• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heyyall

Let's Be Honest Here........

How many points did they give up to New England in their two Super Bowl wins?

Matchups matter. You beat NYG going deep last year....NE flat out didn't do that last year.

They were ranked 27th for a reason. Very good defenses dont rank 27th. Pitt and Baltimore are model defenses...not NYG. Shoot, I'd say the Bears are consistantly a better D if you want to talk 43 D

2 of the last 5 championship teams were giants teams

also btdubs the giants can beat any team because of their QB and defensive line, and they also have good talent in the secondary. Webster, Phillips and Rolle are all solid starters. In comparison, the only great player we have in the secondary is Gamble. Free Safety has consistently been a revolving door for years, Godfrey is just okay on his best day and was one of the worst players in the secondary last year. Munnerlyn was a horrid corner as well. While much of this can be attributed to lack of pass rush, if Barron somehow falls to the 2nd round I suggest we take him.

the least talented unit they have had on defense is their linebacking core. of course panther fans/keuchly fawners would like to ignore this because they don't understand how to interpret recent success.

2 of the last 5 championship teams were giants teams

also btdubs the giants can beat any team because of their QB and defensive line, and they also have good talent in the secondary. Webster, Phillips and Rolle are all solid starters. In comparison, the only great player we have in the secondary is Gamble. Free Safety has consistently been a revolving door for years, Godfrey is just okay on his best day and was one of the worst players in the secondary last year. Munnerlyn was a horrid corner as well. While much of this can be attributed to lack of pass rush, if Barron somehow falls to the 2nd round I suggest we take him.

the least talented unit they have had on defense is their linebacking core. of course panther fans/keuchly fawners would like to ignore this because they don't understand how to interpret recent success.

Okay. That doesn't make the Giants the model team. Both years they played good at the end. That is what is important. That is why they won.

You are trying to make there D the ideal D.....and it hasn't been consistantly good. Best overall teams don't always win in sports either....which is why sports is so fun to watch

Okay. That doesn't make the Giants the model team. Both years they played good at the end. That is what is important. That is why they won.

You are trying to make there D the ideal D.....and it hasn't been consistantly good. Best overall teams don't always win in sports either....which is why sports is so fun to watch

their D is the ideal D lol

if you still haven't gotten that defensive strategy has evolved today to putting more emphasis on forcing the opponent into making mistakes instead of just trying to be stingy since rule changes have put a dent in their ability to do so then whatever

exactly, just like more talent ad CB won't matter if the dline isn't playing well.

Beginning of last season, everybody thought the giants were in trouble due to injury, and lack of talent at cornerback. There pass rush is what carried that defense.

You mean the 25th ranked defense in the regular season. BTW they weren't the best defense in the playoffs either. What carried that defense was an offense that kept scoring and a quarterback who was money in the 4th quarter.

if you still haven't gotten that defensive strategy has evolved today to putting more emphasis on forcing the opponent into making mistakes instead of just trying to be stingy since rule changes have put a dent in their ability to do so then whatever

That's what a Jim Johnson defense does with an aggressive blitzing scheme by the safeties and linebackers.

You mean the 25th ranked defense in the regular season. BTW they weren't the best defense in the playoffs either. What carried that defense was an offense that kept scoring and a quarterback who was money in the 4th quarter.

did you watch the games lol

I don't know why it doesn't convince me that shutting out the falcons offense, keeping two high powered offenses to 20 points or less (Pats, Packers), and shutting out basically every single receiver except for Vernon Davis against the niners implies offensive dominance

That's what a Jim Johnson defense does with an aggressive blitzing scheme by the safeties and linebackers.

and if the defensive line is overall terrible, it doesn't matter who's blitzing because they're giving up about 70-100 lbs and they won't be able to get into the backfield

Then they would consistatly be a top defense....and they aren't. Last 3 years.

27th

7th

13th

Then look at a team like Pitt....

1st

2nd

5th

The last 3 years.

Too hard to be consistatly good in today's NFL on D relying on your front 4. Gotta get creative.

Offense scored twice in each of the last two games. That wasn't an offense that kept scoring.

well unless we can clone dick lebeau i don't think your example is very practical

did you watch the games lol

I don't know why it doesn't convince me that shutting out the falcons offense, keeping two high powered offenses to 20 points or less (Pats, Packers), and shutting out basically every single receiver except for Vernon Davis against the niners implies offensive dominance

Of course I watched the games which is why I said what I did. The defense was not great during the year but they did peak in the playoffs. You could say the same thing about New England as well. They were awful all year and much better in the playoffs. Does that mean we should emulate them or should we simply strive to improve on both sides of the ball if we make it into the playoffs.

You guys are insinuating the Giants draft a D lineman every year in the first round. They hit a home run with Tuck in the 3rd, I'll give you that. Kiwanuka was a drafted DE that's played as a LB. JPP has been a stud. Since Coughlin took the job they've made 8 first round picks, 2 have been on D-line (including Kiwanuka the linebacker). If you go back before Coughlin they get Osi in the 2nd. Strahan was a 2nd rounder way back in 1993.

So we got to follow the Giants formula....They drafted 1 good DE in the first round in the past 25 years. What we can take from them is to draft big physical guys with potential. Just compare J Tuck to Everette Brown... We need J Tuck type guys.

and if the defensive line is overall terrible, it doesn't matter who's blitzing because they're giving up about 70-100 lbs and they won't be able to get into the backfield

Anyone who thinks we will currently be terrible on the line and that somehow a rookie DT or DE is suddenly going to turn everything around has more problems than I can fix with a few posts.