Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers Mull Option At Cb

47 posts in this topic

Posted

Would anyone be pissed if we reached and took Gilmore at 9 if Claiborne is gone?

i probably wouldnt like that at all.

Posted

First of all, Kuechly is an absolute stud and is not a reach at 9. Will be the next Zach Thomas. 10-year pro-bowl starter in the middle.

Second, he has absolutely none of the issues other players that are being discussed at this pick have (Poe - crappy game tape, Coples - questions about effort/ethic, DeCastro - reach, etc.)

Third, linebacker is an absolute position of need for us and Rivera asks a lot of linebackers in his defensive schemes. Not to be hyperbolic but our linebacking corp has been absolutely DECIMATED over the past year.

Finally, Gamble had one of the best seasons in the league last year. Clearly, Capt. is not going to cut it, but don't forget about Hogan. There is still potential there.

Personally, I will be crushed if we don't take Kuechly at nine and a corner/tackle in the 2nd.

Posted

why? if beason and davis go down again are you comfortable with james anderson and two unknowns starting at the position?

If Smith goes down are comfortable with Lafell and Gettis? If Jordan Gross goes down are you okay with Lee Ziemba and Campbell? If Kalil goes down are you okay with Hangartner? If Chris Gamble goes down are you okay with Captain Munnerlyn? If Cam goes down are you okay with Anderson and Clausen?

1 person likes this

Posted

Stupid hypothetical.

Posted

Stupid hypothetical.

Fail for 2 posts to make 1 point.

Also wanted to throw in there that I wish all this hype around Poe would die. Does it not worry anyone that a man that size with that kind of freakish athletic ability couldn't do a thing in crappy Conference USA in a game?

Posted

If Smith goes down are comfortable with Lafell and Gettis? If Jordan Gross goes down are you okay with Lee Ziemba and Campbell? If Kalil goes down are you okay with Hangartner? If Chris Gamble goes down are you okay with Captain Munnerlyn? If Cam goes down are you okay with Anderson and Clausen?

Im pretty sure u just gave every superstitious person a heart attack just now.

Posted

Fail for 2 posts to make 1 point.

Also wanted to throw in there that I wish all this hype around Poe would die. Does it not worry anyone that a man that size with that kind of freakish athletic ability couldn't do a thing in crappy Conference USA in a game?

Never was high on Poe.

Posted

Injuries WILL happen, accept it. Even players who don't have an injury past.

Posted

i get what you're saying - you can't just bank on injuries.

however, the failure of your argument lies in the fact that smith didn't tear an achilles tendon last year, so there is no reasonable evidence to suggest he might not be able to play. gross and kalil didn't tear ACLs, so there's no reasonable assessment that suggests we should draft backups in case they can't play.

i don't know if you're just trying to be pithy or what, but anyone can see how drafting linebacker based on current injuries at the position is completely different than drafting other positions on the baseless pretense of possible future injuries.

Posted

i get what you're saying - you can't just bank on injuries.

however, the failure of your argument lies in the fact that smith didn't tear an achilles tendon last year, so there is no reasonable evidence to suggest he might not be able to play. gross and kalil didn't tear ACLs, so there's no reasonable assessment that suggests we should draft backups in case they can't play.

i don't know if you're just trying to be pithy or what, but anyone can see how drafting linebacker based on current injuries at the position is completely different than drafting other positions on the baseless pretense of possible future injuries.

Demeco Ryans played all last year just fine, Beason has been pretty much given an entire year to rehab and train. Maybe we should consider draft a tackle in the 1st based on Otah's knees and the fact Gross won't be playing for much longer?

Posted

I'd rather take Kuechly over a project DT in the first. You guys can cry all you want about it being too much of a "safe" pick, but it's the only right pick at that spot if we're looking for an impact defensive player that isn't Claiborne. We need a DT, we want a DT, but Poe isn't going to do anything for us anytime soon. The only other defensive player that would make an impact without reaching would be Coples and as much as I think he's only a top 10 prospect simply "because", it's the only other pick that would make sense.

These two players are good if you're the kind of person that hates reaching regardless of need. I wouldn't mind reaching for Jenkins though instead of taking an overrated and unprepared DT that has no game film in a weak conference to actually prove his worth (Poe). If you want a DT tackle in this draft, get ready to wait 1-2 seasons before he actually shows you his worth (or anything). We need defense now if you haven't noticed. If we're going to settle for a raw as hell DT, then this position can easily be addressed in the 2nd. First round is for impact.

This is all of course, if we don't trade down or do something stupid like take an offensive player. People considering Decastro in this thread have given me aids.

Posted

Demeco Ryans played all last year just fine, Beason has been pretty much given an entire year to rehab and train. Maybe we should consider draft a tackle in the 1st based on Otah's knees and the fact Gross won't be playing for much longer?

achilles surgeries are possible to come back from, but why just assume he's going to come back from something that devastating and maintain his form? why assume that thomas davis, who's played only a handful of snaps in the last couple of years, is suddenly going to have an all-pro year?

i don't know what you're trying to prove here but i'm assuming you don't actually believe what's coming out of your keyboard right now. anyone who has followed the panthers since the beginning of the 2011 season can look at the linebacker situation and the offensive line situation and discern a vast gulf of difference between the two.