Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Melvin Ingram....its Meant To Happen

45 posts in this topic

Posted

If we were going to a 34 D, then Ingram would be the obvious choice. However, I don't think that's realistic.

Posted

I have seen just as many scouts say that Ingram fits in a 4-3 better than a 3-4 than compared to 3-4 vs 4-3.

Posted

u know were switching to 3-4 right?

We'll use the 3-4 with the all black uniforms, and the 4-3 with the regular uniforms.

Posted

Would you call Hardy and Johnson tweeners too? All of them are practically the same size.

Norwood weight 240, Keiser 260, Applewhite 260. Ingram played last year at 264, now 276. Johnson and Hardy are both in the upper 270 ranges. The question becomes whether or not Ingram can maintain that bulk without affecting his speed, and whether he'll be a good run defender. There's no evidence to support either claim. Even if he is the same size as Hardy, the worst run defending right end in the NFL, that's not necessarily a good thing.

Bottom line, he's short and small. Not a big fan of taking him in the top ten with those measurables.

Posted

I was skeptical at first, but a Von Miller type role does sound pretty awesome.... I just like Thomas Davis, and hope he can come back from his injury is all.

Posted

Norwood weight 240, Keiser 260, Applewhite 260. Ingram played last year at 264, now 276. Johnson and Hardy are both in the upper 270 ranges. The question becomes whether or not Ingram can maintain that bulk without affecting his speed, and whether he'll be a good run defender. There's no evidence to support either claim. Even if he is the same size as Hardy, the worst run defending right end in the NFL, that's not necessarily a good thing.

Bottom line, he's short and small. Not a big fan of taking him in the top ten with those measurables.

When did he gain 12 pounds. At the combine he was listed as 6'1" 264 lbs and ran a 4.79 40.

Posted

When did he gain 12 pounds. At the combine he was listed as 6'1" 264 lbs and ran a 4.79 40.

I had it backwards. SC listed him at 276, he weighed in at 264. So even smaller than originally thought. Awesome.

Posted

a 6'1 260 pound d linemen....

i'll pass

Posted

I had it backwards. SC listed him at 276, he weighed in at 264. So even smaller than originally thought. Awesome.

He is not too small to play DE. He could easily put on 10-12 pounds but he is where he is at to be able to play OLB or DE.

People get hung on numbers like arm length but honestly that is all overhyped. Guys like Justin Tuck supposedly have long arm length at 33 inches. So 11/2 inches of arm length determine whether you will be successful or not? I don't think so.

Posted

a 6'1 260 pound d linemen....

i'll pass

But a 6'2" 270 guy is worth 76 millions right??

Posted

Carolina already knows that guy can play. Numbers might be overhyped, but at this point, they're the biggest indicators of future performance available. Why isn't it reasonable to assume that a small defensive end will struggle against the run, or that a short one will struggle to get his hands on pass blockers? We've seen it before--trends are the reason that numbers are valued. The trends go against him. He could be an exception, but the top ten isn't really a spot where I want hope to be a deciding factor.

Posted

6'2 is to short for my liking. My ideal DE is 6'4-6'6 275