Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Panthers Select: Cb Jayron Hosley

47 posts in this topic

Posted

2006 article by Clayton: Teams Have Different Philosophies on Cornerback Size

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2422307

Still, the success of Smith and Santana Moss opened offenses' eyes to the advantage of the quick receivers who can get a lot of yards after the catch. It's forcing teams to upgrade the ratings on the smaller, quicker cornerbacks who can run with the receivers.

And that's a smart move, considering research shows that bigger defenders have a shorter longevity.

"In a 10-year study he did of cornerbacks, he noticed that the taller cornerbacks usually don't make it," Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. "How many 6-2 cornerbacks are there in the league?"

Currently, the NFL has only four starting cornerbacks who are 6-2: Gary Baxter of the Browns, Julian Battle of the Chiefs, Andre Woolfolk of the Titans and Mike Rumph of the 49ers, who played a little safety in the past two seasons. There are no 6-3 corners starting in the league.

"The optimum height is about 5-11," Reese said. "Many of the taller cornerbacks tend to get hurt."

Bigger cornerbacks tend to be more physical, which leads to more injuries. Bigger cornerbacks don't fear contact. That leaves them as targets sometimes.

There are plenty of very highly-rated, 5'10" CBs out there. Revis, Asante, Brent Grimes, Devin McCourty, Sheldon Brown, Ladarius Webb...hell, Antoine Winfield is 5' 9". I'm sure there are many more.

Posted

178lbs? good lord.

Posted

I'd rather get Gilmore or Jenkins if they're there.

1 person likes this

Posted

hes 5-10, he will get eaten alive by the big receivers in the league.

Asante Samuel.

Posted

I like him after Claiborne, Jenkins, and Gillmore

1 person likes this

Posted

more about the weight. 178 is a feather in this league.

can't discount him putting on weight in an NFL program of course, but i'm still leery.

where is this guy projected to get grabbed?

Posted

He is scrawny and has awkward footwork. I would pass.

Posted

can't discount him putting on weight in an NFL program of course, but i'm still leery.

He put on 5 pounds from the bowl game to the combine. I don't think gaining weight is an issue with him in an NFL regimen.

Posted

I've actually seen a mock that had us grabbing Dline first, then Hosley second. May have been Walter football, but I can't remember.

Posted

He put on 5 pounds from the bowl game to the combine. I don't think gaining weight is an issue with him in an NFL regimen.

I could even help him with that.

Posted

5'10 is not what scares me, but when facing bigger WRs he gets pushed around. Streeter abused him, Quick had a decent game on him, Hill as well. Givens had big game on him, and they are around the same size(Givens and Hosley). but the guy is a ball hawk you have to love that aspect of his game.

Posted

Jayron Hosley on sport science

1 person likes this