91 replies to this topic

#31 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Heh. Two sides to his 'posturing'
1) The judges have already voted and he knows he lost. Makes the statement to set the stage for the news media to blame the judges as 'activist' and he then MUST be re-elected to replace those evil judges who rule against the will of the people.
2) a win for Obamacare and he looks like he's the tough man telling the Supremecourt what to do.

As for those parroting the Dems talking points of 'activist judges'. The Supreme court is setup to not be elected and make sure the other two branches are not abusing their power. They interpret laws/cases and see if it adheres or violates The Constitution. This gov't whether run by Rs or Ds should never have this kind of power. And trust me I don't approve of the SC's upholding of Eminent Domain because the gov't can get more tax revenue by forcing a sell to developer.

#32 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

I wouldn't put it past Obama to be pulling a number 2 (poptarts suggestion).

#33 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Well tell the Dems to concentrate on states that aren't top 10 in population. Votes count for more in smaller states. When was the last time a candidate of any party made a trip to Wyoming?

Gore lost because he lost NH. You're right.

#34 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

I agree with their decision. I just find it hilarious that right wingers always yell "activist judges" when something goes against their beliefs. I guess this ruling will always be linked to any thread about that.

#35 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

I think that it's totally appropriate for the USSC to review this law.

I also think that other conservative judges have upheld it but the USSC conservative judges do not appear to take that into account at all and wonder why that could be.

#36 Spaceballs83

Spaceballs83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

LOL!! Why is is BS? The law is unconstitutional. Get it through your thick skull. Where under the Commerce Clause does it give the US gov't the right to "order" people to buy health insurance???? Where?????

Supreme court makes this constitutional, the authority of the fed gov't to regulate anything will have no boundaries.

#37 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

I agree with their decision. I just find it hilarious that right wingers always yell "activist judges" when something goes against their beliefs. I guess this ruling will always be linked to any thread about that.

Do you even have a clue what anyone means when judicial activism is talked about?

Name one law being "created" from this bench concerning Obamacare. It's simply reviewing law so that it can be deemed constitutional or unconstitutional. I love how liberals are now re-framing the debate here in complete willfull ignorance.

#38 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

yes its their job to interpret the law and apply it, the same way other judges have.

Like perhaps when it was somehow determined that a corporation is a person - do you think that the Founding Fathers had that one in mind?

In this case they could take a law that from what I have seen, the majority of legal scholars seem to think is actually Constitutional (or at least a "special case" that needs to be viewed on it's unique circumstances), judges up the chain have upheld it to be so, and reverse it. It's their perogative to do so but to think that this will not be anything but a political decision - whatever way it goes - is stupidly naive. All you have to do is look at every other major decision the court has made over the last 30 years to see that's the case.

#39 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,501 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

(almost) always the voice of reason.

Depends on my mood. :)

#40 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

I am for a healthcare overhaul, I just dont like Obamacare because I dont like insurance companies in the middle of it, raising the price.

Japan was pretty smart in the way that they treated healthcare. I think that they have a good model to look at, and see what could be done to make it even better. The thing I like most about healthcare in Japan, is the urgency of preventative medicine. They put a large emphasis on screening and testing so that diseases and conditions can be caught early, making healthcare more successful, and cheaper at the same time.

http://www.google.co...YKUuGHQGS2chJ0w

#41 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Obama probably doesn't really care if the mandate is ruled unconstitutional...just as long as the entire thing isn't thrown out. His goal is single payer anyhow.

What in the world leads you to think his goal is a single payer system?

He specifically went out of his way to get rid of the option in favor of a mandate system, which amounts to a handout to insurance companies.

#42 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

What in the world leads you to think his goal is a single payer system?

He specifically went out of his way to get rid of the option in favor of a mandate system, which amounts to a handout to insurance companies.

No...the mandate was a part of the funding of his "reconciliation" Obamacare bill.

#43 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

No...the mandate was a part of the funding of his "reconciliation" Obamacare bill.

Obama has specifically gone out of his way at every twist and turn to get rid of any mention of a single payer system. This quote is from 2009.

"If I were starting a system from scratch, then I think that the idea of moving towards a single-payer system could very well make sense," Obama said. "That's the kind of system that you have in most industrialized countries around the world. The only problem is that we're not starting from scratch."

http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=106969104

This is of course backed up by every single action taken by his administration.

I don't understand why someone like you, who wants to place every evil and wrong at Obama's feet, is unwilling to make the logical conclusion that his healthcare reform bill, which is a pile of poo sprinkled with some bits of chocolate, was anything other than a means to secure funding from the insurance lobby.

Instead, you think that fleecing americans even more while giving them a larger cage to hide in is actually the next step on the path to single payer, when if he'd wanted to he could have done that in 2008.

#44 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,501 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Obama has specifically gone out of his way at every twist and turn to get rid of any mention of a single payer system.

Just an opinion, but I think he would like a single payer system, but knows that it doesn't have a chance of passing.

#45 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Just an opinion, but I think he would like a single payer system, but knows that it doesn't have a chance of passing.

Rubbish.

for the last twenty years the United States has consistently polled 60-70% in favor of a government run healthcare system, and he had more political clout than any person in US history when he was elected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com