Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Are We So Bad With Our 2Nd Round Picks?

38 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The average bust rate is 50% in the 2nd round in the NFL while ours is about 80% unless you want to include Marshall and Martin as a success then we are about average..My guess is we have deviated from the BPA and drafted for a need.I have also linked a study that is a bit outdated but still relevant.Who in this years 2nd round is a sure thing and should we draft them?

http://walterfootbal...tology408_2.php

:Armanti Edwards (2011)

Jimmy Clausen (2010)

Ryan Kalil

Sherrod Martin (2009)

packed in a deal to get Jeff Otah (2008)

Dwayne Jarrett (2007)

Richard Marshall (2006)

Eric Shelton (2005)

Keary Colbert (2004)

Bruce Nelson (2003)

DeShaun Foster (2002)

Posted · Report post

because they are the highest picks hurney is willing to make major gambles with. he is very good in the first round.

fwiw clausen made sense as a pick. sherrod martin looked like a sure thing and only started to nosedive last year. dwayne jarrett would've been snatched up by somebody else, as he was highly touted nearly unanimously as an excellent choice. marshall was effective for us for years.

Posted · Report post

bad luck

Posted · Report post

At some point you have to question due diligence but I tend to agree with csx, bad luck.

Posted · Report post

bad luck

Could be with the exception of A Edwards

Posted · Report post

Its probably cause we put more time in the first pick and tbh our 1st Rounders are safe picks. Its why we don't have many impact players.

Posted · Report post

Interesting that Hurney just said that the reason they have been more successful with the 1st over the 2nd that they stuck to the drafting philosophy of Best player available.

Posted · Report post

The Armanti trade was seriously stupid though. Choosing him wasn't a bad thing, but he could've been a 4th/5th round pick.

Posted · Report post

The Armanti trade was seriously stupid though. Choosing him wasn't a bad thing, but he could've been a 4th/5th round pick.

I agree

Posted · Report post

look at the Ravens 2nd rounders over the past few years, and consider that all of these were toward the very end of the 2nd. All of them after our selections I believe.

2011. Torrey Smith

2010. Terrence Cody

2009. Paul Kruger

2008. Ray Rice

Posted · Report post

look at the Ravens 2nd rounders over the past few years, and consider that all of these were toward the very end of the 2nd. All of them after our selections I believe.

2011. Torrey Smith

2010. Terrence Cody

2009. Paul Kruger

2008. Ray Rice

Pretty impressive ........we need to get it right this year.I think there will be starting caliber talent when we pick and would feel better going that route versus reaching for a position of need.I am worried about the cb position in the 2nd.

Posted · Report post

and to answer the OP, it's the same reason any team doesn't draft well... poor scouting/evaluation