Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peppermint9030

The Case For Coples At 9...

I see things differently.

There are numbers and there are impact numbers.

No point in debating Peppers anymore. Everyone has their opinions.

Everyone quotes number of tackles; but, to me that is bogus unless it is broken into how many of the tackles were behind the yard of scrimmage, at the yard of scrimmage for no gain.

I just believe at #9 a player that unquestionably brings it has to be the pick

If Couples didn't bring it against the ACC, what makes anyone think he will bring it against the much tougher competition in the NFL. I don't. I don't count though. I just believe leopards don't change their spots..

that stat you speak of is called tackle for lost. in which he had 15.5 with 55 tackles overall. and that is with questions about his motor.

I guess we will see what Rivera thinks of him, stats or not.

I guess the good news for the Panthers is that they are so poor on defense, talent wise, that it would be hard to screw up...almost anyone they pick is an instant upgrade.

Coples is much more similar to mario than peppers. They are both power guys who have some speed where as peppers was a speed guy who hads some power. That being said I'd take cox given the chance. Better production better motor.

The one thing I will concede is there's no depth at DE in this draft. If you skip Ingram and Coples there won't be anyone worthy of our 40th pick. If you skip that pick there wont be anyone in the 4th round or later period. PFF was talking about how Greg Hardy was taking way to many snaps. Combine that with the common knowledge that CJ was taking to many snaps and you have a case for a DE. This of course brings us back to Fletcher Cox who can play all over. Cox had a 10yrd split that was close to or better than Peppers.

"a speed guy who had some power"

Peppers?

really?

OMG where are these clowns coming from?

Oops. How silly of me to have an opinion. And in all places an Internet sports forum. Since everyone obviously respects your thoughts, let's hear them? Peppers truly was a speed rusher first everything else second. Coples doesn't really seem to compare favorably to peppers in my view.

I agree with some of the other posters, Coples is way better inside as a rush DT than an explosive pass rushing end. We could play him at end for first and second downs then move him inside where our pass rush was really horrible. We gave up a lot of third and longs because the QB's could just step up in the pocket and do whatever they wanted. We need pressure up the middle if we ever want to stop Brees, that is the one thing he can not handle. And I do not want E. Brown, he is fast but awful at tackling and has pretty poor instincts for a LB. Eh, what do I know anyway...I am just a poor forum newb, not super talented like you guys.

I think Coples will be a good pro. I'd be happy if the Panthers drafted him. He would change the dynamic of the front four immediately.

Oops. How silly of me to have an opinion. And in all places an Internet sports forum. Since everyone obviously respects your thoughts, let's hear them? Peppers truly was a speed rusher first everything else second. Coples doesn't really seem to compare favorably to peppers in my view.

You guys and character issues its disgusting...The guy will be motivated to play in the NFL...What if we didn't take Cam because his accuracy didn't look amazing in college and the guy had character issues like stealing and lying? Maybe we should have skiped on the amazing physical attributes and played it safe on Gabbert, If you play it safe in the NFL draft and skip on someone this freakishly athletic your destined for failure. Alot of players that show it all in college end up capped out when they get to the NFL. What I see in Coples is a guy that needs to learn to play 100% every down, (a few million will do that) and needs to get a TAD bit quicker and the guy will be a fuging animal...For you people that say "I wanna see he's in it for the game not the cash..." your and idiot the whole league is about cash, our boy Cam is doing all he can to win why? Because if you win you get paid...

Since you have an opinion of Peppers that clearly defies common sense to such a degree that even you have toned it down since I called you out I don't think my time is warranted here. But since it has been requested I will lend that this has nothing to do with your view on the comparison. In fact comparison has nothing to do with nothing insofar as drafts go. Making comparisons is solely for conversation and the TV pundits. A comparison is something used to dumb a description down so that the public and most of the industry parrots can digest it.

That you said Peppers was "a speed guy who had some power" just struck me as probably the single most asinine assessment of the man ever. Congrats on that.

The one thing I will concede is there's no depth at DE in this draft. If you skip Ingram and Coples there won't be anyone worthy of our 40th pick. If you skip that pick there wont be anyone in the 4th round or later period. PFF was talking about how Greg Hardy was taking way to many snaps. Combine that with the common knowledge that CJ was taking to many snaps and you have a case for a DE. This of course brings us back to Fletcher Cox who can play all over. Cox had a 10yrd split that was close to or better than Peppers.

disagree with your statement.Nick Perry, Vinny Curry, Chandler Jones, Andre Branch, Shea McClellin, Whitney Mercilus would all be worth a look if they are there at 40.

i'd be happy with the pick but he doesn't have a good first step... he's slow to get up but he's powerful as hell. Even when he was at end he played like a tackle.