watched tape and came away impressd with anything. The only reason they give for rating him high is his freakish athlticism and size.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.