Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wide Receiver

70 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I mentioned Blackmon yesterday for this same topic's reasons, for our wideouts are either developing or aging.

A veteran player like Edwards could relieve Smitty but it has not been done since Moose. It seems you need to have someone just as passionate as Smitty, or it does not work. Not selfish but crazy to get along on the field. TE Shockey has passion and it worked. Keyshawn was selfish and it failed bad.

Perhaps Chad Johnson? he has personal history and has passion. He would get along with Smitty and help Cam.

If we pick up a wide receiver in the draft, he needs to be very comfortable in his abilities. Hence, a high pick rather a late one in the draft.

Jarrett, Colbert, dude from OSU that the raiders picked up a few years back all were later picks that did not work opposite Smitty.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ClarkCam' timestamp='1333323251' post='1712878']
Don't get me wrong, he definitely showed flashes... But for example, in Houston, he was targeted a multitude of times and failed to come up with a single catch. And if you can't get ahead of Naanee except when he gets injured, I'm not impressed.
[/quote] I don't see a great need for us to get a WR this yeaar, unless he's a return man. We have other areas that are more important that needs to be addressed first.

Posted · Report post

You may not have noticed, but we already added a receiver that had more receptions than Naanee/ LaFell last year. His name is Mike Tolbert and in the Turner/Chud system he will be more than just an outlet. We'll pound the ball with our three headed attack, throwing to the backs as part of moving the chains. Gettis/Smith will take the top off the defense daring them to put 8 in the box. Cam will hit them with a variety of 20+ yd passes on the outside. If the defense tries to take this away, Olsen/Barnidge will beat them down the middle.

Rivera is making a concerted effort to upgrade the special teams and adding a KO/P returner is more valuable IMO. If he happens to be a WR, so be it.

Posted · Report post

Fail, LaFell started over Legetron at the end of the season and he went hard in the clutch. We have no third this year.

Posted · Report post

Are people really defending AE? He wasn't on the field much because he didn't earn none of his damn TIME! Lafell EARNED the #2 position. Jesus christ, I'll be glad when we cut him, worst decision ever.

Posted · Report post

They are talking about Braylon Edwards, good lord, read the thread before you freak out.

Posted · Report post

LaFell was credited with 1 drop last year, and something like a 96% catch rate. So I wouldn't use hands as a negative. To be honest, much of the hand myth started in training camp his rookie year when he dropped a few, but he seems to have worked it out.

As for his potential, like many big possession receivers (ex. Moose) LaFell's game will not be predicated on speed and getting separation. It will be based on knowing how to find the soft spots of a defense, ability to shield the defender, and outmuscling DB's. And those are things he has shown the ability to do, not to mention his outstanding blocking ability. And as he gains more experience, he should get much better at these things. So I don't see any reason to think he can't/won't be a solid #2...however, I don't believe he'll ever be a true #1, though.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Floppin' timestamp='1333331751' post='1713016']
They are talking about Braylon Edwards, good lord, read the thread before you freak out.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I read some posters defending AE.

Posted · Report post

not so much that LaFell couldn't beat out Legapoo.....Legapoo was on the field making sure all the players were lined up correctly and knew the play.

Posted · Report post

I like what we currently have at WR. There are question marks but there is also a lot upside IMO.

This will be the year we find out if Gettis has what it takes to become a #1 ( which I think he can be). If not then next year I could see drafting a WR in the first to replace Smith as a starter. Gettis has the combination of size and speed that can really give defenses fits. And based on how quickly he saw playing time his first year I think he has a good football IQ as well.

LaFell is a solid #2 already IMO but he is strictly a possession receiver so it limits him being used in multiple packages. But just looking at him being used as a possession receiver he gives the offense a threat on the outside and in the endzone not to forget he one hell of a blocker in the running game.

Pilares is the most intriguing to me as he can be used as a flanker, in the slot or as mentioned earlier out of the backfield as a scat back. And to go along with the idea that the WRs need to have an additude ala Smitty, Pilares seems to have that swagger that Smitty and Cam have.

If these three can pan out it makes for a nice core of young WRs that could be kept around for a long time in the Cam era of the Panthers.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Woodie' timestamp='1333332028' post='1713023']
LaFell was credited with 1 drop last year, and something like a 96% catch rate. So I wouldn't use hands as a negative. To be honest, much of the hand myth started in training camp his rookie year when he dropped a few, but he seems to have worked it out.

As for his potential, like many big possession receivers (ex. Moose) LaFell's game will not be predicated on speed and getting separation. It will be based on knowing how to find the soft spots of a defense, ability to sheild the defender, and outmuscling DB's. And those are things he has shown the ability to do, not to mention his outstanding blocking ability. And as he gains more experience, he should get much better at these things. So I don't see any reason to think he can't/won't be a solid #2...however, I don't believe he'll ever be a true #1, though.
[/quote]

The iffy hands talk was based off his career at LSU. He showed that as a rookie.....would make a mind boggling catch and whiff on an easy one. That was always the knock on him.

LaFell did look more sure handed this year....he also had less opportunity vs. his rookie year. had close to 25 less targets this year.

I think he could be a Moose type WR though. Not as good but close. Definately an asset to a WR corp

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pantherman95' timestamp='1333323435' post='1712882']
How dare you defy Lafell on this forum.
[/quote]

yeah really, it's been since October since we have heard such a thing.